Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Stretch Marks Are a Stark Reminder of Where I Was 70 Pounds Ago

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 13 Replies

My Stretch Marks Are a Stark Reminder of Where I Was 70 Pounds Ago

by Emily Abbate

stretch marksEveryone has their insecurities. For some, maybe it's chubby arms or an eyebrow that's a little thinner than the other. For others, it could be self-proclaimed thunder thighs or a toe that's longer than the rest of 'em. For me, mine are my stretch marks.

I shudder just saying those words. They're something no one talks about. Seriously, when was the last time your girlfriend called you on a Tuesday night to chat about her torn dermis? Exactly. But I have them. And no offense, but I bet you have one or two, too. Mine tell a story. A story that involved a lot of tears, hard work, zillions of miles of running, and an ultimate loss of 70 pounds.

I lost 70 pounds. That's not what I think about when I look at the straggly stretch marks on my sides, though. I think how ugly they are. I wish they weren't there. I wonder if other people notice them, if my ex-boyfriend ever thought they were disgusting, and then I feel self-conscious.

It's hard. It's hard because I'm skinnier now. A woman of my size and shape shouldn't have these marks on her sides. It's hard because I can finally now say that when I look in the mirror, I don't see that larger version of myself anymore. It took me a long time to get to that point. But still, I see those marks, and then I remember her. I remember how she felt being trapped in that body with those same marks.

The reality? I know I'm probably the only person who pays any attention to them. I know that at the end of the day, it's better to have these and be where I am today than to not have them and be back where I was seven years ago. I know all I can do is try my damnedest to embrace my body for what it's become. These marks, they're a part of me. And just like the rest of me, I've gotta learn how to embrace 'em in whatever way I can.

Do you struggle with stretch marks? Can you relate?

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Bravo for losing 70 lbs!   That's quite an accomplishment! 

I think dealing with stretch marks is difficult for some women. 

I've had 5 kids, and 3 of them were pretty large for a woman of my size.  I've got hundreds of stretch marks, and they don't really bother me.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I have my share of stretch marks, few of which are from pregnancy.  The pregnancy ones don't bother me, because I earned those in a good way, as I see it, but the weight-related ones I'm not loving.  That said, I don't let them slow me down, and I don't stress over keeping them covered.  They're there.  That's the way it is.  I will still rock a bikini this summer.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mandaboo99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

have had 3 beautiful babies...80 Lbs lost more stretchmarks than I can even begin to count from my last pregnancy but I earned EVERY ONE OF THEM. our stretch marks our scars our tattoos every fat deposit that just wont go away, though others may not understand WE know, they tell our story, we would not be who we are today without them :) I sound all sunshine and rainbows, believe me, I have my days where I could cry over my saggy skin and stretch marks and then I remember the three days of labour it took to bring my stubborn daughter into this world and these Marks are part of my story with her, believe me Ill never let her forget that it took three days lol.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
My stretch marks don't bother me. Cellulite bothers me a bit ;)
rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Mine bother me. I've always had a pretty nice tummy. My tummy is looking much better and toned now since I had the baby, I feel a little better about myself, I feel like my body looks okay and then I see this mess of purple stretch marks right on the front of it and it makes me feel like my progress doesn't matter. I realize that's pessimistic, but I just can't help it. 

CrazedMomof2
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
It use to both me. I still wore a two piece but constantly thought I looked awful.

Until a couple of months ago. My 10 year old daughter asked what they were from. I explained. She said the looked like flames and were kinda cool. I agreed with her. If anyone, I want to be a role model for her. So, I no longer care or comment about them. If people don't like them too bad. I have 3 kids and I earned my flames! Hahaha
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Flames!  Haha, I love it!  Great encounter/teaching moment with your daughter!  =)

We have to take pride in these amazing bodies we have, and in what they're capable of!  It STILL amazes me we can grow a whole person in there!

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

It use to both me. I still wore a two piece but constantly thought I looked awful.

Until a couple of months ago. My 10 year old daughter asked what they were from. I explained. She said the looked like flames and were kinda cool. I agreed with her. If anyone, I want to be a role model for her. So, I no longer care or comment about them. If people don't like them too bad. I have 3 kids and I earned my flames! Hahaha

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

haileys_mommy06
by Jenn on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Same here. Stretch marks I can deal with, cellulite.... Not so much :/

Quoting Stefanie83:

My stretch marks don't bother me. Cellulite bothers me a bit ;)
AMDS0304
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
I got my stretch marks while pregnant with my 1st child. I use to be so self conscious of them that I didn't even want dh seeing me naked. Now I don't care it's a part of me. It just doesn't bother me anymore.
CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I got my stretchmarks as the weight piled on while I was pregnant, so although I will never wear a bikini because of them (my whole belly is basically just 1 big stretchmark), I dont hate them because my body did a wonderful thing in giving me my children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)