Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Grrrr!! Please help, I am so frustrated >:(

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 9 Replies

One month ago I started a regimen to include eating a healthy breakfast of either cooked oatmeal and a fruit or yogurt and a fruit. I rarely eat junk food, maybe once a week. I rarely eat fast food, also maybe once a week. I do aerobics or run 4-5 times a week. Lunch is usually a big salad and a lean protein. Meats aren't a problem, I eat chicken breast or fish. I stopped drinking coffee in the morning because it led me to overeat during the day. And I have gained 5 pounds!! What am I doing wrong??

I'm not overweight, per se, 145 and 5' 5". I'm trying to lose my spare tire which is the only place I have a "problem." My legs and arms are trim, my thighs and butt are jiggly but that doesn't bother me....that will tone up with exercise. Has anyone else run into this? It is incredibly frustrating, I thought I would have lost at least ONE pound in a month but that is not the case!!

Any suggestions, ideas as to what I am doing wrong?? Or do I need to give it more time? 

by on May. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cad1972
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I am going through same thing cut out a lot of bad habit, started exercising etc Only have lost 5lbs since mid March... I've gotten some great advice from some of the others on here, just keep eating healthy make healthier choices more foods with protein etc... Just have to keep at it... Good Luck!!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM

are you eating enough to support your work outs and such?

*if you aren't- that could be the problem

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Hi! Here's my thoughts. I'm not overweight anymore and I still want to lose some more fat. Once you don't have a lot of extra weight, losing fat can be harder. For one thing, it's harder to get a calorie deficit. Since we have less extra fat, it's best to go for smaller calorie deficits IMO but then it's easy to undo a week of small deficits each day with one high day. I highly recommend counting calories and measuring everything. I highly recommend resistance training if you don't already. Be it a body weight based program or barbell program. That helps make sure any weight you do lose is fat and not muscle.

My guess is that the 5 lbs you gained isn't fat gain but water weight.

Ok good luck. :)

Here are a couple of links that hopefully will make me seem less confusing ?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
Francess33
by on May. 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You made perfect sense :) and I was considering doing resistance training since what I'm doing doesn't seem to be giving me results. I do seem bloated (TMI, sorry) but I didn't want that to become an excuse for me, kwim? 

Those are great tips, thank you. And I'll check out those links later on. Thanks again!

Quoting Stefanie83:

Hi! Here's my thoughts. I'm not overweight anymore and I still want to lose some more fat. Once you don't have a lot of extra weight, losing fat can be harder. For one thing, it's harder to get a calorie deficit. Since we have less extra fat, it's best to go for smaller calorie deficits IMO but then it's easy to undo a week of small deficits each day with one high day. I highly recommend counting calories and measuring everything. I highly recommend resistance training if you don't already. Be it a body weight based program or barbell program. That helps make sure any weight you do lose is fat and not muscle.

My guess is that the 5 lbs you gained isn't fat gain but water weight.

Ok good luck. :)

Here are a couple of links that hopefully will make me seem less confusing ?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Stefanie has some great advice...good luck mama!

Francess33
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I'm sure I could cut more calories and not have a problem there lol Another thing I could do is journal what and how much I eat so I'm not "tricking" myself. 

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

are you eating enough to support your work outs and such?

*if you aren't- that could be the problem

cad1972
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I use the iphone app Lose It and if the food isn't on the list you just select bar code and let phone read bar code and it will store it for you. It keeps up with the calories and you can also put in your exercise. You can put in your goal weight and the time frame your wanting to loose it and it will track your progress. 

childofGod995
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

i hear that protein intake is very important.

Margrocks
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I feel your pain!  I was so frustrated a little over a year ago and was ready to throw in the towel when I discovered a wonderful company that has changed my health.  I lost 15 lbs just using a few of the supplements over the course of 3-4 months.  What's even more wonderful is that I have kept the weight off.  I have to say this is what motivated me to start exercising again!  Since then I've shared this with many other people who have also had amazing, life changing results.  Throw me an e-mail if you'd like to learn more.  changethewayyoufeel@gmail.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)