Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

depressed and not motivated... need inspiration please

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM
  • 9 Replies
Idk if it is the scale I'm using is messed up or its me but i have been watching what i eat and getting a good bit of exercise for 3 weeks before i finally couldn't stand not weighing myself. According to my scale ( different one than last weigh in) i gained almost seven pounds in three weeks. I'm so upset and miserable. I realize weight loss is a long journey but i am trying. I have no home support but joined the local gym with childcare. I have to stop in segmented bc my son does not know all the women yet and freaks out screaming on the ones he doesn't. On a good day I'm staying an hour to an hour and a half. Bad days thirty minutes. I want him comfortable before i start the actual classes that last an hour. When i mentioned the scale thing to dh he says " you are always going to have a big ass and hips learn to live with it" but I'm miserable in my own body. I really am trying. I have been going to the gym 3 days a week to start, gardening, swimming, taking strollers walks but I'm so discouraged.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
asaffell
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Did you get your BMR to know if you're eating enough? You might want to get that and track everything you eat for a month. It's AMAZING the amount of calories we undereat or overeat without realizing.

And even then, the first month is usually hard on your body - everything is getting used to this new lifestyle. A lot of people will see a gain in the first weeks of a workout program because of the way your body repairs muscle. 

So make sure your diet is on point - even post a full day's worth of food in here - and hang in there!

camkei
by on May. 30, 2013 at 1:40 AM

the first thing I did that worked for me to know i was eating enough and not over or under eating was i took my body weight and added a zero and that was the calories my body needed on a daily basis and I knew that formula my body was no deprived or starving and i wasn't eating too much.  It kept me on track and i had a food journal I wrote every piece of food I put into my body down and I drank half of my body weight in ounces of water.  For every 10 pounds i loss i readjusted the calories so for example when i got to 140 my calorie intake went to 1400 a day.  it really worked for me and I hope this helps.  Stick with it because no piece of food will taste as good as being healthy feels :)  You got this you can do it!!!  What type of exercise do you enjoy.  There maybe something as well that you can do at home and include your kids in the process

Have a blessed day,

Cynthia

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 30, 2013 at 5:54 AM

You might not be eating enough mama...let us do your BMR for you.  Need your age, height, weight, and number of days you workout each week and if you are breastfeeding or not.  Stick with it!

p608319chef
by on May. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I'm using the myfitnesspal app on my phone and tracking EVERYTHING i eat or drink. According to it i need 1710 calories a day. After factoring in my daily exercise i have actually eaten 1600 once. I'm really active bc i have a one year old. When i go to the gym i have been doing the elliptical alot and doing strength training exercises. Leg abductions, presses, using the machines to lift weights... I'm joining the zumba class and pilates and maybe yoga when my son gets to know the child care people enough to not scream for an hour. According to the app i should be losing a ton of weight. It is set for me to lose a pound a week but with my calories intake it says about two pounds a week. I eat things to try and up many calories bc otherwise i would be no where near it after all the exercise i get. I have been drinking a good bit of water also but not really tracking it.
childofGod995
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM

could you possibly have a thyroid condition or on medication that causes weight gain?

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM

first of all using two different scales -could be some of the problem.  

Pick one and only use it.   Give your body a bit of time and make sure you are drinking water too.

hang in there.  

p608319chef
by on May. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I'm not on medication now but i didn't really gain any weight until i stared taking medicine to try and get pregnant. After my son was born i took hormone birth control pills for a while and gained this weight. It really messed me up, i had crazy side effects that the Dr tried to say is normal. I was kind of wondering about the thyroid thing but can't go to the Dr now bc i have no insurance.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I agree about using multiple scales- ONLY use one.  That can easily be the issue.

Next, would you be okay with us calculating your calories for you?  MFP is notorious for throwing people's numbers off, and if you're eating less than your BMR, you will have difficulty losing weight.  If you'll post (or PM Darby, Claire or me) the info Darby asked for, we can calculate your BMR and give you a calorie range to eat within.  It's not simply about calories in vs. calories out.  It's more complicated than that.  It can be a fine line between too few calories and the right balance to help you lose weight.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

p608319chef
by on May. 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I'm looking for a more reliable app if anyone knows one. I'm 21, 5' 3", 175 ish, not breast feeding,, and i get AT LEAST 30 minutes of exercise 6 days a week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)