Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Bikini Bootcamp Challenge Day 27: Weight Lifting for Women

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 58 Replies

Welcome to day 27 of the Bikini Bootcamp Challenge!

Want to reduce body fat, increase lean muscle and burn calories more efficiently?
Then strength training (weight lifting) is your answer! I know, I know. You don't want to bulk up or be man-like in your appearance. Well no worries ladies, you won't and here is why:

• The first reason weight lifting won't make you bulky is because you don't have the testosterone levels to pack on a lot of mass. Men have higher levels of testosterone than women. If you compare the levels of testosterone between a man and a woman, you will have a huge gap. 
  • The second reason you won't get bulky is because most women don't consume enough calories to create mass.
  • The third reason is that building significant amount of muscle mass requires generating a higher degree of force that most women typically will not do. For example: men will often continue to press harder even when they are at their max often to the point of injury. Women typically will 'listen' to their bodies and stop when they have reached their max.

Now that you know you won't get bulky by strength training, here is why you SHOULD strength train:

• Higher Metabolic Rate: Working against a high degree of resistance, you create tiny muscular tears in your body. You will expend a larger number of calories after your workout to repair those tiny tears.  If you want to get a lean body and shed fat, a high metabolism will help you achieve that.
  • Controls Weight: As you gain muscle, your body begins to burn calories more efficiently.
  • Develops Strong Bones: By stressing your bones, strength training increases your bone density.
  • Boost Stamina: As you get stronger, you will not fatigue as easily.

You have 4 options with strength training that can be done at home or at the gym.

• Weight Machines: Most gyms or fitness centers have these.
  • Free Weights: Barbells and dumbbells are the most common weight lifting tools
  • Resistance Tubing: Is lightweight tubing that provides resistance when stretched.
  • Body Weight: Exercises done with no equipment using only your own body weight as resistance as talked about in day 13.

You don't need to spend hours a day lifting weights to benefit from it. Strength training 3 times a week for 30 to 40 minutes is all that is needed for most women. Plus, results are quick! You will begin to notice improvements in your strength and stamina within a few weeks!

How often do you strength train?

Do you use resistance tubing, free weights, machines or your own body weight?

Have you found strength training to be effective for you?

As we are getting ready to close out our bootcamp, I want you to spend one workout strength training. IF you already do so, great, BUT the challenge is to try a NEW form of strength training. Mix up your routine!

**Once you have completed your cardio for the day, click here for the Day 27 Cardio Log, Reminders & Motivation

** Don't forget to update your food journal.

** Remember to fit in an extra 10 - 30 minutes of walking in addition to your daily cardio/workout.

** Drink at least 64 oz of water today!

at the beach One member who signs up for our Bikini Bootcamp Challenge and replies to 25 of the 30  daily activities will be chosen at random to WIN a $50 gift card!

Click here to sign up:

Join Me for the Bikini Bootcamp Challenge!! Win a $50 gift card and bonus prizes, too!

Join us in the  Healthy Weight Loss group

by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I dont usually strength train, i should get some weights so i can. I sometimes do some exercises w a can of tomatoes in my hand but thats about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisAngel91
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont lift weights. My son is 25 pounds at 1 i just use him.
Beauty91805
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I don't strength train, but I was going ro start. I have to ho and buy some weights.
Nicki1995
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Every other day. Using my own body weight
liquidvelvet
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I strength train 3 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half. I use free weights, machines, and my own body weight (push ups/pull ups).

Babybear89
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I do body weight training
steph21078
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I only use weights on my ankles for leg lifts.

childofgod04
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I strength train a couple days a week with dumbells. But my son is a perfect weight at about 24lbs at 11 months :)
eirejade
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
How often do you strength train? If lifting and playing with kids count...every day lol
Do you use resistance tubing, free weights, machines or your own body weight?kids and my own weight

Have you found strength training to be effective for you? I get used to it fairly quickly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Damienswife
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I use free weights during my cardio workouts
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)