Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Married to a Pastry Chef...

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
A year ago, I was the smallest I had been in years. I was very proud of all the lifestyle changes I had made. My husband decided to start his own bakery...ahh! He bakes so much and has decided I'm his quality control taster. I've gained back almost all the weight I've lost. Sweets have always been my weakness, and John is so talented, it is hard to stop eating his stuff. While he gets really upset if I do not try his baking, I am ultimately in control of my choices. I need to get a handle on my life again, and now is the perfect time...I am spending the summer out East, and he is baking in Vegas all summer.

I'm just looking for some support as I dust myself off and get back on track! If anyone has any advice, I will welcome that, too!
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaiasMommy619
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Oh God bless you! Lol
I'm sure you'll feel great with this group of ladies!!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

OMG, I'd have such a hard time with that!  LOL  I'm glad my SIL is a couple of hours away- she is an amazing cook, and little of what she makes is healthy! 

I would suggest talking to him about why you don't want to be the token taster, and maybe make a compromise, where you only taste X number of things each day/week?  That way both of you are happy.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

xxBiteMExx
by Myra on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Lol. my hubby is a great cook (he wants to be a chef) so he makes most of the meals. Its hard to say no to such great foods lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassie1989b
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM
He could have you taste "healthy choice" ops?? Maybe he. could check out recipe for a more healthy type of sweets there are a lot of ppl who would love a healthy but tasty options
Sierramoon
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Wow. That sucks but also sounds like heaven. I think you're going to have to focus heavily on exercise. Also, make it a rule that everything you eat will be super healthy except for what hubby makes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wahmx3
by Shelley on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Ohhhh I feel your pain....I love sweets! I bet he could make a great income by making lower fat, lower sugar/sugar free, lower sodium healthier versions of desserts and sweets and you could taste test those. There are many people looking for healthier versions of desserts. Does he bake them at home or at a bakery? I know I oculdn't resist everything and wouldn't even try but have a bite or two and if is in the house....tell him that after 2 bites, he has to finish it, take it away or you are throwing it out! Challenge yourself to a full glass of water for every bite you eat.

LetoLiebe
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I would be so done for if my husband where a pastry chef. Oh lord! I love those sweets! Good for you for realizing it is a real weakness and you will get your self back on track. Maybe allow your self certain days to taste his stuff, like one day a week and tell him you will be more than happy to test 3 items which he cares about you testing the most, and one bite of the pastry or sweet and or another bite if needed but not the whole thing if you don't want to or don't feel like you can afford the calories. 

Discuss with him how important it is that he knows how much you care about meeting his needs and wants, but that being fit is important to you and benefits him as well;)

With him gone you will be able to get back to it and put the new guidelines in to practice when he gets back full time in the fall.

GleeFan
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

OH man, a pastry chef! I would weigh a ton. Pastries are my weakness.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Hugs Heather!  

caro100
by Carol on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Number 1, your husband has to know you can't taste EVERYTHING.  You guys need to sit down and have a frank discussion and  he needs to not get offended everytime you decline a taste.  Good luck and I would just literally, take just a bite, when you are unable to get out of tasting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)