Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Overweight Child and Parents

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was always a little heavy growing up, and currently DH and I are about 20-30 pounds overweight. Fortunately, we're trying to take control of our health - just joined a gym, and have been cooking healthier meals! However, I am a little oversensitive to what my 16 month old DD eats. I try to have her eat as healthily as possible, and to keep trying new foods. I want being healthy to just be a natural part of our lives - eating well, and exercising as a family. I don't want DD to ever have to struggle with being an overweight child like I was.

Does anyone have any suggestions for maintaining a healthy lifestyle as a family? I also don't want to go overboard on being a health nut, because I know that kids should be allowed to have treats and sweets sometimes. Although right now while DD doesn't have access to any foods that we don't provide for her, I really try to limit her sweets. She's always been in the 80th and 90th percentiles for height and weight.

I really don't want to pass along any eating/food issues to my DD!! Has anyone else struggled with this before?

by on May. 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My best advice would be to make sure you're all active.... have a day or two every week where you do something extra active (longer family walk, going skating, swimming, bowling, etc) without going crazy overboard with counting calories and such.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM
I agree. I think my biggest problem growing up was that my mom and I were always on a diet. My brothers ate whatever they wanted, but they were also big athletes. I think if we had an option for a gym membership where I could have gone with my mom things would have been different. Even with my bros at 6'3" and me at 5'2" we weighed the same amount for a brief period of time last year! I'm so ashamed of that.

I also felt like working out was something you had to do in secret. Something you had to be embarrassed to do

My mom was not fat! But growing up I thought she was. (She was 5'2" and weighed 120-130). Now I'm the same height and battling to get down to even that point!

How you talk about yourself is key too. I never want my daughter to think any less of herself because of her size. That's something I've struggled with for as long as I can remember! Focus on being healthy, eating clean and having fun as a family!
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Your kids will do as you do:) before, I used to hit the drive through several times a week :( I ate poorly, but what's worse, so did my kids.
Now that I have totally revamped my cooking & food choices, guess what my kids like to eat? Hummus, veggies (it's still a push, but much better than before!), fruit, edamame, sushi...etc.

You're her biggest role model. When you do it, so will she. This is my mantra....the choices I make, I am also choosing for my kids. It has helped me on more than one occasion:)
pattya925
by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Primarily keep your focus on health... My son has always been off the charts on weight and a few years ago his height slowed down but his weight didn't.  He eats very healthily - lean proteins, tons of produce - and is active... He actually does HIIT several times a week on top of his normal activity, runs bleachers, etc.  He has a stocky build like his father but is healthy.  Now that he is almost 11, he is starting to be a little more self-concious about his weight and I am really trying to keep his focus on healthy behaviors and not the scale.  We work out a lot together, cook together.  He sees a health coach monthly.

It is so easy to get wrapped up in that number on the scale, but that's just one indicator of health and not the end all be all.  I know it's tough, mama, I struggle too.  I also try to be involved as much as possible - exercise with him, cook with him, etc.  

I'm happy you have made the decision to pay attention to the health of you and your family. :) 

My "obese" son:

MarylandMom123
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! Sounds like you have a very active family as well. Guess I'm worried that DD will have our "fat gene" and just have to work that much harder to be healthy.

Quoting pattya925:

Primarily keep your focus on health... My son has always been off the charts on weight and a few years ago his height slowed down but his weight didn't.  He eats very healthily - lean proteins, tons of produce - and is active... He actually does HIIT several times a week on top of his normal activity, runs bleachers, etc.  He has a stocky build like his father but is healthy.  Now that he is almost 11, he is starting to be a little more self-concious about his weight and I am really trying to keep his focus on healthy behaviors and not the scale.  We work out a lot together, cook together.  He sees a health coach monthly.

It is so easy to get wrapped up in that number on the scale, but that's just one indicator of health and not the end all be all.  I know it's tough, mama, I struggle too.  I also try to be involved as much as possible - exercise with him, cook with him, etc.  

I'm happy you have made the decision to pay attention to the health of you and your family. :) 

My "obese" son:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, and DH struggles with his.  I've always worried that my kids would, too.  Now that I'm on my journey, I've been teaching DS all about food groups, "big and strong" foods versus "sometimes" foods, foods that make our tummies upset, importance of drinking water, how food is fuel, etc.  We also exercise a lot together.  From the time I started (he was 18 months old), we've done DVDs together, we run together, we play tag, play with his kite, ride his bike, etc.  He's been BEGGING to race his bike and to run in races like Mommy (he's 4 1/2).  I take him to races, and he LOVES them!  I'm signing up up for his first 5K in July!  This is his normal.  Of course, DH is NOT athletic, and eats horribly, so I am constantly battling that.  We do talk about how Daddy eats, and while I HATE to say anything bad about his dad's choices to him, we do talk about healthy and unhealthy choices.  My FIL also smokes cigars, so we talk about that, and how sometimes grown ups make unhealthy choices.

