Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Did you ask or were you offered?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

A tour that is? When I went a signed up for my membership the other day I told her I wanted to join, gave my billing information, signed up and that was it. The girl didn't offer a tour and I didn't ask for one (didn't even think about it)

I called today to see about scheduling my fitness assessment before starting to workout and I asked the guy on the phone where the workout equipment was located. He asked me if I had taken a tour and I said no. He said I was the 1st person he had ever heard of that hadn't taken a tour. I told him I wasn't offered one and said well you buy a car without test driving it 1st, right?

Is it my fault I didn't ask or it is the girl's fault for not offering? I mean I thought it was common sense but she didn't offer so I didn't ask.

What do you think?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dee06
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM

The fancy gym that I joined offered a tour and I took it. It had a pool, cardio room, weight room, a few rooms for classes, the locker room, different courts and a few other things. The Planet Fitness I joined did not offer a tour and even if it did I wouldn't have taken one. It is baically one big room with the locker rooms on the side and I've been a member before so I didn't really need one. 

I would think the big fancy ones would offer

Ptitchou
by on May. 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Not sure it matters. I've never been to a gym that didn't have tours. Only one that I'd thought I needed one in.

And I'd never buy a car without a test drive!
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I wasn't offered a tour at the gym I signed up at. However, I think it should be offered. I don't think you were wrong to not ask, I think every employee that works with people should say "you just signed up, would you like a tour?"

Silvertears1275
by on May. 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I think she definitely should have offered and I think he shouldn't have laid all the blame on you for not asking.  I mean, you could have had reasons for not asking, like not having time to do it right then, but she probably had no excuse other than just not wanting to take the time.

friendlymom48
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I dunno. My DH and I have always taken a tour before we signed up...then you have power to haggle over the price (like if the equipment is older or something )
Necie72
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

It's been years since I've joined a gym...  I was a Bally's member when they were Scandinavian and a lot classier then if you ask me...  They always offer because they want to get you to buy the most expensive membership...  The last gym that I joined was a women's gym and pretty small...  I can't remember if she offered a tour or not...  I remember it was almost closing time on a Saturday when I went to pay.  I knew I was going to join, so it was just a formality for me...  I do remember her putting me on the elliptical while she finished up what she had to do before closing...  I think she signed me up for an "official" tour or something with a trainer, because I do remember having a trainer show a few of us all of the equipment and giving advice, etc.

I think it's supposed to be offered no matter what.  She may have figured that you had come on a visitors pass before or something?  No reason not to offer it just in case...

illinoismommy83
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I used to work at a gym. We gladly gave tours when asked, but a lot of people came in waving their credit card at me and were ready to sign up so the word "tour" never came up. They paid and went to work out right away.

illinoismommy83
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I used to work at a gym. No one ever haggled over the price, not even once. I'm not sure what we would even say if they did ask..."Uh, our prices are listed here in this brochure."

These days with automated everything, your monthly gym membership just comes out. You can pick your membership status, but the prices are firm. 

Quoting friendlymom48:

I dunno. My DH and I have always taken a tour before we signed up...then you have power to haggle over the price (like if the equipment is older or something )

childofGod995
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

i think you should take the tour. i know when i toured my gym i was even showed how to adjust the strength training machines to fit me correctly so i could do my reps.

3mom627
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

When we joined the gym we were given a couple of sessions with a personal trainer. We had been going to the gym for zumba before joining, so we didn't need a tour. I think you should have been offered one. Maybe it was just the idiot who was working the desk that day.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN