Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

100+ Club- How Did You Do It?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM
  • 14 Replies
6 moms liked this

I see we have some new members who are part of the 100+ club!  I know we have other members who are trying to lose significant amounts of weight, so I wanted to start a thread for those looking for motivation and for those who wanted to ask questions of those who have lost large amounts of weight.  Please feel free to post below, and include as much as you can/like about your journey (friendly reminder- NO advertising) and what's been working for you.  (Feel free to join in if you've lost close to that amount!)

treadmilljumping ropedumbbellskiing

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM
6 moms liked this

I will start!  I started my journey around Feb 2010 at 269 lbs, and I started out eating clean.  I took that summer off (because I was taking a very intense summer course then we had a vacation abroad), and I got back to it when we got home.  In September, I started running (I was about 250 lbs at that point).  It was slow and painful and I hated it, but it was HAPPENING.  I'd also been doing other activities (biking to school, going to the gym some), but running was my main activity.  I also did the 30 Day Shred after my runs.

I did my first 5K in Feb 2011, and I was about 220 at that point.  6 months later, I'd built up to a half!  I was 204 when I did the half (was bummed I hadn't gotten below 200 yet like I'd hoped, but I was happy with my progress).  3 weeks later, I did a duathlon.

In March 2012, I had my first triathlon, another half marathon, and my first marathon on the summer calendar when I fell on a trail run and tore open my knee, damaging my patellar tendon.  I couldn't run for two months, and it took me a good week to be able to walk.  After stewing in my own self-pity for a few days (yes, I did!), I focused on adjusting my food intake and exercised the best I could (though NOTHING would get my heart rate up).  I still managed to lose, even though I could barely work out (so no excuses!!).  I couldn't swim, because of the open gash (it had been sutured in the ER, but needed to heal), I couldn't run, and biking hurt after a few minutes.  Fortunately, around that time, Groupon had a gym membership at a local gym for 2 months, and the gym was on my way to work.  PERFECT.  I bought that, and got my butt in there.  I found that the elliptical wasn't awful on my knee, as much as I HATE the elliptical, and I did that and lifted weights (avoiding anything that aggrevated my knee).  I made it work!  Slowly I was able to walk on the treadmill, and eventually I could run for a minute here and there!  I HAD to take it easy, because the MRI showed a tear in the tendon, and I didn't want it to get any worse.  It took two months for me to get back to running at all, but eventually I did.

I finally hit the 100 lb mark in May 2012.  I celebrated with a bucket-list run along Crissy Field in San Francisco.  I hit my initial goal August 1, 2012, which was 160.  I wanted to hit it before I started nursing school, and I succeeded in that.  I got down to 156 before the stress of school set in, and I did gain back a few, which I am losing again.  My ultimate goal is 134, half of my original weight, although the longer I'm at this, the softer that goal is.  My goals are more fitness-related now, and about shedding the fat that's covering my muscle definition.  I have no idea what weight will look right on me, because I have a pretty muscular frame, and I have no desire to be a size 0 or any kind of waif.  But I would love to have a toned belly (if my skin will allow!) and toned arms, legs and back.

Yes, my journey has been slow, because I haven't generally been super strict with my food, except in the very beginning.  I'm going back to cutting out the refined carbs and sugar now, because when they were gone, I didn't miss them at all.  I'm also tracking my food at the moment (which I've done perdiodically) to keep myself in line.

A lot of people ask about loose skin, and yes, I have some, but it's not awful, and I have been wearing a bikini (in public!) this summer, which I have NEVER done before.  My arms, thighs and belly have some loose skin, but it's not as bad as people who lose weight rapidly, and it's been shrinking back noticably with time, a clean diet and strength training.

I have a few journals about weight loss and my own journey that I'll link below.

Clean eating

What's been working for me

General weight loss tips

Resources

Feel free to ask any questions!  =)

ETA: I meant to include pics!

Suzanne

Dreamly
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I started November 2011. I weighed 290 pounds. I started working nights as a correctional officer which is a physically demanding job as have to run up and down hallways and up and down stairs literally all night long. In 8.5 hours we are lucky to get a 15 min break.

I started body by vi and lost 80 pounds. I also snacked a lot, and very rarely had a sit down meal. But, it worked for me at the time. Then I found out I was finally pregnant after ttc 8 years for number 2 (7 with exh and 3 months with current). I had to leave my job 3 months into my pregnancy, and got lazy. I gained exactly 50 pounds. At 8 weeks pp, Ive only managed to lose 15ish pounds. I haven't been trying though to be honest.

With the baby weight, I need to lose 114 to get to goal. I was 249 this morning, and want to be 135. I am redoing my entire diet because I also BF and we found out that baby has a milk allergy, and cannot tollerate it when i drink anything with caffeine in it. So, lean means, fresh fruits and veggies, and some pasta here and there since I cannot completely give that up.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Great job you 2!!! I'll reply tomorrow, even though I'm not officially a member ;)
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM

My son had issues with dairy while I was BFing, too.  Good luck with your journey!!

Quoting Dreamly:

I started November 2011. I weighed 290 pounds. I started working nights as a correctional officer which is a physically demanding job as have to run up and down hallways and up and down stairs literally all night long. In 8.5 hours we are lucky to get a 15 min break.

I started body by vi and lost 80 pounds. I also snacked a lot, and very rarely had a sit down meal. But, it worked for me at the time. Then I found out I was finally pregnant after ttc 8 years for number 2 (7 with exh and 3 months with current). I had to leave my job 3 months into my pregnancy, and got lazy. I gained exactly 50 pounds. At 8 weeks pp, Ive only managed to lose 15ish pounds. I haven't been trying though to be honest.

With the baby weight, I need to lose 114 to get to goal. I was 249 this morning, and want to be 135. I am redoing my entire diet because I also BF and we found out that baby has a milk allergy, and cannot tollerate it when i drink anything with caffeine in it. So, lean means, fresh fruits and veggies, and some pasta here and there since I cannot completely give that up.

Suzanne

Vintagefan
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Thank you for these stories! They are inspirational! 

ashley9603
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I started my weight loss journey a few years ago.I successfully lost 100 pounds.I was at 230 and got down to 130 pounds.I did it through clean eating,running and lifting.Staying motivated was easy.I was always wanting to reach the next goal and enhance my workouts or just get better at them.Then I got pregnant with my twins and gained 70 back lol....after they were born I was back at it.I started my workout program.(I was unable to workout at all due to me being high risk)anyways I lost my weight by the time my boys turned one year old.Its all about finding your weight loss groove so to speak lol...finding foods that you like and the ones that are healthy for you.Also finding a workout that is enjoyable.

rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I'm not in the 100+ club by any means. I'm just really impressed and inspired by the motivation you guys have. OP you look stunning!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Thank you!  I'm just glad I'm losing again! 

Quoting rfhsure:

I'm not in the 100+ club by any means. I'm just really impressed and inspired by the motivation you guys have. OP you look stunning!

Suzanne

rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

not just losing....totally winning!

Quoting musicpisces:

Thank you!  I'm just glad I'm losing again! 

Quoting rfhsure:

iwannalose10
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:01 AM

awesome posts here,i am motivated,my last 10 pounds is taking forever:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)