Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Unmotivated and unhealthy.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm not happy, I'm not motivated, and I'm not healthy.

I want to be.  I have tried to be.  It always fails.  I've bounced around from 180 in high school to 310 after my daughter to 270 after my son.  I've talked with my doctor, I have PCOS, I've had it since I was 15.  I've talked with a dietitian, I know moderation and healthy fats and veggies and the like.  I know it takes a LOT of work to get healthy. 

I've changed how I eat and I've tried to workout more.  Then I fall back into old habits and get depressed.  My husband doesn't help, no matter how much I talk with him about it.  I try to make changes to get the family healthy, he wont eat it.  He buys and makes his own dinners.  That's extra money?!?  He doesn't care.

I don't drive so I can't go to places like Curves or any other place to workout.  Everything I do has to be at home or around it.

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randomosityblog
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I am going to speak about my own experience, only because if I say it directed TOWARDS people they think I'm being really mean/harsh. I am not great at giving advice to other people, except relating it back to how I made changes. Hope that makes sense.

I think the first step to me having a healthier mindset was being fed up with being fat. Are you sick of being overweight? Are you disgusted when you see yourself naked in the mirror? Do you wish you were smaller?

After I realized I was fed up - ACTUALLY fed up this time - I knew I had to do something about it. That meant ditching the excuses. Can't go to the gym? That doesn't mean you can't get off your ass. There are free workout ideas online.. you can make your own.. or you can buy some "walk away the pounds" DVDs for like $6 on Amazon. Starting with walking is a good idea. When you're ready for more, try Jillian Michaels or another trainer that you love.. get some of their DVDs.

My DVDs collect dust on the shelves. I have to get outside. It's hot. Or it rains. Or I don't feel like it... but I still do it.

Check out MyFitnessPal.com to track your calories. 

I exercise about 2 hours a day, but I know not everyone has that kind of time. Everyone DOES have time, though, they just have to make it a priority. I'd start with an hour a day, but that's just me. :)

It comes down to JUST DOING IT. Time to stop thinking about it, and start DOING it.

Realize that every excuse you have is invalid and if you can walk, you can lose weight. And when you're ready - ACTUALLY ready - you will lose the weight. 

Good luck!

Silverkitty
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have started walking AGAIN.  1.5 miles, measured it out, I try to go after dinner every evening that it doesn't rain.  I've done it 6 times this month.  I hate it but I"m attempting to do it and keep doing it.

randomosityblog
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Quoting Silverkitty:

I have started walking AGAIN.  1.5 miles, measured it out, I try to go after dinner every evening that it doesn't rain.  I've done it 6 times this month.  I hate it but I"m attempting to do it and keep doing it.

That's a great start. :) I hate it too. One good thing is it DOES get easier. Definitely try to up your mileage gradually to see weight loss results.

Beebella
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I got raly depressed after I couldn't shed the baby weight after a year of trying. I lost only 15 of the 50lbs I gained. I went on nutrisystem and weight watchers and they helped but I would get tired of feeling like my life revolved around food and counting calories. I saw a natural-path doc and she gave me some supplements and suggestions on what to eat and what to avoid. I started losing weight and kept it off, still not enough tho. I have 35lbs to lose and it's tough. I eat healthy things but I also eat some things that are not so good for me. I am a SAHM and I try to take DD out once a day to the park and for a walk. I found these videos on YouTube that are 6 minute work out videos so I try to do it once a day or every other day along with walking. DH doesn't gain weight so its hard to eat with him because he can have whatever he wants. He eats healthy but can also eat a burger without worrying about it. I still have some work to do but I try not to put too much pressure on myself.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Great job with your walking mama!  I would recommend you make a list of all the reasons why you want to lose weight and get healthy.  Carry that list with you throughout the day and remind yourself of it:)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Weight loss is tough, and there will always be barriers, but overcoming them is what will separate those who lose from those who don't.  It's hard having a hubby who isn't on board- I deal with it, too.  I found that compromises worked best.  I experiment with new recipes, but only if there are leftovers of something I know he likes.  I have slowly made my old recipes healthier, and most of the time, he likes whatever I am making.  I also will make something like rice for my hubby, but not have it myself, and I'll make salad, which he will likely eat two bites of, but I'll have a huge helping.  Things like that keep us from getting overly frustrated with each other (though I hate the example he's setting for our son when he makes unhealthy choices, and DS is getting old enough to notice). 

There are lots of ideas for working out at home, and DVDs can be a great start.  I also run, bike, and swim, but I do a lot of lifting in my yard or living room.  I also sometimes drive to the park and do pull ups (assisted- my feet on the ground), play on the monkey bars, do sprints, and tons of other moves.  I take my kettlebell and do moves there, too.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MomRocs1102
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

it would be a lot easier if your spouse would be supportive that sucks.  Maybe you all could find a middle ground with healthier items, that will reduce cost.  If hes not for it then forget it focus on you and set small goals for yourself.  Some people do better getting their eating habits better, then adding exercise. gl  Oh and you have us for a support system. :)

imacafemomer
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Have you tried drugs for the pcos? My dr told me that women who have hormonal problems worry that a drug to correct it or help it will make them gain weight. But when you have pcos your hormonal balance itself causes weight gain from the depression, tiredness, and food cravings not to mention changing the way your body metabolizes your food. By taking a drug to balance your hormones it takes away the causes for the weight gain (eating out of depression, too tired to work out, and so on) so if in a normal person the drug may cause weight gain, for a person with a hormonal balance it will either balance it out causing no increase in weight gain from your average, or even cause weight loss. Examples of drugs that help with pcos are hormonal birth control or a potassium sparring diurettic For its androgen effects
imacafemomer
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Both of the drug types i suggested are NOT for weight loss, they were suggested to me and some of my friends who have pcos, for a treatment for pcos i am not telling you to take drugs to lose weight. But if you take them to treat your medical problem it will help you make the next steps in your life. It is hard moving forward in life when you feel stuck because of something you feel you cant change. I think so at least from my experience.
Silverkitty
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

My doc doesn't want to put me on anything, but BC, since I am not diabetic or close to being diabetic.  I have other annoying things that come with PCOS.  She has been hoping that diet and exercise will help.  In the past three years I've been here, it's only help me maintain where I am and not gain more.  I have an appointment on the 26th and I'm going to talk with her about it again.  It's frustrating and depressing.

Quoting imacafemomer:

Have you tried drugs for the pcos? My dr told me that women who have hormonal problems worry that a drug to correct it or help it will make them gain weight. But when you have pcos your hormonal balance itself causes weight gain from the depression, tiredness, and food cravings not to mention changing the way your body metabolizes your food. By taking a drug to balance your hormones it takes away the causes for the weight gain (eating out of depression, too tired to work out, and so on) so if in a normal person the drug may cause weight gain, for a person with a hormonal balance it will either balance it out causing no increase in weight gain from your average, or even cause weight loss. Examples of drugs that help with pcos are hormonal birth control or a potassium sparring diurettic For its androgen effects

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN