Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

My family tells me to loose weight but makes fun of me when i try! -EDIT- -Edit 2- -Edit 3-

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 36 Replies

So basically I'm 20, 5'5" and 255 pounds, I have tried time and time again to loose weight and my family makes fun of me! When I don't do anything they tell me i'm fat and lazy and that I need to get out and walk and not eat so much. When I actually log my food and work out on my tredmil they tell me I'm secretly eating when they go to bed and that theres no point in logging. When I work out on the tredmil it makes noises because obviously I'm heavy and running on it, they laugh and say i sound like a fat cow .They'll come up to my room and try to push me off it! I'm so sick of it! I have brought it up soo many times and they say they are just joking but seriously? Once or twice okay haha funny but this is an every day thing. I got myself a personal trainer so at least I can work out away from them but like today I came home from seeing him today, today was my first offical day all we did was take my measurements and set up a calorie plan and what not. I went to grab something to eat because  and my trainer told me to eat regularly until our next session so he can see what i'm eating and try to give me healthier options. They told me I was wasteing my money on him because I'll always be a fat cow. It just stresses me the hell out! I mean I was 160lbs when I was 16 which is over weight for my height but at least i was happy and they left me alone. I am at my wits end I really just don't know what to do anymore. I pretty much sit in my car and cry or stand in the shower and cry because its the only thing that seems to help at the time. 

ADVICE please?

EDIT:

I just wanted to say thank you guys for all of your support! It's so nice I know I can vent on here and have the support. I actually had my first workout today with my trainer, and my mom was actually interested in what my trainer was having me do (which is a big first!). My one brother was even impressed that I could do a plank for 40 seconds for the first time being as heavy as I am. I'm sure I'll still get from them untill i'm smaller or maybe they will just keep doing it for the rest of my life. WHO KNOWS? I am trying to move out, I had been staying with my mom because she had her knee replaced (she's 38) and we lost my step dad almost 2 months ago so I had been there for support and to take care of the house hold. I am saving up for a deposit then moving out as soon as i can. I really don't want my son around that stuff, (he has autism) the last thing he needs is for them to start making fun of him when he's older just because he likes to flap at things. I hope things get easier once I do. I really hope so. Thanks again for the support guys!

EDIT 2:

Just wanted to let you all know that I have finished my first week of training, I went in to start my second. We did a weigh in and I lost 2 pounds! :D

Edit 3:

I made this post a few months ago and it has resurfaced.. I just wanted to give you all an update. Its been about what.. 3 months since this post. The weightloss journey was a little rocky at first, my parents would come up with any excuse in the book to keep me from going but in the end I've gone almost every time. (Missed once because an appointment and twice because my trainer was out sick). I have lost a total of 18 pounds as of 8/19 I weigh in again tomorrow and I'm hoping 2 pounds down so I can be at 20 pounds in 3 months :D. I have gone from working out twice a week, to working out the twice a week then running a mile every sunday with my trainer. I've also started setting up a mini gym in my bedroom so that I can work out at home. I still have a long way to go but Its going really good. I have lost every week since I started and I have lost 19 inches off my total body. 

Thanks for the support!!!

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annelauer
by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
4 moms liked this
Can you move out? It doesn't seem like a healthy environment. I'm sorry.
rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Fuck them.

That's my advice. Tell them to go suck a dick and leave you alone. 

I can't stand people like that. I don't care if they're your family, they're assholes and they fucking suck. People in your family should love you the most and encourage you the most and make you feel good about yourself, not make you feel like shit. 

The more I do health and fitness wise, the more my family tells me how proud they are of me and of the things I do and it makes me want to do more and do even better. If you want, I'd love to be your friend and encourage you and help you achieve whatever it is you want to achieve. 

zombieskayer
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm in the process of looking for a place. Trying to get out of there!

momto3B
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM
4 moms liked this

good for you!!  stay off the treadmill and walk around the closest track or your block. Keep all aspectsof your diet and exercise routine to yourself until you can move out. 

Never let them see you sweat!!

Quoting zombieskayer:

I'm in the process of looking for a place. Trying to get out of there!

punchnpie
by on May. 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh.. They are so mean family . In times like this you need support. I'm sorry. =(

Can you lock the door when your on the tm and out on ear phones or turn the radio up to drown them out.

I was near you , you would so be my walking buddy.

Forget them atleast your trying.

You can so do it. =)

I would love to be your e-workout buddy.
mandaboo99
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Take the negative energy and throw it all into your workout!! no one has a right to treat you that way. You can do this no matter what anyone says. And I wish you the best of luck with your Journey!!!! Contact me anytime you need to chat!!

armyvet06
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Tell them to go to hell. At least your trying and that is what counts. I myself am currently trying to loose weight. I was almost 250 last July and now I'm down to 229. If you want to, you can friend me and we can each other support.
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

They're assholes.... and that sucks. What can you do? Keep on going, don't give up. Are your family members overweight? They could be jealous because you are doing something to change it

pattya925
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

They sound like toxic people.  I'm sorry you have to deal w. that.  I hope you can escape that environment soon! *hugs*

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh honey... 

I can hear the anguish coming across the screen. You need support, not toxicity. 

Next, I will do your BMR for you and that will give you an idea of how many calories your body needs to function and be inactive-think digestion, blood flow and organ functions. 

BMR: 1975 ( this is what your body would burn if you laid in bed all day and did nothing but breathe)

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1975*1.55=3061 ( this is what you would need to maintain while working out 3-5 days per week)

To lose 1 lb per week: 3061-500=2561 ( this is what you need to lose 1 lb per week while working out 3-5 days per week. 

Your ideal calorie range is 1975-2561 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

My calculations should line up pretty well with the calculations your PT will come up with. I used the 3-5 day moderate activity level formula as your PT is most likely going to see you 3x per week and expect you to do it 2x per week on your own.

As far as diet goes- ditch all proessed foods and eat as cleanly as possible. Drink only water. This will help you immensely. Concentrate on eating lean proteins, fruits and veggies, healthy fats and if you eat carbs go for whole grains and either full fat or low fat dairy if you choose to eat it. 

I'm not sure who in your family is doing this to you, but you need someone on your side. You have got to sit down with them and have a heart and heart and tell them how damaging this is to you. They need to understand...if your PT could speak with them, it might help as well. 

Lastly, sweetheart, believe in yourself. You are worth being happy and healthy. You need to love yourself and standing up for yourself is part of that equation. You will not be successful if you don't love yourself and have some form of support. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)