Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

screw it.

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

Im changin up my workout routine. I want to lose the layer of fat over my belly. people keep saying cardio, cardio, cardio! Well I was doing a 30 min. ab workout to tone up the muscles, and 30 to 60 mins of cardio to burn the fat. Well, cardio is boring. i hate doing it. I hate all the workouts. So damnit, I'm quitting. I am replacing my normal cardio workout with an hour of  ridiculous dance. no specific style, or moves. Just an hour of flailing around like a fully clothed stripper on crack. I feel tired, sweaty, my heart rate's going, and I have the added bonus of entertaining my 4 month old for an hour.  Excercise is excercise, right?

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

That's perfectly acceptable!  Nothing says you have to do a specific routine, video, sport, etc.  There are TONS of forms of cardio out there, but if dancing around gets your heart rate up and appeals to you, go for it!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

sorry but I had to LOL  at the image in my mind. Im trying to find some dance routine DVDs to add to my collection too :)

rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I don't have youtube, otherwise I'd post a video. I figure the more flailing, the more of a workout it is.

Quoting CrossStitchMum:

sorry but I had to LOL  at the image in my mind. Im trying to find some dance routine DVDs to add to my collection too :)

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I'm not sure who told you cardio will ditch the belly, but they were incorrect. The ONLY thing that will get rid of belly fat is your diet. You have to eat very cleanly. By eating very cleanly, doing some form of cardio ( dancing is cardio), strength training 2-3x per week, and flexibility training 2-3x per week, you will end up losing the belly fat. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

that's what I'm doing. I've always felt like diet is a given to excercise. People recommend cardio because it burns calories, that's the whole point. I do ab excercises daily and an hour of cardio accompanied with my diet.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I'm not sure who told you cardio will ditch the belly, but they were incorrect. The ONLY thing that will get rid of belly fat is your diet. You have to eat very cleanly. By eating very cleanly, doing some form of cardio ( dancing is cardio), strength training 2-3x per week, and flexibility training 2-3x per week, you will end up losing the belly fat. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rfhsure:

that's what I'm doing. I've always felt like diet is a given to excercise. People recommend cardio because it burns calories, that's the whole point. I do ab excercises daily and an hour of cardio accompanied with my diet.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Everything burns calories though...cardio burns calories, yes, but you need strength training well as flexibility training. My point was that ab workouts are not going to reduce fat in the belly....the most important thing is eating cleanly. Also, do not do ab workouts daily. It is counter productive. Abs are a major muscle group and they should not be worked daily. The rectus abdominus and obliques need rest and by working them daily, you are not allowing the microtears you are putting in them time to repair and rebuild, which is why they should only be worked 2-3x per week. 

You have to find whatever cardio works best for you. If flailing works, do it! :-) 

Personally, I'm a runner, but I also pull weights and do Yoga/flexibility workouts. The best thing is to find something that you enjoy and it is also the hardest thing about working out for many people. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)