Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grrrrrrrrrr.....

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm so mad!  I went to use the gym on campus today (I normally don't work out at the gym, but I do like to use the showers after runs and such, and occasionally I do use the actual gym), and they are actually CHARGING to use the gym over the summer, even for students.  I am NOT thrilled.  Money is really tight right now, too.  I'm marathon training, and there is NO way I can do the workouts I need to do before class later in the semester, and right now, the mornings before class (after I get to school, since I take DS to the preschool on-campus) are the only time I can work out.  This is so frustrating!  I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and pay, but there will definitely be a letter to the dean.  For how much they charge for summer classes, you'd think they could throw you a bone on this one.  So no workout this morning.  I cannot run then not shower- I KNOW how I smell after I run!  Plus, I have a presentation in class today, so I need to be presentable.

angry

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsWhite101610
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
That sucks, sorry momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Frogy
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM

That is just wrong.  They will charge you even if you are just using the shower?  isn't the entire campus included in what you pay for the classes you are taking?  Will they charge you to use the track too?  I can understand if te gym is full and your not taking a gym class and trying to get in there, but seriously! that is nuts!! I support you in your decision to write the dean!!  DO IT!!

Stefanie83
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

:(  I'm sorry. That sucks. I know my university I went to was like that too, and the one I work at, they have a big sign for $35 fee for the summer for students ($70 for faculty and staff for the summer). I think it's because student fees charged during fall/spring semesters include the fitness center fee and summer fees don't, but I'm not sure.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I plan to!  But yes, even to just use the shower, there's a fee.  Gym classes are separate from this gym- this is like a regular gym that's part of the rec center.  There's a fee for the pool right now, too.  It sucks, because I wrote out a marathon plan for the summer (since the race is on August 25), and I had everything planned around my classes and such, and now I'm having to totally replan everything or pay this fee.

I HATE track workouts- I don't use the track ever.  There's a bike path that goes through Rohnert Park, where Sonoma State is (the way the city is planned, every neighborhood is connected by multiple bike paths- it's kind of cool how it's set up!), so I usually run there or on side streets when I'm at school.

You would think that they could handle covering gym use for the summer.  I am SO not thrilled.

Quoting Frogy:

That is just wrong.  They will charge you even if you are just using the shower?  isn't the entire campus included in what you pay for the classes you are taking?  Will they charge you to use the track too?  I can understand if te gym is full and your not taking a gym class and trying to get in there, but seriously! that is nuts!! I support you in your decision to write the dean!!  DO IT!!

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I just don't get why they wouldn't include that in all of the fees they charge.  In my case, the VA would cover that if it were just part of the school fees, too.  This way, I have to pay out of pocket.  =(

Quoting Stefanie83:

:(  I'm sorry. That sucks. I know my university I went to was like that too, and the one I work at, they have a big sign for $35 fee for the summer for students. I think it's because student fees charged during fall/spring semesters include the fitness center fee and summer fees don't, but I'm not sure.

Suzanne

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

could you claim it on your taxes later since its a school fee ? 

That really sucks that they are charging during the summer months :( I dont understand really why they would its not like you are not already paying out the ass for books parking and classes already 

Stefanie83
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I don't see why they should do it differently in summer either, especially since here at least there are far fewer students taking summer courses so it's not like the gym would be overcrowded if everyone had a membership

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Eh, I doubt it, because I don't have income right now that's taxable (I'm on vocational rehab through Veteran's Affairs, so I receive a stipend).  Luckily the VA pays for my books, tuition, etc, but they won't pay for this because it's not necessary for school.  =(

Quoting KelliansMom:

That really sucks that they are charging during the summer months :( I dont understand really why they would its not like you are not already paying out the ass for books parking and classes already 

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I know, right?  I was thinking on my way in how sparsely populated it would be.  Probably even more so than I thought!  I guess I'll find out later.

Quoting Stefanie83:

I don't see why they should do it differently in summer either, especially since here at least there are far fewer students taking summer courses so it's not like the gym would be overcrowded if everyone had a membership

Suzanne

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Im sorry they are charging :( that really stinks 

Quoting musicpisces:

Eh, I doubt it, because I don't have income right now that's taxable (I'm on vocational rehab through Veteran's Affairs, so I receive a stipend).  Luckily the VA pays for my books, tuition, etc, but they won't pay for this because it's not necessary for school.  =(

Quoting KelliansMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)