Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beginner running plan and clean eating journey tips

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi ladies, 

I'm loving this group so far, and really appreciate all the great advice!! 

So here are my questions today... (and yes I know there will be more.)

1.) I signed up for my hometown's 4 mile fun run over 4th of July weekend.  I am just starting out running (the couch to 5k program). Tomorrow is week 1 day 2.  Is this a little over-ambitious of me?  Will I be pushing myself too hard?  Is there a way I can tweak the program to get to 4 miles instead of 3?  

2.)  For my eating goals, this is where we are now: I'm extremely consistent at staying at my calorie goal (1800).  I drink TONS of water every day. (I have a 32 oz mug that I fill 4+times at work).  I avoid all artificial sugar, and I'm getting a lot better at avoiding processed foods. (I will occasionally have some tortilla chips with guac, pita chips with hummus, or pretzel chips).  I try to chose veggies instead, but sometimes I give in.

My ultimate goals are to have an 80% clean diet (with the occasional splurges and treats).  I would like to set a goal for myself for the month of June to elimiate one unhealthy component from my diet.  I'm just trying to decide if htat component should be added sugar or wheat.  Does this sound like a reasonable first step?  Any better goals you can suggest for the month of June?  (My hope is that these gradual changes will all add up into permanent lifestyle change.

Thanks again for your insight!

NK 

by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Your diet goals are fine. 

In regards to running 4 miles in 6 weeks? You never want to increase your mileage more than 10% per week. It is just not very safe to do so as it will cause injury. If you are in week 1, the race is in 6 weeks. This will only put you at 2.25 miles...you would have to add another 1.75 miles to hit 4 miles....It is pretty ambitious, and since you are new to running, I would honestly not recommend it. I'm a seasoned runner and I still don't increase mileage more than 10% per week when training. The only time I did add more was training for a half marathon and I paid the price. The last training week of the plan is 10 miles and then the race a week later which is 13.1 miles... That is a huge jump in mileage, so I increased and ran 9 miles one week and then ran 11.5 miles the following week... when the half came around the following weekend, I was running it injured and ended up on crutches for 2 months. I have learned from my mistakes over the past several years as a runner. 

That is the best advice I can give you...if you are determined to do the 4 miler, do a run/walk so that you don't end up suffering injury. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Oh I definitely will be doing a run/walk! It's a fundraiser for our local high school, and my 10 year class reunion weekend so ill be doing it with old friends. I did it last year and ran about 2 miles of it and walked the rest but that was 2 months after gallbladder surgery and 6 months after dd was born!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't agree more with Claire.  I'm glad you're already planning on a walk/run!  Even after 5 months, I was still walk/running my first 5K.  Plan ahead on those walk breaks, so that you're taking them before you need them (it'll help you save energy for later in the event).

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)