Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

diet advice...is this diet healthy?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 12 Replies
I had an online friend send me a diet that she's on. She says her and a few women she works with are on it. On average, they are loosing 10 pounds a week. To me, that sounds like a lot. Yes, I'd love to loose that much a week, but it sounds dangerous. I'm also not so sure the diet is very healthy. It's supposed to be like a detox thing, but I'm afraid of gaining weight back quickly when it's over and add the 'dont' foods back in. Here is a list of the do's and don'ts. Let me know what you all think please. Do: Liquids include-Lemonade, Jamaica Juice, Iced Tea, Herbal Tea, Water, coffee, Soups (chicken, fish, menudo, and pozole without grain) Eggs-any style with ham, tomato, chile, onion, etc, Mondays and Friday or egg whites every day Cheese-Only aged, max 1/2 pound a week Fruits-Only cucumber, one a day Dressing-mayonnaise, sour cream, butter, vinegar, margarine, mustard, French, Italian, thousand island (one teaspoon) Gum-Only Trident Sugar Free, 3 pieces a day Meat-steak, chicken, turkey, meatballs (unbreaded), pork chops, ribs, liver, ham, tongue, beef salami, bacon...all cooked any way you want (no wieners, no bologna, no sausage, no Chinese food) Veggies-olives, garlic, celery, broccoli, zucchini (small amounts), onions, cilantro, all kinds of chiles, califlowers, spices, green beans (small amounts), asparagus, spinach, mushrooms, tomato (only cooked or fried), lettuce, lemon, cactus, brussel sprouts, parsley, radish, and cabbage Snacks-pork rinds or any permitted foods on the list Seafood and Fish-all kind of seafood (unbreaded), tuna, sardines, fish, shrimp, etc. No imitation crab Don'ts: Almonds, avocado, bbq sauce, beans, beer, beets, biscuits, blue cheese, bologna, bran, breads, cakes, carrots, cereals, chicken pie, chocolate, cookies, corn, custard, drinks, figs, flour, fruits, garbanza, gum, honey, hot dogs, ice cream, jello, jicama, juices, kidney, lentils, maleness, milk, male, nuts, oatmeal, pate, peanuts, pies, pistachios, plums, popcorn, potato chips, potatoes, rice, saccharin, soda, woups of beans, soy, sugar, sunflowers, sweet peas, sweet potato, sweet wine syrup, tostadas, tortillas, yogurt. It has a clause listed at the bottom....If you have any of these symtoms: headache, nervousness, tiredness, craps, weakness, or dizziness, you need sugar! You can eat 1/2 of an orange or a piece of candy.
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I'm with you- that sounds dangerous.  How many calories each day is it?  It seems really limiting.  Some of the foods to avoid make sense, of course- ice cream, potato chips, etc, but lentils? Plums?  But lemonade is okay??  And concerns that your blood sugar will drop that low during the diet is cause for concern.  I would definitely stay away.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mystictigeress
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Yeah, thats kind of what I was thinking. I also don't like it limiting my fruits. I mean, fruits are supposed to be healthy, right? I like an apple with a lil peanut butter from time to time. Sometimes I'll eat watermelon for a snack. And yeah, some of the stuff is common sense to stay away from. I was thinking stick to healthier eating and exersice and loose it slowly makes more sense. Afterall, you don't gain it that quickly (tho sometimes it seems like it ll), it's not smart to loose it that fast. And, it doesn't say how many calories a day?!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Exactly.  It's REALLY hard on your body to lose weight that fast, unless you have hundreds of pounds to lose.  Also, much of what you lose under those conditions is muscle (and organ tissue- yikes!), which actually slows your metabolism.  You also mess with normal metabolic processes, so your body holds onto fat.  Not exactly ideal!  Not to mention the total lack of sustainability of such an extreme diet- what is their big plan once they DO reach their goals?  Ya know?  So many people don't think that far forward.  They don't think about how they'll KEEP it off, just how they'll lose it.  And they ignore whether or not it's healthy, because skinny is more valuable than healthy in this country.  I just want to shake people sometimes!  This is one of my soapbox topics, and it's always hard when I work with people who do this stuff (I'm a nursing student, and nutrition is a big thing for me).  Luckily, I have my own story to share, so patients don't get the luxury of assuming I have no idea what it's like to have to lose weight.  =)  No excuses!  LOL

Quoting mystictigeress:

Yeah, thats kind of what I was thinking. I also don't like it limiting my fruits. I mean, fruits are supposed to be healthy, right? I like an apple with a lil peanut butter from time to time. Sometimes I'll eat watermelon for a snack. And yeah, some of the stuff is common sense to stay away from. I was thinking stick to healthier eating and exersice and loose it slowly makes more sense. Afterall, you don't gain it that quickly (tho sometimes it seems like it ll), it's not smart to loose it that fast. And, it doesn't say how many calories a day?!

Suzanne

muzzyh
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I stopped reading after 10 lbs per week. I'd steer clear of that.
itsm3
by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

THIS!

man, i can't believe the crazy things women will do to lose weight.  why not just the ol' fashioned HEALTHY way?!

Quoting muzzyh:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Instant gratification, impatience, not seeing results right away, quick fix mentality...  Gotta love 'em!  Sadly this is all too common here.

Quoting itsm3:

THIS!

man, i can't believe the crazy things women will do to lose weight.  why not just the ol' fashioned HEALTHY way?!

Quoting muzzyh:

Suzanne

Noni2319
by Chrissy on May. 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM
It doesn't sound good to me.
mystictigeress
by on May. 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I'm steering clear of this diet. I've lost 8 pounds in 2 months so far, and the first month I wasn't trying that hard. Too much running to get done to workout really. I'll stick to eating better and working out. It may take longer to get to my goal, but at least it will be a healthy way, and I'll develop good habits so I don't have to worry about gaining it all back when I do reach my goal.

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

10 pounds a week isn't healthy.  I wouldn't do it

highlandmum
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Does not sound healthy to me.  10 lbs a week is a absurd number to lose in a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)