Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do you fight cravings?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 30 Replies
So, I'm a nursing mother of a six month old and a 2 year old. I'm 70lbs heavier than I want to be. I struggle with bored eating. But I'm struggling with things to do.

First, nursing makes me hungry. I do try to have healthy snacks. I don't always succeed. That's remedied by not having stuff available. Second, before a snack, I make myself drink a bottle of water to make sure I'm not mistaking thirst for hunger.

I struggle with consistent exercise. Gym is out currently (gym was too pricy for our budget. The rest lack day care). I try walks, but listening to the baby cry the entire time is difficult. Running is a slow go since we live in very hilly place. I'm working on it but I have to save my knees and my 200lb frame is heavy. Excuses. All of them. I know.

But how do you fight the hunger feeling? I always feel hungry---even if I know I shouldn't be. :/ I'm working on self control....but it's tough when I'm home. All. Day. Long.
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I used to bored eat!! Yes ma'am....I would put the kids down for their nap (1-3 hours, daily) and I would EAT the entire time. What's worse was, I'd chase it with soda (diet coke, probably the worst thing) the entire time. Then I would eat a big meal for dinner:(
When I started on my path to losing weight, I knew that my snacking was a problem.

I ditched the soda cold turkey. I stocked my fridge with fruits, sliced turkey, cheese, hummus, veggies, etc. I also started making my own smoothies and making green tea.

Probably what helped me during my "weak" time of the day, aka nap time, was sitting down and pinning workouts, doing a workout video, or reading. I allowed myself one snack, but stuck to drinking water otherwise.

If you notice you have a weak time of day also, face it, and change what you do. It sounds like you've already made some great changes, though!
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I plan my day of food every day,and always allow for something like a cookie or whatever.

I never feel deprived that way, and I eat all  the time it seems!

*do you count calories?

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM
My weakness is sugar lately. Ive found eating an apple helps, and i try to drink water to remind myself i dont need the snack. I uses to do wordfinds while i nursed so i didnt snack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM
No. I drive myself crazy doing so.

And I lack the self control to stick to a plan. It sucks. I KNOW that needs to change.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

I plan my day of food every day,and always allow for something like a cookie or whatever.

I never feel deprived that way, and I eat all  the time it seems!

*do you count calories?

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

what about gum?

that can help too

Ptitchou
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I don't typically eat while nursing. Just the times between when baby is playing/quiet. If I'm "tied down" with nursing/sleeping infant, I'm not looking through the pantry.

Quoting lillucky8:

My weakness is sugar lately. Ive found eating an apple helps, and i try to drink water to remind myself i dont need the snack. I uses to do wordfinds while i nursed so i didnt snack.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I try to have food every two hrs or so to keep myself from getting hungry, protein, fruits, veggies, etc. And a nalgene bottle that i fill at least twice a day for my water. Maybe phase out the junk so you arent tempted, ive been refusing to buy the chips i love so i wont eat them

Quoting Ptitchou:

I don't typically eat while nursing. Just the times between when baby is playing/quiet. If I'm "tied down" with nursing/sleeping infant, I'm not looking through the pantry.

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockintheVi
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you are trying. I have RA and I can't exercise much...and usually when I do, I wake up the next day feeling like I was in a car wreck the day before. I have tried to lose weight for 5 years and was never successful until I got on the Body by Vi Challenge. It is high in easily absorbed protein and helps build lean muscle even with just ordinary daily activity. With the Transformation Kit you get an all natural metabolism booster called Vi-Trim and a natural appetite suppressant called Vi-Trim. It is a meal replacement program so you end up saving money on food every month, even after the cost of the product. Breast feeding uses up calories so that should help. The first thing you need to do is get mad and make up your mind to take your life back! I got mad at myself for letting food control me and that was my biggest motivator. I HATE being controlled by anything which is why I finally quit smoking. My biggest problem was getting away from the emotional attachment of putting something in my mouth. I used to smoke & replaced cigarettes with food so it was tough. You can buy peach tea individual packets from Walmart....these help with tamping down cravings. You can also add a small amount of lemon juice to your water. Stop letting your mind make you miss snacking. Get involved with a hobby or project. Even if it means reorganizing your whole house. Turn music on and turn the tv off and dance around some as you move around the house. It's ok to start slow. Work on taking in as much low fat and low sugar protein as you can. You do need some healthy fats and some carbs. I use light soy milk for my shakes to add protein. There are good Greek yogurts that are low in sugar, contain no fat and are high in protein too. I add buffalo sauce, a little bit of ranch dressing mix, or other things to spice up plain Fage 0% Greek yogurt to use in place of mayonnaise. Kraft also has the mayo made with Olive Oil. Get a big bag of almonds and some snack bags. Parcel the almonds a handful at a time to the snack bags and put out 2 every day (keep the rest put away in a sealed container) and make it a rule to only have one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Use whole grain bread, limit your cheese and try to get 2% cheese. I try to keep a bag of individual frozen boneless chicken breast in the freezer. You can thaw them pretty quick in the microwave and pan cook them with olive oil or a little smart balance margerine. I also buy Chunky sirloin burger soup and add a can or two of drained mixed veggies. Simmer it together for about 30 minutes. You can split it up into 3 or 4 servings. And remember, your kids can eat what you eat. I stopped buying cookies and such and guess what, my teenagers suddenly decided they love my Fiber one Chocolate and Oat bars. LOL. Don't buy a lot of fresh fruit and veggies that will ruin. Buy what you think you will eat in 3 days. Most people have to run back for bread or milk or something and you can always pick up more. Roccoco DiSpirito has a good site for how to make healthy comfort foods. The bottom line is you have to make up your mind, you have to eat lots of healthy protein and veggies, and you have to get your mind on something else. As for exercise, just be creative. While you are fixing for the kids, stand and lift your thighs like you are marching, go outside and walk around your yard, do baby curls and baby lifts :), do stretches, straighten one leg at a time while you are breast feeding. God bless you and I wish you the best of health.

natbaj
by on May. 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Honesty?

Almonds, fresh fruit and my shakes....they fill me for 3- 5 hours, no cravings what so ever and I'm putting the best stuff inside me :)

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I'm home all day too, and I was eating CONSTANTLY. You wanna know why? I was depressed. Not severely, but being inside all the time with the kids was doing a lot of damage to my mental health. I got up to...242 lbs that way. Fucking nightmare. So I decided that I had enough and I just stopped eating so much and I started drinking more tea and eating more foods with protein (having a protein bar as a snack rather than a piece of fruit once a day helps a LOT). I started to pay attention to my cravings and if they were serious cravings (like wouldn't go away after eating something else), I'd give in. But not a lot. If I wanted chocolate, I'd have a small piece rather than an entire king size bar. 

Then I got sick with the flu and could barely eat for almost a week. I lost 10 lbs, and my cravings haven't returned. Most people don't recommend a fast (and I honestly don't either), but it kind of reset my brain. It's been about 4 weeks since I was sick, and after I was all better I was able to get back to my gym schedule (which I seriously recommend when you have the funds) and eat healthy food. Like now, I'm baking cupcakes for my sons class. I had a single lick of the batter, one spoonful of the frosting to make sure it tasted good, and that's it. I don't want more than that. 

As for the rest of it, that's why I joined a gym. I couldn't workout at home and get the workout I wanted/needed. I was constantly interrupted because my kids are all still so young. But when I go to the gym, I can drop them off in the daycare and go for an hour and a half and not have to worry about them. It makes me and them happy. If I were you, I'd check around to all the gyms in your area to see if any of them have any memorial day deals going on right now and see if it will fit into your budget.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)