Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so tired!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hi my name is Christie and I am 28 years old and a mother to a 5 month old. I had a difficult pregnancy with bedrest and complications the entire time. I was tired during my pregnancy but am extremely tired now more than ever. I am overweight and I know it. I have struggled with being overweight for a very long time. I lost 80 pounds about 5 years ago and have slowly started gaining it back. I am breastfeeding and so of course I am starving all the time and crave carbs and sweets. I don't know what to do because I want to lose weight so bad and actually feel good about myself and not worry about not being able to do things with my child without getting tired. I just need advice on how to lose weight while breastfeeding.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, Christie!  Great choice with breastfeeding!

I'm a big fan of eating clean, which is 100% safe while breastfeeding- probably the ideal way to eat while breastfeeding!  I have a journal with the basics here

Have you ever tried tracking your food?  It can be a great way to spot things you're doing right and things you can work on.  If you'd like we can help you calculate how many calories you need right now.  We just need your height, weight, age, how often you work out (and a reminder that you're breastfeeding!).  You can PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it here.

Like you, I was STARVING the whole time I was breastfeeding, no matter how much I ate.  I ended up gaining 40 lbs in the 18 months my son nursed.  It was so frustrating!  Luckily I have since lost it (and more). 

Working out is totally safe while breastfeeding as well!  I know you're tired now, but as you improve your food choices, you'll have more energy.  Once you get a routine with the exercise, that will help, too.  You may just have to force yourself to work out in the beginning (this is common). 

You can do it, mama!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

levismom2013
by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Thank you for your response. I haven't been tracking what I eat I just grab whatever is the quickest and easiest. I was exercising but hurt my knee so that was a set back. I will try what you have suggested and hopefully it will help me.
ame85
by Amber on May. 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Are you still taking vitamins?  I find if I skip mine I get tired and grumpy.  

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Pregnancy and having a newborn can really screw with your hormone levels. The first thing I'd do is come up with a schedule that you and your baby can keep (ie bed at a certain time for everyone, bath time, meal time...get everything on a schedule), and make sure to get outside every day that you can. The sun will help you tremendously. Maybe take the baby for a walk that way you get moving and sun at the same time! Then start paying attention to what you eat. I'm not *personally* a fan of clean eating 100% because it's just hard. Start to add more fruits and especially veggies to every meal, and find healthier snack alternatives. I've discovered that I really love hummus and carrots, so I always keep those in the house. If I'm craving chips, I buy the black bean chips that don't have any wheat flour or corn in them (and they're delicious!). You just have to make small changes, but with those small changes you'll start to lose weight. And don't put pressure on yourself to be perfect in your diet and exercise because you can't be perfect. If you want a piece of cake, have it! and don't feel guilty for it. But don't have 2 or 3 pieces of cake in a single sitting, you know? Portion control and listen to what your body tells you.

If, after all of that, you're still exhausted, start taking vitamins D3 and B12. They will help immensely!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

If you tend to go for what's quick and easy, you might consider planning out your meals.  That can make a HUGE difference!  it takes out a lot of the guesswork, and you can start prepping foods before you're starving and just going for whatever's easiest.

Quoting levismom2013:

Thank you for your response. I haven't been tracking what I eat I just grab whatever is the quickest and easiest. I was exercising but hurt my knee so that was a set back. I will try what you have suggested and hopefully it will help me.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Try and switch out some of our sweets with fruit and veggies with dip, it will help with your energy  and far fewer calories. Be sure to drink enough water, half your weight in ounces is recommended. Get out and walk when you can, put the baby in a stroller and enjoy the sunshine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)