Like you, I don't want him to have any hang ups about his body, and if we ever have a daughter, I plan to do the same with her that I've done with my son.  I never say anything negative about any of our bodies, but we do flex our muscles together and talk about how strong our muscles are, how they help us run, etc.  We talk about human physiology, how the heart works, how oxygen gets around the body, etc.  DS has a strong interest in the human body, and since I'm a nursing student, he gets the whole lowdown!

He's not a tall kid, but his weight is generally in the 75-90th percentile.  His doctor isn't worried, because the kid is built like me- solid.  He's ALL muscle.  He is really lean, and has a TON of energy, so we go and run around together a lot.  He LOVES to be active, and he eats a really wide variety of foods (how many kids like salmon roe and beg for blanched green beans??).

With foods, he's required to take what we call a "No Thank You" bite.  He must try one bite of everything, and if he doesn't like it, he can just say, "No Thank You."  We praise him for trying it, and move on.  His tastes are always changing, and that's normal, so we always offer everything, even if historically he hasn't liked it.  I don't make him any separate meals, either- whatever I've made is what there is.

He does get occasional treats, and he knows he doesn't get more than one in a day.  He rarely wants more than one or two, anyway.  We're consistent with the rules, so if he has something early, he doesn't even ask later anymore (or if he does, if reminded, he accepts that he can't have another).

Here's a pic of my son while we were doing pull ups together at the park last week:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

newlife2013
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I was thin growing up and the kids are thin now but when my middle guy was younger he was heavier and he guzzled gatorade juices etc empty calories that added weight so I stopped buying it and gradually reintroduced it and he slowed down, which helped, now their great and I'm now struggling.
itsm3
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM

we are a clean-eating family 99% of the time (i am 100% of the time but 99% for dh and dd).  dd eats what we eat; each meal contains a lean protein, fresh veggies, whole grain and healthy fat.  then it's followed by fruit.  water or milk with meals.  she also has 2 snacks so she eats 5x/day.

she doesn't really get much tv time; she prefers to play outside or do arts/crafts instead. 

dd also knows what it means to be healthy and WHY we eat what we eat.  she sometimes asks why some of the kids get chocolate for snack at school and why she doesn't so i simply tell her that chocolate isn't a snack but it's a treat and treats do not make you grow up big and strong.  then we talk about what foods are good for you and make you big and strong etc. 

Dreamly
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I have totally changed our diets around here and it's a struggle as my dd is almost 10 years old and would eat all day if I let her, and junk or big meals at that. It's good that you want to start her out young because she won't know any difference for a while.

MarylandMom123
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Great advice, thank you!!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, and DH struggles with his.  I've always worried that my kids would, too.  Now that I'm on my journey, I've been teaching DS all about food groups, "big and strong" foods versus "sometimes" foods, foods that make our tummies upset, importance of drinking water, how food is fuel, etc.  We also exercise a lot together.  From the time I started (he was 18 months old), we've done DVDs together, we run together, we play tag, play with his kite, ride his bike, etc.  He's been BEGGING to race his bike and to run in races like Mommy (he's 4 1/2).  I take him to races, and he LOVES them!  I'm signing up up for his first 5K in July!  This is his normal.  Of course, DH is NOT athletic, and eats horribly, so I am constantly battling that.  We do talk about how Daddy eats, and while I HATE to say anything bad about his dad's choices to him, we do talk about healthy and unhealthy choices.  My FIL also smokes cigars, so we talk about that, and how sometimes grown ups make unhealthy choices.

Like you, I don't want him to have any hang ups about his body, and if we ever have a daughter, I plan to do the same with her that I've done with my son.  I never say anything negative about any of our bodies, but we do flex our muscles together and talk about how strong our muscles are, how they help us run, etc.  We talk about human physiology, how the heart works, how oxygen gets around the body, etc.  DS has a strong interest in the human body, and since I'm a nursing student, he gets the whole lowdown!

He's not a tall kid, but his weight is generally in the 75-90th percentile.  His doctor isn't worried, because the kid is built like me- solid.  He's ALL muscle.  He is really lean, and has a TON of energy, so we go and run around together a lot.  He LOVES to be active, and he eats a really wide variety of foods (how many kids like salmon roe and beg for blanched green beans??).

With foods, he's required to take what we call a "No Thank You" bite.  He must try one bite of everything, and if he doesn't like it, he can just say, "No Thank You."  We praise him for trying it, and move on.  His tastes are always changing, and that's normal, so we always offer everything, even if historically he hasn't liked it.  I don't make him any separate meals, either- whatever I've made is what there is.

He does get occasional treats, and he knows he doesn't get more than one in a day.  He rarely wants more than one or two, anyway.  We're consistent with the rules, so if he has something early, he doesn't even ask later anymore (or if he does, if reminded, he accepts that he can't have another).

Here's a pic of my son while we were doing pull ups together at the park last week:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN