Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

questions about treadmill usage

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 4 Replies

i have been using the treadmill at the gym for 2 months now. my fastest pace has been 3.0. I usually like to keep it at 2.5 so i do not get warn out. when can i start using the different levels and how long do i use each one for as far as days or weeks go. by levels i mean elevation. it would be very helpful if someone who is good at knowing this could give me all the information necessary. keep in mind, i choose to keep my level at 2.5.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
robsgurl_23
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM

you can start when you feel ready. When I use the treadmill I put the speed between 3.0 up to 4.5 and I let the machine change up the incline. I put it on the setting to do that.

Idntreallycare
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I think Pinterest has some good treadmill interval workouts. It will have you going faster than 3.0 though. As for elevation, I say mess around with it, maybe do a minute at one height and then raise/lower it for another minute, stuff like that. I never really had a set plan for intervals.... mine usually was like "start running at 5.0 (speed) and then slow it down to 4.0 when I got tired, keep it there for roughly a minute, and speed back up until I needed a break"

Silvertears1275
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I don't think there's any "right" way to do it.  You could always increase it, then once that feels "easy" to you (in a week or two... however long that is for you, personally), bump it up.  Same with speed. 

Or you could do intervals, where you increase it for say 5 minutes, then go back down to recover for 5 minutes, and go back and forth like that.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I would say to experiment and try intervals.  Keep an eye on your heart rate, to make sure it gets high enough.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)