Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

my calorie counting watch says ive burned 1500 cal already today

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 13 Replies
How exactly do these things decide how many calories are being burned? Because it seems reaaallllyyyy high
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Hm.  The one you posted I've never seen, so it may not be particularly accurate.  My FitBit Ultra and One were always pretty accurate.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

The watch you have is only designed to be worn with the chest strap during a workout. Only fitbits, bodymedia, and bodybuggs are designed to be worn 24/7/365. A watch is only going to be reliable for workouts AND only while the strap is being worn. They measure increase in heart rate due to the sensors on the strap. Using only the watch is not going to be accurate. 

A bodymedia and bodybugg have sensors that measure water dissipation, oxygen, heart rate, etc and they are extremely accurate. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

imacafemomer
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

how do I decide which product I should buy? I see bodybug and bodymedia and fitbit all have multiple products

aprilsalcro
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Google reviews and features and see what is best for you.

Quoting imacafemomer:

how do I decide which product I should buy? I see bodybug and bodymedia and fitbit all have multiple products

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imacafemomer
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
How exactly does it calculate calories? Is there some equation for your heart rate that calculates your calories burned? I am just wondering how one can be more accurate than another
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Yep...this exactly!  

Quoting mcginnisc:

The watch you have is only designed to be worn with the chest strap during a workout. Only fitbits, bodymedia, and bodybuggs are designed to be worn 24/7/365. A watch is only going to be reliable for workouts AND only while the strap is being worn. They measure increase in heart rate due to the sensors on the strap. Using only the watch is not going to be accurate. 

A bodymedia and bodybugg have sensors that measure water dissipation, oxygen, heart rate, etc and they are extremely accurate. 

imacafemomer
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM
How would it only be accurate during a workout? Id the formula for calories burned different when you are not working out? How does someone know if it is accurate or not? The watch measures heart rate all the time so how is it only accurate when the strap is on? I am not trying to be rude, i just dont know. Is there a way i can test its accuracy somehow?
People say the fit bit can be inaccurate too but i really want to know, what data is there to suggest it is inaccurate? Can you measure calories burned in another non electronic way to validate the accuracy of any of those devices?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yep...this exactly!  

Quoting mcginnisc:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM

ALL methods of measuring calorie burn, even HRMs, Fitbits, BodyBuggs, etc are estimates.  Watch HRMs are notoriously inaccurate, and even the chest strap ones can way overestimate your calorie burn if you wear it all day.  A good one will factor in your resting heart rate, weight, and other factors as well.  HRMs are designed to only be worn during workouts. 

Outside of a lab, there's really no exact measurement of calories burned, but the Fitbit and Bodybugg have both been proven to be the most accurate for all-day wear, if you do some research.  I did a lot of research when I was deciding on what to buy (again, I had a Fitbit, first the Ultra, then the One), and those were the most accurate.  I haven't read the research on the new Fitbit wrist one.  But even the Fitbit was way off during workouts.  It was really frustrating, so I wore my HRM (with chest strap) to get a more accurate assessment of my burn during that time, and I would manually enter it in on the site (you're supposed to manually enter in workouts, anyway, though it would always adjust funky, especially running, in my case). 

Even when you log calories burned in different places, you'll get different numbers.  When I run, I use MapMyRun and my Garmin, which both give me different numbers, and then I get a different number than those when I log it into MFP!  So again, they're all just estimates.  To my knowledge, there isn't one universal equation to factor in HR, even.  I've searched for different online calculators, and they're all over the place on the numbers.  I haven't seen anything on the medical end, but perhaps someone more in the nutrition field or personal training has a more accurate answer on that one.

Quoting imacafemomer:

How would it only be accurate during a workout? Id the formula for calories burned different when you are not working out? How does someone know if it is accurate or not? The watch measures heart rate all the time so how is it only accurate when the strap is on? I am not trying to be rude, i just dont know. Is there a way i can test its accuracy somehow?
People say the fit bit can be inaccurate too but i really want to know, what data is there to suggest it is inaccurate? Can you measure calories burned in another non electronic way to validate the accuracy of any of those devices?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Yep...this exactly!  

Quoting mcginnisc:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

randomosityblog
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I use my Omron heart rate monitor.. it's similar to what the fit bit one says.. and bases it on my heart rate so I'm assuming it's accurate?? How do we know if it's not? 

What did you do to burn 1500 cals? I know with the body bugg it shows your cals burned all day, even while resting.. so it's a bit higher than if you just turn your heart rate monitor on for a workout.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I don't understand it myself but I know that heart rate doesn't really indicate how many calories you burn. Just like if someone scares the crap out of you and your heart rate is elevated for a few minutes, you are not burning more calories.  HRMs use heart rate as a proxy for oxygen exchange because heart rate and oxygen exchange are typically correlated as are oxygen exchange and energy use.  But the algorithm the hrm uses is only accurate during aerobic exercise (not weight lifting, or sitting, or fixing lunch, etc).  I can't explain well because I don't understand well lol. ;)

I really need to try to wear mine all day and see what it says! I'm guessing it would say around 3000 when really my daily burn is around 2000.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)