Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Is this considered a crash diet?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 34 Replies
A blogger mom that I really respect and admire posted an eating plan that she used to lose the rest of her baby weight.she said her Dr recommended it. she dropped 30lbs in about 4 months.

the eating plan cut out all root vegetables, most fruit, all breads and carbs and most dairy.
she said the weight dropped off fast..and has stayed off.
you can still drink coffee and tea, but must drink the recommended amount of water. (half your body weight in ounces a day)
the proteins have to be real (eggs, chicken breast, lean ground beef, steak, pork etc) and non processed and lots of fresh veggies.
Is this meal plan all that bad?

I'm considering trying it, but making sure I eat my recommended amount of calories that the ladies in this group have worked up for me.
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Pretty much if sounds like a low carb diet. I couldn't function on that low of carbs personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM
But is it considered a crash diet or dangerous?
I avoid 'diets'..but with all the veggies and healthy protein..I'm not really seeing this as being a bad 'diet'?

Quoting crwspringer:

Pretty much if sounds like a low carb diet. I couldn't function on that low of carbs personally.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd never survive.

I see a diet as anything you can't spend the rest of your life doing 80% of the time. Sure we all indulge but for the most part stick to a "plan".

I would think that is kind of extreme.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM

This.

I don't think it's super unhealthy, but the issue is that it's SO limited that few people can stick with it to KEEP the weight off.  As in any case, there are always those that do, but they are in the minority.  I coulldn't handle it personally.  Even keeping my carbs down to 40% of my diet takes effort.

Really, though, very high protein diets can actually lead to high ammonia levels in the blood.  The byproduct of protein metabolism is ammonia, and if you overload the liver (and kidneys, but the primary organ involved is the liver), you can actually cause permanent organ damage, and, if prolonged, this can lead to hepatic encephalopathy, which is when the ammonia affects the brain, leading to damage, delirium, and other issues.

I think a modified version of this, including some healthy carbs, can be okay. 

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

I'd never survive.

I see a diet as anything you can't spend the rest of your life doing 80% of the time. Sure we all indulge but for the most part stick to a "plan".

I would think that is kind of extreme.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I personally think that anything that restrictive that causes that much weight loss that quickly is a crash diet.  A crash diet doesn't teach you how to eat appropriately which means you will most likely gain the weight back.

A "good" diet is one that leads to slow and steady weight loss.  It takes time to get to your goal weight.  During that time, you learn (hopefully) how you should be eating to lose weight--so when you are done losing, it is easy to apply the diet to the rest of your life.  It should not be so restrictive that you will drop food groups.  It should not be so restrictive that you give up foods you enjoy eating.

americansugar80
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM

because it sounds like a "low carb diet" or better known as "adkins diet" its set up for failure but its really up to you if you'd like to try it. the only reason this diet works is because your body works with the carbs and after the first week or 2 your body goes into starvation mode. you eat your protien and whatever else is low in carbs and an hour or so later you feel like your starving. its only a crash diet because when i tried it and yes i have done it like a million times and quit each time, you gain it all back withen weeks and you have to be even more careful because according to friend's testimony, this diet makes you gain even more if you quit it.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I agree that it sounds extreme, but it's not a crash or fad diet if done properly.  30 lb. in 4 months?  That's less than 10 lb. a month and it's very doable.  The only thing is that you HAVE to be willing to eat healthy foods like this for the rest of your life, and after you reach your goal it's easy to add back in some fruit and a few root veggies if you want, maybe even a Greek yogurt.  One or two days of cheating a week won't kill you or bring 10 lb. back, but you'll feel sluggish and sometimes you'll have digestive issues.  Going back to a standard Western diet after eating this way will do that to ya.

I eat like this with the exception of a few root veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, beets) 2 to 3 times a week.  Meal planning is a MUST in order to get the nutrition you need, but a diet with a large variety of veggies can give you that.  I've lost 27 pounds and kept it off, I have plenty of energy, and I feel GREAT. 

Keep portion sizes of the meat to normal, because those have the most calories, and keep a variety in the meat including organ meats....but you can eat your weight (pun not intended) in fresh non-starchy veggies!

If you're interested in some meal plans, I have MANY samples.  Just let me know.

grandmotherof6
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM

it sound good to me, but when you say baby fat, she just had a baby? well if she was pregnant, she is going to lose a lot of that after birth weight anyway

JulietAngel89
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

sounds like the diet i am on. here is one of my progress pics.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I'm going to add (I was in a hurry to get out the door this morning):

Your body will switch from burning carbs to burning fat on this diet.  You will HAVE to eat additional healthy fats like avocado, real butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and nut butters to provide energy for your body to burn, or you WILL become exhausted and sick.  You don't need a lot, but you do need them.

Be sure to drink your water!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I agree that it sounds extreme, but it's not a crash or fad diet if done properly.  30 lb. in 4 months?  That's less than 10 lb. a month and it's very doable.  The only thing is that you HAVE to be willing to eat healthy foods like this for the rest of your life, and after you reach your goal it's easy to add back in some fruit and a few root veggies if you want, maybe even a Greek yogurt.  One or two days of cheating a week won't kill you or bring 10 lb. back, but you'll feel sluggish and sometimes you'll have digestive issues.  Going back to a standard Western diet after eating this way will do that to ya.

I eat like this with the exception of a few root veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, beets) 2 to 3 times a week.  Meal planning is a MUST in order to get the nutrition you need, but a diet with a large variety of veggies can give you that.  I've lost 27 pounds and kept it off, I have plenty of energy, and I feel GREAT. 

Keep portion sizes of the meat to normal, because those have the most calories, and keep a variety in the meat including organ meats....but you can eat your weight (pun not intended) in fresh non-starchy veggies!

If you're interested in some meal plans, I have MANY samples.  Just let me know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN