Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What do you do for strength workouts?

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 24 Replies
I am on day 4 of Insanity. I love the cardio, but I think I need more strength training. Right now I do a few minutes of weights with squats to work my arms and lower body, but I don't know if it's adequate. What do you all do? I have a gym membership but I usually just go to use the elliptical or treadmill. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

do his upper body interval weight training.  it's a good workout!

i work all of my body; i focus on a group of muslces per day (ie. one day is arms, next day is legs, next day is chest etc).  then i inject cardio later that day and core every other day so there are days i workout 3 times.

ame85
by Amber on May. 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Thanks for the great ideas!

Quoting itsm3:

do his upper body interval weight training.  it's a good workout!

i work all of my body; i focus on a group of muslces per day (ie. one day is arms, next day is legs, next day is chest etc).  then i inject cardio later that day and core every other day so there are days i workout 3 times.

3mom627
by on May. 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I am in the same boat as you. I don't really know too much about strength training. I do zumba and have done walking dvd's, but strength training is something I seriously need to figure out how to do.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I want to do more strength training as well, I want to be strong

Lesgerm
by Leslie on May. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Tuesday and Thursday I do the weight machines at the gym. Saturday I take a pump it class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I do one piyo class and one pilates class each week (followed by zumba) and usually one day of strength stuff at home too (we have a small weight machine, small weights, bands)

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I'm currently doing a modified stronglifts routine which includes barbell deadlifts, squats, shoulder presses, and chest presses
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Anything and everything. I get all my strength in at Crossfit. Anything from push ups, to pull ups, to kettle bells, to lifting with the bars. You name it. I love strength training!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM

If you need ideas, sparkpeople.com has some great demos!

I love push ups, planks, walking lunges, kettlebell stuff, dead lifts, assisted pull ups, reverse crunches on a bench, bench presses, concentration curls, skull crushers, etc.  When I do stuff in the gym, I'll generally choose a couple of muscle groups to do.

Free weights work you more than machines do, because you need to use more supporting muscles, your core, etc.  Just make sure your form is right, so you don't injure yourself.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Now that I've used free weights I would never go back to machines. I fell in love! Plus they're so much more fun!

Quoting musicpisces:

If you need ideas, sparkpeople.com has some great demos!

I love push ups, planks, walking lunges, kettlebell stuff, dead lifts, assisted pull ups, reverse crunches on a bench, bench presses, concentration curls, skull crushers, etc.  When I do stuff in the gym, I'll generally choose a couple of muscle groups to do.

Free weights work you more than machines do, because you need to use more supporting muscles, your core, etc.  Just make sure your form is right, so you don't injure yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN