Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

My Stretch Marks Are a Stark Reminder of Where I Was 70 Pounds Ago

My Stretch Marks Are a Stark Reminder of Where I Was 70 Pounds Ago

by Emily Abbate

stretch marksEveryone has their insecurities. For some, maybe it's chubby arms or an eyebrow that's a little thinner than the other. For others, it could be self-proclaimed thunder thighs or a toe that's longer than the rest of 'em. For me, mine are my stretch marks.

I shudder just saying those words. They're something no one talks about. Seriously, when was the last time your girlfriend called you on a Tuesday night to chat about her torn dermis? Exactly. But I have them. And no offense, but I bet you have one or two, too. Mine tell a story. A story that involved a lot of tears, hard work, zillions of miles of running, and an ultimate loss of 70 pounds.

I lost 70 pounds. That's not what I think about when I look at the straggly stretch marks on my sides, though. I think how ugly they are. I wish they weren't there. I wonder if other people notice them, if my ex-boyfriend ever thought they were disgusting, and then I feel self-conscious.

It's hard. It's hard because I'm skinnier now. A woman of my size and shape shouldn't have these marks on her sides. It's hard because I can finally now say that when I look in the mirror, I don't see that larger version of myself anymore. It took me a long time to get to that point. But still, I see those marks, and then I remember her. I remember how she felt being trapped in that body with those same marks.

The reality? I know I'm probably the only person who pays any attention to them. I know that at the end of the day, it's better to have these and be where I am today than to not have them and be back where I was seven years ago. I know all I can do is try my damnedest to embrace my body for what it's become. These marks, they're a part of me. And just like the rest of me, I've gotta learn how to embrace 'em in whatever way I can.

Do you struggle with stretch marks? Can you relate?

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (11-13):
armywife2408
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I understand your problem 100%. With my first daughter I gained 100lbs, and 1000 stretch marks. I lost the weight after a year but the stretch marks stayed. I was also a single mom at that time and thought I'd never be able to find a man who would accept not only the fact I had a daughter but also a stomach that looked like it was attacked by a bear. I did however find a wonderful man who is now my husband and he is a big reason I started feel comfortable with how I look. He was happy with my body, which in time made me happy with it. Now I just had my second child 6 weeks ago and back on the weight loss train. This time I only had 45 to loose and have lost 32. And my husbands support is wonderful...however summer sucks because I would love to look good in a bikini again, and it's the one time I really hate my stretch marks.

a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I had some stretch marks on my inner thighs when I was younger. But nothing you could really see. After I got pregnant with my first they went on the nice meeting place of my thighs and butt (inner most side. THAT area.) And I have a "belt" as my OB/GYN would call it. I wear it with pride. I have carried two beautiful babies. And I have earned every one of them. They look better now after 5 years. Its my surgical scars that bother me more. One looks like a burn. :( But I have earned my "stripes" :)
Rere127
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I know how you feel, it makes you feel like you can't really see you because your body is marked up. I try to ignore the negative things I feel about them, but I can't. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)