Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do we start?! HELP!!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:21 AM
  • 10 Replies
Dh and I are addicted to fast food, eating out, processed foods, in otherwords CRAP! I'm suck of it. We are both fat and sick and tired all the time!! It stops now, but where do we begin? I don't want just a diet but a lifestyle change. I wanna do smoothies, dh and I like them. But not sure where to start. I want us to do a detox too cuz I know our bodies are full of crap, but again don't know where to start on a detox. So anyone have any good suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!!
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome stranger:)  Glad you are here!  

First of all, I would focus on small changes...don't overwhelm yourself with a bunch of changes right off the bat...you want to set yourself up for success and not failure.  Drink LOTS of water...half your body weight in ounces each day.  Focus your diet on veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein.  I wouldn't do any detoxes as your body has organs for that:)  As long as you are eating the right kinds of foods, your body will detox itself.  

You also want to make sure you are eating enough food to support your body and its activity...I know you're busy with your little guy!  I would start by counting calories on a site like Myfitnesspal.com or Sparkpeople.com.  They are free and easy to use.  You also want to find your BMR...what your body burns each day just by you sitting on your booty.  We can help with your BMR if you provide your height, weight, age, and number of days you workout each week.  

muzzyh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't try to change everything overnight, it'll backfire. Baby steps! This is how it all started for me: Add some exercise, walking or yoga,(I ran) and eventually you'll start to notice how different foods effect your workouts and your body. Start paying more attention to what your body wants and needs to run most efficiently.
childofGod995
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM

a good thing would be if you joined a weight loss support group and wrote your goals.

randomosityblog
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

If you're really ready, dive in head first.. balls to the wall.. and make a huge lifestyle change.

If you're only partially ready, make small changes one at a time. Stop eating out or just cut back to once a month. Drink water, and water only, for your beverages. Start doing 30 minutes of cardio each day. Etc.

I was truly fed up this time (though I've tried dozens of other times and failed), so I cut back on my calories - I'm at about 1600 now - and started working out 2 hours each day - except for one rest day each week. I've been losing about 2 pounds a week. If I cut back on my carbs and sodium, I'd lose more, but I'm just not at that point yet.

Hanab818
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Take babys step. I always ate fairly healthy eating fast food MAYBE 2 times a week. My problem was how much I ate so i started counting calories and watching my portions. that has helped me in the food department. As far as exercise, its been 10 years since i worked out regularly and stuck to it more then 2 weeks. What i did was cardio only every day. either at the gym or just running around the park with the kids. At first i started with 15 mins before I was exausted and completely winded and hurt liek crazy then i would add 5 mins per week. Im now up to 45 mins to an hour. depending how hard i push. After a couple weeks of just cardio ( maybe 4 or 5) i added the pins you find on pinterest that say do this, this and this exercise, this many times. Soon i will add weight lifting. Doing it this way has helped me stay with it because im not pushing ym body too hard and Im slowly getting used to working out again. hope this helps.

MomGoneHealthy
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Start by throwing away all the crappy food out of your house.  Then Start a food journal.  Then make a plan.  you know what's good and what is not.  Make a plan with what is reasonable for you and then figure out how you will follow it.  Get a good blender and buy fruits, veggies, and stevia (if you need a sweetener) and have 1 or 2 per day.  Never let yourself get really hungry...eat every 2 hours.

foistela
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Join SparkPeople.com and log all your food. It' has helped me tremendously.

Trabrooke
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Go slow  change something not so good for a healthy alternative  drink water little bit of exercise (I walk) slowly then when you are confident go a little bit further. Good luck 

mama-mialisia
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Check out Sparkpeople.com !

Weight loss boards, support groups, calorie trackers, weight-ins, exercise and water tracking. Great lifestyle change articles, success stories ... the list goes on. I've lost 180 lbs and this is where I started !

As far as a detox. I do detox baths instead of detox diets. Detox diets and fasting arent that great for your body. I do however include foods high in antioxidents in my diet. I love Kale ! I also take Green Tea supplements.

If you are interested in trying a detox bath, this is what I use...

Get the water as hot as you can stand it.

2 cups epsom salt

1 cup baking soda

1 tablespoon ground ginger

and I like to add lavender or tea tree oil just for the aroma therapy.

The first time, try to stay in for atleast 20 minutes and increase up to 40. 

Warning: You WILL be sweating your butt off like you just ran a marathon so if it's your first  time I advise you to get out of the tub slowly ! I have dh on standby just because I get light headed easily. It also helps with pain and I have sooooo much energy the next day. I do it right before bed because it drains me and I sleep like a baby ! lol

Mipsy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Thanks gals so much!!! You guys have given us a lot to sit and discuss and begin doing!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)