Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

losing weight in front of others and hoping they'll notice?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 19 Replies
so i'm not sure if that's really the correct title to my thoughts here but what i'm trying to say is that I gained a lot of weight during the winter months and i'm trying really hard with better decisions and all to lose it all and I just would like to stay home and hope it sheds off so by the time I walk into a bar or some place, they'll be like "holy moly!!" but its kind of impossible to do that, its a little irritating too I guess you could say because by the time you lose 5 pounds and you see your "normal" acquaintances, they don't notice and then when you lose another 5, that makes 10 and its just the same old you again and they don't notice. *sigh* but it also doesn't help being in a small town. I guess this could go for some that live near family members too. can you relate?
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goldilocksbecky
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Why are you so focused on whether other people notice or not?  Don't waste your life seeking affirmation and approval from others.  Learn to be happy with yourself and your accomplishments because YOU know that you did a great job . . YOU know that you worked hard . . .YOU know that you've made progress.  Focusing on SELF-worth, SELF-confidence and SELF-affirmation is an important step to success in not only weight loss, but I life.  Do this for yourself and be proud of yourself for doing it!  Give yourself the credit and affirmation that you are seeking and deserve and stop seeking it from others.  Good luck! :)

sillymumof2
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Can't agree more. I would love to shelter myself and loose like 40 lbs n then see everyone again haha!

Quoting americansugar80:

so i'm not sure if that's really the correct title to my thoughts here but what i'm trying to say is that I gained a lot of weight during the winter months and i'm trying really hard with better decisions and all to lose it all and I just would like to stay home and hope it sheds off so by the time I walk into a bar or some place, they'll be like "holy moly!!" but its kind of impossible to do that, its a little irritating too I guess you could say because by the time you lose 5 pounds and you see your "normal" acquaintances, they don't notice and then when you lose another 5, that makes 10 and its just the same old you again and they don't notice.

*sigh* but it also doesn't help being in a small town. I guess this could go for some that live near family members too.

can you relate?

ZakTuffMavsMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I understand. I have a monthly poker game I play and I actually didn't go the last 2 months because I have gained back weight I had lost. Since these people see me monthly, they saw big changes for a year and would praise me and tell me how wonderful I looked everytime I saw them. I always got so excited to see their reactions because when you see yourself every day, and your close family and friends see you every day, you don't get shocked reactions like that. I have since lost a little bit of that weight I had put back on, but I have 1 more week til the monthly and I'm not sure if I'm going to go or wait til next month. I don't want to go and them all see I failed myself
Sweetest_Britt
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Im totally doing this at my Orthodontists office...haha. I got braces early April, and by the time I went back there 7 weeks later, I'd lost a shit ton of weight. 

The lady there goes..."did you do something different with your hair?? you look totally different". I had to bust out the Before and Afters for her.....hahaha It'll be another 7 weeks and Im hoping to be a bombshell by then ;)

zombieskayer
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Don't go out seeking them to notice or you'll just fail in the end. I've lost 6 pounds in the past 2 weeks, which to me isn't alot and my family could careless. But the people I see almost everyday at work when they come in and out said they noticed and they didn't even know I had been working out. 

Dreamly
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I dont see my mom often. I lost 80 pounds and she didnt notice because I was still over weight. Now that I have pp weight to lose my mom noticed then as Im still 30 pounds less than when I started losing before pregnancy. So sometimes it doesnt matter if you dont see someone for a while.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It took a LOOOONG time for people I see every day to notice.  It's definitely nice when people notice, but I try not to focus on that for validation.  I did enjoy when my driver's license was rejected recently.  I look VERY different now, after losing over 100 lbs!  I'm hoping to hit my ultimate goal by March 2014, when it expires and I have to get a new one!  DH already said I need a new passport.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

sumtermom3
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I've went from 230 to 189 since March and my dad and stepmom have not noticed( said anything). Of all people I want them to say something.. anything!! But that's a whole another post. It feels great when people noticed our hard work!!
ms-superwoman
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I get how you feel. I bust out before and after pics! Lol

Erica_Smerica
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM
3 moms liked this

To me it seems scary when they don't reject your driver's license! 

OP I agree with you, people's reactions are a fun way to motivate you to keep going. One of my favorite stories while losing weight was when one of my friends thought my husband was openly cheating on me. We were at our community garden plot and we saw them, said hello-- they didn't say much. I told my husband that I thought they didn't recognize us.

The next day I saw her and asked her about it. She replied that it wasn't until after we'd left that they realized who I was. In the meantime, she had been telling her husband how rude it was that Reuben (my husband) was openly cheating on me. Made my month =) 

Quoting musicpisces:

It took a LOOOONG time for people I see every day to notice.  It's definitely nice when people notice, but I try not to focus on that for validation.  I did enjoy when my driver's license was rejected recently.  I look VERY different now, after losing over 100 lbs!  I'm hoping to hit my ultimate goal by March 2014, when it expires and I have to get a new one!  DH already said I need a new passport.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)