Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is more important

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
  • 6 Replies

when wanting to lose weight and not build muscle, is it necessary to do both strength training and cardio?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM

why don't you want muscle?

you should do both

Ptitchou
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Muscle helps immensely in weight loss. However, if you're not wanting BULK, when doing weight training, do more reps and less weight.
Jenndill
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my....YES! Strength training is essential for increasing metabolism to burn more calories at rest, and while doing cardio. It tones your body and gives it shape. You do not have enough testosterone in your body to bulk up, but strength training will help with weight loss and maintenance long term. It also helps maintain and build bone mass, and helps your heart. It also makes you strong to be able to handle day to day tasks.

Weight training will help you lose weight. Muscle takes up less room in your body than fat. Because it is an active tissue, you will burn calories all day long.

I lift heavy weights and it makes a big difference.

Think of it that way, just doing cardio, and not doing strength training and flexibility training, is like eating only one type is food. If you only ate meat, do you think your body and health could survive?

It is important to have a balanced exercise routine. You can strength train as little as twice a week, and it will help!

Good luck!
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Yes, all of this!! 

Quoting Jenndill:

Oh my....YES! Strength training is essential for increasing metabolism to burn more calories at rest, and while doing cardio. It tones your body and gives it shape. You do not have enough testosterone in your body to bulk up, but strength training will help with weight loss and maintenance long term. It also helps maintain and build bone mass, and helps your heart. It also makes you strong to be able to handle day to day tasks.

Weight training will help you lose weight. Muscle takes up less room in your body than fat. Because it is an active tissue, you will burn calories all day long.

I lift heavy weights and it makes a big difference.

Think of it that way, just doing cardio, and not doing strength training and flexibility training, is like eating only one type is food. If you only ate meat, do you think your body and health could survive?

It is important to have a balanced exercise routine. You can strength train as little as twice a week, and it will help!

Good luck!

Stefanie83
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
As you lose weight, you will lose fat and muscle. Doing resistance training will help keep your losses to mostly fat. :)
itsm3
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i do both; i love looking and feeling strong.  putting on some lean muscle mass helps torch even more calories which further accelerates weight loss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)