Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brand new!

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi ladies! I'm 29 years old and started my weight loss journey two and a half weeks ago. My goal is to at least lose 50lbs- if not more. I'm 5'0 and weight 180lbs to start out. I'm down 2lbs in these 2 1/2 weeks and was hoping to see more.

I joined the gym and have been working my butt off 4-6x a week. I usually run, lift weights, and elliptical in my 45min-1hr workout. I also did a body combat class last night after meeting with a trainer for an hour in the morning (so 2hrs total yesterday).

I'm using my fitness pal and logging every day. My calorie goal per day is 1200 and I've always stayed around or under that (net).

Do you ladies have any suggestions? I am ready and committed to be healthy and happy.

I know that it took awhile to put this weight on and it will take time to take it off. I just need encouragement.

Thanks!
by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Welcome to the group!

1200 calories is too few calories.  MFP tells EVERYONE that 1200 calories is the goal.

Based on the info in your post, you should be eating 1584-1955 calories per day.  Your BMR is 1584, and that's the minimum number of calories your body requires for normal function.  You might have better results by increasing your calories. 

I know eating more sounds counterproductive, but your metabolism slows to a crawl when you exercise a ton and don't fuel your body properly.

How are you eating?  What kinds of foods? 

I have a few journals, and I'll include the one with weight loss tips here.  I have more if you'd like to read them- I've lost over 100 lbs myself.

Good luck, mama!!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Rainray2
by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Thanks for your reply! I read your weight loss tips and ill see if I can encorporate more "clean" foods into my diet.
These past weeks eggs and chicken have been a huge part of my diet (2-3 meals). I've been trying to encorporate more fish and seafood in (had talapia and shrimp for lunch today!).
The trainer I met with yesterday told me to try and steer clear of red meats. My family probably BBQs at home once or less per week (charcoal grill) and we bought our beef locally so I don't think this is a problem but I'll listen and eat something different.
I've been drinking ONLY water- around 2-3L a day.
Now, here's where I think my problem lies. I am not a big fresh fruits and veggies kind of girl. I buy fresh fruits for my kiddos but I rarely indulge.
As for veggies I grew up only on canned veggies so I don't even know what to look for when buying them or preparing them. I found that I dislike the crisp or chewy texture. For example with green beans. I like them to be completely tender with no chew to them. KWIM?
I know I should get over this.

I do indulge in one 90 cal rice crispy treat per day. I went from a diet of pure sugar to this and I'm not yet ready to give this up. I know I should but I'm giving myself some leeway right now as I want to be successful.
EiuGirl316
by Leah on May. 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Welcome to the group!!!

aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Welcome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaof3forlife
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Welcome!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Red meats aren't the enemy, as long as you choose lean cuts.  Ideally grass-fed, if possible, too, because grass-fed meats are high in omega-3s (healthy fats).  They're also a great source of the form of iron that's easily absorbed into the body, vitamin B-12, and other important nutrients.  I think once a week is probably a good thing for most people!

Keep working on those fruits and veggies.  Try new ways of preparing them.  I've worked on one at a time, trying different ways of eating them, and I've learned to like some that I never did until recently.  Canned veggies have very little nutritional value.  You'd be better off buying frozen, which are as healthy or healthier than fresh (they can be healthier because they're picked ripe, as opposed to very unripe, like most resh produce).  It's better to buy fresh or frozen and steam the heck out of it than it is to buy canned.  Steaming will leave in the majority of the nutrients.  Canned tends to leach them out, potassium in particular, not to mention the added sodium.  Keep working on them, and explore new recipes!  You can even do veggies in place of rice with something (like I make chicken tikka masala, and I used cauliflower and broccoli in place of rice, for example). 

I'd say as long as everything else is going well, keep your rice crispy treat, ya know?  You don't have to be perfect by any means, and working on a few things at a time is generally more feasible than trying to tackle every single thing.  If that's what will keep you on track, then it's your friend, not your foe!  =)  Maybe someday you'll decide to give it up, too, but don't get ahead of yourself or think that far out- focus on what you can change today that will help you to stay on track.

You sound like you have a pretty good idea of what you need to do!  Keep making those healthy changes, and you'll see healthy changes in yourself!

woohoo

Quoting Rainray2:

Thanks for your reply! I read your weight loss tips and ill see if I can encorporate more "clean" foods into my diet.
These past weeks eggs and chicken have been a huge part of my diet (2-3 meals). I've been trying to encorporate more fish and seafood in (had talapia and shrimp for lunch today!).
The trainer I met with yesterday told me to try and steer clear of red meats. My family probably BBQs at home once or less per week (charcoal grill) and we bought our beef locally so I don't think this is a problem but I'll listen and eat something different.
I've been drinking ONLY water- around 2-3L a day.
Now, here's where I think my problem lies. I am not a big fresh fruits and veggies kind of girl. I buy fresh fruits for my kiddos but I rarely indulge.
As for veggies I grew up only on canned veggies so I don't even know what to look for when buying them or preparing them. I found that I dislike the crisp or chewy texture. For example with green beans. I like them to be completely tender with no chew to them. KWIM?
I know I should get over this.

I do indulge in one 90 cal rice crispy treat per day. I went from a diet of pure sugar to this and I'm not yet ready to give this up. I know I should but I'm giving myself some leeway right now as I want to be successful.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Welcome to the group mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)