Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What are your road trip snacks?

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
So I'm unprepared today. I overslept and forgot my lunch bag on the table. I'm traveling for work in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but gas stations and trick stops for the next 3 hrs. (And not the kind that have fresh fruit/veggies). I had my Greek yogurt and peanut butter for breakfast but u don't think I can wait til 3 for lunch.

When your only options are gas stations what do you look for to eat?
by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CrazedMomof2
by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I would look for fruit. A lot of places have bananas and apples to choose from. Look in the cold section, you may be able to find a string cheese?

If those are a no go, I would get some pretzels. Or popcorn? IDK what else.

I always try to find a grocery store with a deli. 

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Yeah I decided to suck it up, grabbed a water and kept driving. No grocery stores without adding another 30 min to my trip and risking getting lost lol!

There are good chains that carry lots of fruit and veggies when I get closer to my destination but where I am it's gas stations and bars. Not even fast food!

My usual is some home made smoothie, a bag of baby carrots, low salt almonds and hunmus
mandaboo99
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Almonds, trail mix things like that :)

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Beef jerky. Some dried fruit. Water. If we are talking gas station fare.
paramore-marie
by on May. 22, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Beef jerky, water, tea(sugar free), pretzels, trail mix, string cheese. Sometimes you can find some dried fruits. Kettle chips.
RockintheVi
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Most quick stops carry the protein bars and nuts. Sounds like you have the right idea about what to eat so just scrounge around. Been there, done that too. Sometimes you have to be creative but don't be so trapped in "dieting" mode. It's always about lifestyle change but don't freak out over getting a few too many calories on one day. Sometimes relaxing your standards a bit for a day here or there can help rev up your metabolism again. Hope you have (or have had) a good trip. God Bless you!

natbaj
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hmmmmm....

Almonds, Fresh Fruit and my beloved Shakeology...lol.... need all 3 items with me everyday :) and I am content...

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Stocked up this morning and I'm ready for day 2 on the road. I've got my Greek yogurt with pb and vanilla, a container of blackberries, a banana, almonds, homemade venison jerky (thanks to my inlaws) , and a bag of baby carrots and a sliced cucumber. That along with 3 liters of water and my audiobook, I'm ready for another 5 hours on the road!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)