Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Losing weight while Breastfeeding.

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 13 Replies
My son is three months now and exclusively breastfeeding I want to start losing weight but don't know what all I can do without losing my milk supply and making sure I'm still eating enough calories for my baby. Has anybody else dieted while breastfeeding?
by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM

We can help you figure out how many calories you need.  We just need your height, weight, age, and how much you work out.  We'll give you a range that will help you lose without sacrificing your milk supply.  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Tigerlily9er
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I weigh 132, am 5'3. And I'm 20 years old. Thank you for help(:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Do you exercise?

Suzanne

Tigerlily9er
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I do exercise when I get  the chance. I have a three month old and a 19 month old so it's hard to fit much of it in. But I do walk around the block when I can and lately I've been doing crunches other simple exercises while my little ones are napping. 

asaffell
by on May. 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Drink a TON of water - hydration is hugely important to milk supply.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 30, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Okay, so here are the numbers:

1431 + 500 (for breastfeeding) = 1931- this is the MINIMUM number of calories you should be eating per day while breastfeeding, regardless of how active you are.

1431 x 1.375 = 1967- this how many calories you would need to maintain your current wight if you weren't breastfeeding with your current activity level.  You would normally subtract 500 calories from this to get a calorie deficit, but since we're adding 500 to your numbers for breastfeeding, I'll skip that step.

To lose 1 lb per week, consume 1931-1967 calories per day.

Don't be afraid to exercise- as long as you're consume at least the 1931 calories per day, you'll be okay.  Don't stress about going over a little here and there- over is better than under.  Just make sure those calories count- opt for healthy choices!

I have a journal about eating clean, which has helped me lose my weight, and is 100% safe while breastfeeding.  You can read it here.  That can help guide you toward healthy food choices.  If you need more guidance, let me know!  =)

Suzanne

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 30, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Welcome and good luck mama!

Steffani67
by on May. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
What equation do you use to tell how many calories you should eat? As I'm losing weight i would like to be able o do the equation every 5-10 lbs lost
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

We use this website, and factor in the Harris Benedict equation.

Quoting Steffani67:

What equation do you use to tell how many calories you should eat? As I'm losing weight i would like to be able o do the equation every 5-10 lbs lost

Suzanne

Tigerlily9er
by on May. 30, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much. You have been extremely helpful! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)