Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Help! Nutrition related

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 23 Replies
I have been working out for four months and I lost a little less than 10#s. That's just ridiculous given the fact that I work out 5x/wk. Even though I dnt eat 100% clean, I have made changes on my diet and I try to eat more veggies than bfore. I dnt drink juice/carbonated drinks only on very rare occassion. I stick to unsweet tea and water. Rarely eat chips or cookies or stuff like that. However, I do eat out once or twice per week, but I try to do it early so that I can burn as many calories of the meal I ate. I have aleays struggled to loose weight, even as a teen. I had my thyroid checked, everything is ok. I was diagnosed prediabetic just recently. I eat a high protein diet and try to limit my carbs (I eat everything whole grain). Is a high protein diet ok for a prediabetic? This are the veggies I normally eat:

Yello squash
Zucchinn
Carrots
Cabagge
Sweet potatoes
Mini sweet peppers
Onions
Broccoli
Green beans
Cauliflower
Tomatoes
Jalapeno peppers
Romaine lettuce
Cucumber
Radish

Sweet potatoes, zucc and yellow squash I always sautee in olive oli; can't eat them any other way, personal preference. Is this ok?

I also eat brown rice or quinoa at dinner. Should I not eat it at dinner time since is a carb? I've heard one shouldnt eat carbs at dinner when trying to loose weight.

Oh, I also have steel cut oats in the morning on a regular basis.

Should I substitute egg whites for eggs to cut calories. I try to stay on the lower side of my calorie range for the most part. I wish I could post a day's worth of food but it varies from day to day.

Sorry my post is long, but I really need help. I'm beyond frustrated with my weightloss and today I almost day screw it, I give up, but I know that's not right. I'm willing to take any advice :(
by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

How many calories do you eat?

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I eat around 1363 or just over it (bmr 1363-1613)
she-ra2000
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Are you eating throughout the day or just about 3 big meals? That could be the problem. I just realized I've been starving my body by waiting so far in between meals. So I'm trying to eat more small amonts throughout the day to keep up my metabolism. Good luck!!

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I try to eat every 3hrs, but, yes, sometimes is longer than that. I'll work on that.

Quoting she-ra2000:

Are you eating throughout the day or just about 3 big meals? That could be the problem. I just realized I've been starving my body by waiting so far in between meals. So I'm trying to eat more small amonts throughout the day to keep up my metabolism. Good luck!!

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
ETA: I eat around 1363 or just over that (bmr 1363-1613). I know from ur posts that u have lost a good amount of weight. Do u think it's ok to sautee my veggies? Are the veggies I listed on my op good for weightloss?

Quoting charlotsomtimes:How many calories do you eat?
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Quoting mamaof3forlife:

ETA: I eat around 1363 or just over that (bmr 1363-1613). I know from ur posts that u have lost a good amount of weight. Do u think it's ok to sautee my veggies? Are the veggies I listed on my op good for weightloss?

Quoting charlotsomtimes:How many calories do you eat?

if you are using olive oil - I think it's fine. Honestly, it sounds like you eat well (better than me!)

*I thought you might not be eating enough when I asked, but seems you have your range so...

maybe go just a bit higher for a couple weeks and see if it helps (instead of the low range -maybe shoot for the middle)

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Thanx I'll try that :)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 21, 2013 at 5:39 AM

I would definitely eat more often. Sounds like you're doing good mama!

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Thanx :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I would definitely eat more often. Sounds like you're doing good mama!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I'm diabetic.  I eat low carb....no carbs from grains or "low-carb" fake food products, though.  All of my carbs are from real food:  veggies/some dairy (cheese)/some fruit.  I shoot for around 60 carbs or less a day, and I've lost weight with no problem if I stick to that.  Seriously:  you can pack in a huge amount of veggies (non-starchy) without adding a lot of calories or carbs, and you get PLENTY of fiber that way.  I don't even bother with counting calories any more. 

I eat whole eggs, usually 2 a day or more.  The egg whites are just protein.  The nutritional value is in the yolk.  I also eat red meat several times a week (lunches and dinners), chicken usually 3x week, and fish.  Gotta keep to a large variety of meats and veggies, add in nuts a couple of times a week, in order to get all the nutrition your body needs.  Drink 60 to 80 oz. of water daily.  I eat only 3x daily unless my blood sugars drop too low. 

The thing with diabetics (or anyone for that matter):  all carbs turn to glucose in your body....simple or complex only decides HOW FAST those carbs turn to glucose.  Glucose triggers an insulin response, which tells our cells to use or store the glucose for energy.  If you want to burn fat, you need to limit how many carbs your body takes in and turn your body into a fat-burning machine...a.k.a. ketosis.  Ketosis is NOT harmful to your body...it's a normal process that uses fat for fuel.  It occurs in every single person. 

I weigh myself weekly.  If I stick to my low-carb guidelines, I can easily lose a pound or two a week on a 1200 - 1500 calorie diet and just normal daily activity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)