Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

how many hours before weigh in should be the last time i eat that day

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

some people i have known have stopped eating around noon and very little if any at all the day of weigh in. if i get weighed in at 5:30pm, what time should i stop eating before then.?

by on May. 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I wouldn't let your weigh in get in the way of eating normally.  Be realistic about weigh ins and know that they are limited in their ability to measure fat loss because weight will fluctuate up and down within a few lbs from day to day and time to time. Look at the long term trend. 

aprilsalcro
by on May. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Wait.... some people don't eat a certain time before they weight in ? I weight in after I wake up in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaof3forlife
by on May. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I weigh in first thing in the morning after going to the restroom (sorry if tmi).
TCain0001
by on May. 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The best time for weigh in is once a week, same day usually, and first thing in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom and before you eat.....that way your system is completely empty.  You don't want to stop eating early and then weigh in in the evening.......you've got food in your system!

Silvertears1275
by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

If there is a reason you're weighing in the evening (I'm assuming you're maybe weighing at the gym with a trainer or something...), I would just be consistent with your meal times.  Not eating at all or very little just because you're weighing that day seems kind of silly to me. 

dee06
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I weigh myself in the morning first thing

Noni2319
by Chrissy on May. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM
I weighing the morning before I eat.

If you weigh in in the evening I would stick with the regular daily schedule. I wouldn't go without eating.
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Why does first thing in the am with no food/water this make it the "best" time?  Sure it may be the best time for you, but that doesn't make it the best time for everyone.

My guess is because you are equating "best" with the lowest weight.  Showing the lowest weight doesn't make the WI time the best...

My definition of "best time" is one that is consistent for the individual.  If you can consistenly WI at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon, then that is your best time.

Consistency is what you should follow with regards to WI time and also food/drink/exercise before a WI.  If you are consistent, then your scale will show true results.

I personally think it is riduculous to stop eating/drinking/exercising a certain amount of time prior to a WI.  All that does is attempt to "trick" the scale into showing a lower weight.

Quoting TCain0001:

The best time for weigh in is once a week, same day usually, and first thing in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom and before you eat.....that way your system is completely empty.  You don't want to stop eating early and then weigh in in the evening.......you've got food in your system!

TCain0001
by on May. 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I was not only told this by my DOCTOR, but I was on the Medical Weightloss Clinic diet, and even their nutritionists said the same thing, tyvm!

Quoting CLEKate:

Why does first thing in the am with no food/water this make it the "best" time?  Sure it may be the best time for you, but that doesn't make it the best time for everyone.

My guess is because you are equating "best" with the lowest weight.  Showing the lowest weight doesn't make the WI time the best...

My definition of "best time" is one that is consistent for the individual.  If you can consistenly WI at 5 pm on a Friday afternoon, then that is your best time.

Consistency is what you should follow with regards to WI time and also food/drink/exercise before a WI.  If you are consistent, then your scale will show true results.

I personally think it is riduculous to stop eating/drinking/exercising a certain amount of time prior to a WI.  All that does is attempt to "trick" the scale into showing a lower weight.

Quoting TCain0001:

wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Best time is generally first thing in the morning as you will have fewer variations based on what you have eaten that day and how much exercise/movement you have done. High sodium will have a bigger effect on weight loss/gain over eating other foods. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN