Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Protein and supplements

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm wanted to start drinking a protein shake and taking something for Pre work out? Any recommendations? I was thinking about buying whey protein power and drinking a protein shake for lunch every day but not sure about the Pre work out? I'm wanting to lose about 30lbs before I get pregnant but I don't want to do it the wrong way. And I'd like to lose it within 6 months. It may seem like a lot but I'm overweight for my height I'd like to end up losi 50lbs total but my goal is 30lbs for now

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

What is it that you think you need before you work out?  The ONLY time I ever have something specific before a workout (aside from not ever working out on an empty stomach) is before a 10+ mile run.  I use Vega products for protein- after a lifting session, I use their performance protein and after long runs, I use Vega One nutritional shake.  I mix them both with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.  I recognize the ingredients in them, which is the ONLY reason I buy them.  They are among the most processed products I consume, because I *generally* eat clean.  The only reason I drink protein after these workouts is because I can't stomach solid food.  Otherwise I'd have an egg and a slice of toast or something like that.

Why is it that you want to drink a shake for lunch?  Is that something you feel like you could stick with for life?  Results are only as permanent as the means by which you achieve them, which is why I ask.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Bretnasmommy
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Like my husband takes a Pre workout drink to help boost his energy and I'd like something like that to help me WANT to run lol. I hate running. Weights and sit ups I'll do I just HATE running!

Quoting musicpisces:

What is it that you think you need before you work out?  The ONLY time I ever have something specific before a workout (aside from not ever working out on an empty stomach) is before a 10+ mile run.  I use Vega products for protein- after a lifting session, I use their performance protein and after long runs, I use Vega One nutritional shake.  I mix them both with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.  I recognize the ingredients in them, which is the ONLY reason I buy them.  They are among the most processed products I consume, because I *generally* eat clean.  The only reason I drink protein after these workouts is because I can't stomach solid food.  Otherwise I'd have an egg and a slice of toast or something like that.

Why is it that you want to drink a shake for lunch?  Is that something you feel like you could stick with for life?  Results are only as permanent as the means by which you achieve them, which is why I ask.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I have a protein shake or protein bar when I'm not going to reach my protein goal for the day.  There is no benefit to protein shakes, other than getting in some extra protein if you don't feel like getting it through other food that day.  I don't know anything about creatine or other supplements.  But I don't take any :)  good luck! 30 lbs is a great goal for 6 months!  :)

itsm3
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

imo, it's never a good idea to drink your calories or replace meals with liquid.  you need to eat your calories. 

a protein shake is ok once in a whlie as a snack or as a post-workout refuel but never to replace your meals.

drink you cals and you'll only end up making yourself crazy (hungry) and putting on all the wieght when you start eating food again.

just eat within your caloric range for weight loss, eat clean and exercise at least 4x/week and you will lose weight.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

No drink is going to make you WANT to run.  It'll only add calories, which is not what your goal is, I assume.  Honestly, I HATED running for the first several months I did it.  It was a means to an end.  I did it because I knew it would help me lose weight.  Somewhere in there, it grew on me, and now, I LOVE it!  I NEVER saw that coming.  I was the girl that walked around the track in PE as a kid.  I was NEVER a runner in any sense of the word.

My morning pre-run drink is coffee.  You really don't need anything more than that.  You don't need anything caloric unless you're going for 90+ minutes, which you're DEFINITELY not doing if you're just getting started!  =)

I also agree with itsm3, drinking your calories isn't ideal.  I only do it when I can't stomach solid food.  You don't get the same sense of satiety (fullness) that you get with solid food, and for most people, it's something you won't do once you hit your goal.

Quoting Bretnasmommy:

Like my husband takes a Pre workout drink to help boost his energy and I'd like something like that to help me WANT to run lol. I hate running. Weights and sit ups I'll do I just HATE running!

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)