Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Finally signed up for the gym! Have some questions though? *PICS* of stomach

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 17 Replies

What do you wear to the gym? and how much is your membership fee? I just signed up yesterday and its $45 a month. I have no clue what to wear though. I was thinking leggings and a tank top but the tank feels too revealing so maybe a white t-shirt?

Is $45 too much? It includes use of the workout equipment, pool, basketball court, racquetball court, spa and steam room (sauna). How often do you go to the gym? How long do you work out? I was thinking of going on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Should I also include Sundays?

Thanks ladies !

Pics of my stomach below:

Front view

Side view:

Handful of glob (lol) :

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I wear what I am comfortable in--t-shirts and atheletic shorts.  I won't wear a tank top--I don't like exposing my flapping arms like that.  I won't wear pants cause I know I will get too hot.

$45 seems pretty average for a full service gym in a major market.  It's about what I was paying.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday sounds like a good start.  What do you plan to do during that time?  A good workout routine includes both cardio and strength training.  You can do both in a single workout as long as you don't do the same body part 2 days in a row (I am referring to strength training.)

Noni2319
by Chrissy on May. 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I would wear whatever you'll feel comfortable in.

I don't have a membership so no advice on the things.
SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM

IDK yet. The membership comes with a complimentary personal training assessment so when I go for that I will kind of pinpoint what I want to work out and what my goals are and see what the results are. I want to work on my stomach mainly. My legs and thighs are pretty toned its just the flabby stomach.

I currently weigh 167 down from 177.

Quoting CLEKate:

I wear what I am comfortable in--t-shirts and atheletic shorts.  I won't wear a tank top--I don't like exposing my flapping arms like that.  I won't wear pants cause I know I will get too hot.

$45 seems pretty average for a full service gym in a major market.  It's about what I was paying.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday sounds like a good start.  What do you plan to do during that time?  A good workout routine includes both cardio and strength training.  You can do both in a single workout as long as you don't do the same body part 2 days in a row (I am referring to strength training.)

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I wear what I'm comfortable in. I pay 81 a month to the YMCA. I go Monday Wednesday and Friday for about and hour hour and a half.
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Clothing- be comfortable. That is the #1 rule for clothing. If you are comfy in leggings and a tank, then wear it. Personally, I am comfortable in a sports bra, moisture wicking shirt and shorts with my socks and shoes. If I am running, I will wear my running shoes..if I'm pulling weights or taking classes, I wear retired running shoes. 

I go to LA Fitness and pay $29 per month. Everything is included except for the kids' club, which I don't use as my kids are at school when I go. 

How often do I go? It used to be 5 days per week, but here of late, it's been never and I've been working out at home when I can. 

How long? You don't want to use me as a barometer for time... I will workout anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on my day and time. 

I am a runner, so I either run on the treadmill  or outside.. I also pull weights and take classes. It just depends on my day, time and mood. 

It really depends on you as to how often you go. It is recommended that adults get at least 30 minutes of activity 5x per week, however, 60-90 minutes is best. If you are just starting out, you might want to go for 3 days and then you can increase your frequency as your fitness improves. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Quoting SexyDiva19:

IDK yet. The membership comes with a complimentary personal training assessment so when I go for that I will kind of pinpoint what I want to work out and what my goals are and see what the results are. I want to work on my stomach mainly. My legs and thighs are pretty toned its just the flabby stomach.

I currently weigh 167 down from 177.

Quoting CLEKate:

If you have belly fat, you need to concentrate on eating very cleanly. This coupled with cardio 3-4x per week, strength training 2-3x per week and flexibility/core work 2-3x per week is what will get rid of belly fat. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

With my work schedule Monday-Wednesdays I get off at 5:30 and the gym closes at 9:30, Thursdays I get off at 3:30pm and the gym still closes at 9:30. Fridays I only work like 2 or 3 hours, gym closes at 8. Saturdays and Sundays I'm off and the gym closes at 5pm on both days.

I was thinking of going Thursdays-Saturdays with Sundays-Wednesdays being my walking days here at home and eating healthy. I was think about working out about 2-3 hours a day. Got to build up to it though

Quoting mcginnisc:

Clothing- be comfortable. That is the #1 rule for clothing. If you are comfy in leggings and a tank, then wear it. Personally, I am comfortable in a sports bra, moisture wicking shirt and shorts with my socks and shoes. If I am running, I will wear my running shoes..if I'm pulling weights or taking classes, I wear retired running shoes. 

I go to LA Fitness and pay $29 per month. Everything is included except for the kids' club, which I don't use as my kids are at school when I go. 

How often do I go? It used to be 5 days per week, but here of late, it's been never and I've been working out at home when I can. 

How long? You don't want to use me as a barometer for time... I will workout anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on my day and time. 

I am a runner, so I either run on the treadmill  or outside.. I also pull weights and take classes. It just depends on my day, time and mood. 

It really depends on you as to how often you go. It is recommended that adults get at least 30 minutes of activity 5x per week, however, 60-90 minutes is best. If you are just starting out, you might want to go for 3 days and then you can increase your frequency as your fitness improves. 

childofGod995
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

for all that you are getting for that membership i would say it is a good price. i wear athletic shorts and a t-shirt. however, if you are going to spend the amount you are, you should go at least a few times a week. do not do like a lot of people do and stop going and still have to pay. as for my membership fee, my insurance pays for it so i have no idea how much it costs.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

thats another thing. Its a year contract so even if I stop going the $45 is taken out of my account every month :( I plan on making great use of it though :) Finally figured out my work out outfit. :D

Its a white T, blue leggings and althetic shoes.

Quoting childofGod995:

for all that you are getting for that membership i would say it is a good price. i wear athletic shorts and a t-shirt. however, if you are going to spend the amount you are, you should go at least a few times a week. do not do like a lot of people do and stop going and still have to pay. as for my membership fee, my insurance pays for it so i have no idea how much it costs.

cookiecounter
by New Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I pay 30 at LA fitness multi-club access.

I go 5-6 times a week. Usually at 4:30am before I go to work. Sometimes I go in the pm at 8.

I mostly focus on strength training and about once a week do a zumba class or cycling. However, I am going to start introducing more cardio.

I usually wear fitted capri workout pants, a sports bra, and a tshirt or a tank top.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)