Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

meal replacements, protein shakes or healthy eating

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

of these three choices for weight loss, which do you choose to be the best and why?

by on May. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cbhs_teacher
by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Healthy eating. Meal replacements/shakes are an okay idea sometimes, but you aren't going to eat/drink them for the rest of your life. Its easier to learn how to eat good food well than have to end up gaining weight once you add real food in instead of shakes.

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Healthy eating.

Shakes and meal replacements don't teach you how to eat correctly--so when you stop your "diet" you stand a much higher chance of gaining all the weight back.

Just look at the number of gastric bypass patients that have started to regain weight a few years post surgery--they didn't have to learn how to eat with the surgery...the just had to limit what they ate.

In order to be successful in the long term, you need to learn how to eat to lose weight and also to maintain. 

Silvertears1275
by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Healthy eating. 

Even if you go the meal replacement route, you're eventually going to have to learn to eat healthy or it's all a waste of time (not to mention money, because they are very expensive).  I know two people who went the meal replacement route and one had to start "maintenance mode" with the shakes because she started gaining when she stopped, and the other is also struggling a lot to transition to healthy eating.  It just makes more sense to me to start out on the road you're going to have to be on anyway.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Well, I guess you know from our messages, but my vote is for healthy eating!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mama0106
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Healthy eating is great,but the shakes r good if use as a snack ,or if u so busy u have no time to grab something healthy I would pull out a protein shake that way u hav something in ur body .
t1gger143
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM
I like protein shakes because I'm really busy and it keeps me from grabbing snacks out. When I'm at home I try to reach for fruit.
3mom627
by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Healthy eating is the trick, but if you do something like Weight Wathers, sometimes once you go off it, you backslide. I tried diet pills, but they made me sick, so I quit. I did Weigth Watchers for awhile, but I wasn't losing hardly any weight, so I quit, started zumba and as I said, lost weight and the weight kept coming off until now. I don't know, maybe my new job as a secretary isn't as active as a teacher's aide. I don't know and am very frustrated.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Noni2319
by Chrissy on May. 19, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Healthy eating
wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Anyone who is losing weight and wants to keep it off, will choose healthy eating as the best option for long term success. Shakes and meal replacements can play a role....if you are running late some morning, or hungry and can't take the time for a meal, they can work here and there....many have a lot of sugar or sodium, chemicals etc that aren't  good.

mamaof3forlife
by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM
This

Quoting wahmx3:

Anyone who is losing weight and wants to keep it off, will choose healthy eating as the best option for long term success. Shakes and meal replacements can play a role....if you are running late some morning, or hungry and can't take the time for a meal, they can work here and there....many have a lot of sugar or sodium, chemicals etc that aren't  good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN