Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My first race will be postponed :(

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:00 AM
  • 11 Replies
Grr I'm a little annoyed. I just found out ill be changing my diet the week before the race, then starting the day before the race ill be on a clear liquid diet. So I won't be doing the 4-miles like I had hoped. :(. I'm bummed Cuz my BFF from kindergarten on who now lives across the country was gonna run it with me!

I am signing up for a "dirty girl" on August 3rd. And a 5k on July 27th.

Ok, enough complaining for me this am!
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJessx3
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I'm confused. Why are you changing your diet? And why clear liquid?
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Same question- is there a medical reason for this?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Yup. Have to have a colonoscopy due to family history of colon cancer. I have to start eliminating certain foods a week before the procedure, more foods 5 days out, clear liquids 3 days out and npo after midnight the night before. It sucks and ill be happy when its over.
Silvertears1275
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Most of our patients just do a 24 hour prep....  I'm assuming that you're not having to use any laxative products this way....? 

Sorry about having to postpone your race!  That sucks...

Quoting audmom1218:

Yup. Have to have a colonoscopy due to family history of colon cancer. I have to start eliminating certain foods a week before the procedure, more foods 5 days out, clear liquids 3 days out and npo after midnight the night before. It sucks and ill be happy when its over.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Nope, still have to take a laxative the night before and morning of. It's mayo clinic health system (ie their protocol) and I've noticed they tend to be more strict with their procedures.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Most of our patients just do a 24 hour prep....  I'm assuming that you're not having to use any laxative products this way....? 

Quoting audmom1218:

Silvertears1275
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Wow...  good luck to you!  I now how cranky our colonoscopy patients are the morning of our procedure after a 24 hour prep.  I hope they treat you extra special that day after all that!

Quoting audmom1218:

Nope, still have to take a laxative the night before and morning of. It's mayo clinic health system (ie their protocol) and I've noticed they tend to be more strict with their procedures.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Quoting audmom1218:

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I remember after my last one they brought me a breakfast tray, and I inhaled it in under 5 min. My procedure isn't untl noon! I'm anticipating a migraine!!!
MamaJessx3
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Wow that sucks! That's definitely not the procedure here either. My grandma had one recently and didn't have to do all that. Good luck!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Ug, fun.  Colonoscopy was the first thing that came to mind, but never assume!  LOL  I plan to start them early, too, since two of my grandparents had colon cancer, and one had diverticulitis.  That said, my diet is SIGNIFICANTLY healthier than either of theirs were!

Good luck!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Whew, just got the letter with the actual prep plan in the mail, and thankfully the ignorant nurse on the phone was wacko!!  DOn't have to go on clear liquids until the day before! whew!! (She actually wrote the date wrong then crossed it out and wrote the correct one).

I do have to cut out beans, popcorn, corn, etc one week before, and fruit with skin, veggies with skin, etc 5 days before.  

My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer at 39, and passed away at 42, so it's definitely freaky! She did smoke, but other than that she was a healthy active mama.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)