Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to lose some weight

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 9 Replies

Decided I am going to lose some weight :)

I started walking more on Friday and Sunday started eating better and doing sit ups and push ups.

Anyone have any ideas for me? I have two kids attached to me all day, 8 months and 3 years. I have just been putting them in the stroller and walking more than we already do.

I am 5'6 and weight is 170. I would like to lose 20-30 pounds, I would love to lose it in the next few months :), may be dreaming on that one though.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Noni2319
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I would count calories or do weight watchers to track food. There are a few free websites/apps that you can use to track calories. You can have your bmr cal cited to determine your calories. One of the ladies here can calculate it for you if you like. They would need your age, height, weight, workouts and whether or not you breast feed.

Walking is great exercise. There are also lots of videos available that you can do at home. If the little ones don't nap they might be happy just playing near you and watching. That what mine did when they were that age.
Javi05Eli07
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I do at-home workouts like P90X, Insanity, TurboFire, and tried 30 Day Shred.  When our 2 year old was a baby we put him in a bouncer seat, a pack n play, or activity center while we did our workouts.  Our 3 and 4 year old would play in the playroom or try to join us.

It is still the same with our 6 and 7 year olds, but now our 2 year old also joins in.  It may take a few times forthem to get used to you working out, but making it a family thing can make it fun for them too.

It may be hard to lose that amount of weight in the next few months, but if you workout and eat healthy you can get a good start on losing it.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Welcome!

Sounds like you're off to a good start!  I agree that we can help with the calculations.  We just need your age and whether or not you're breastfeeding (everything else is in your post).

Adding in more strength training is great.  If you're able to buy hand weights, that'll open you up to more options, but if not, that's okay.  I actually love working out in my yard or going to the park (I'll sometimes do it while DS plays, or he'll do it with me!  He's 4).  I'll do walking lunges, sprints, jumping jacks, pretend to jump rope (I need to buy one), do burpees, mountain climbers, planks, and push ups without any weight.  I bought a kettlebell that I use for squats, dead lifts, upright rows, tricep extensions, bicep curls, reverse crunches (I lay on my back, and use the bell to anchor myself to the ground behind my head), and KB swings.  I also have a tractor tire we got from a friend that I flip up and down the driveway.  I also put my feet on it to do push ups, and put one leg on it to do split squats.  I get creative!  =)

Check out this link to sparkpeople.com.  They have some great exercise demos, and plenty of them can be done at home.  You can also check out their channel on YouTube, because they have exercise videos (there are TONS on YouTube).  The library is another good resource for that.  If you want to buy some, many of us like Jillian Michaels, and her DVDs run about $10.  Some people also like Bob Harper, The Biggest Loser, and Leslie Sansone (just from what I've seen in here).  If you have a bigger budget, BeachBody offers a bunch of DVD systems.

What and how you eat is 80% of the battle, so I would actually start with that above anything else.  Plus, you can get your little ones eating healthy, too!  It sounds like you're already making changes in that area, which is great!  I'm a big fan of eating clean, and I have a journal with a breakdown of what that means (click here).  I have a couple of other journals, too: weight loss tips and what's been working for me.

Take from them what you will.  What speaks to each of us is different, but the basics remain the same- eat a balanced diet with few processed foods, drink plenty of water, get in a variety of cardio (mixing it up can be fun!), and strength train your whole body.  Oh, and stay away from any gimmicky products!  =)

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

soon2bmomof2grs
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Thank you for all the support! We had to go pick up OD's Pottery Place tile so we took the bus down and walked to see their dad a few blocks away before walking home. I had my double stroller so they got to ride while I walked. When I cam back and used yahoo's map to see how far we had walked I felt awesome that it was 5.22 miles. Thought we did pretty good walking it in less than an hour and stopping at a gas station to get drinks. :)

soon2bmomof2grs
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Oh my age is 25, 26 in Aug.I know it is over 25. I have looked it up on the computer before, but it would be nice to know how many calories a day I should have.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

BMR: 1587

1587 x 1.375 = 2182

2182 - 500 = 1682

To lose 1+ lbs per week, consume 1587-1682 calories per day.

That should give you a good starting point!  If you start exercising more and/or you lose 5-10 lbs, just create a post with the current info, and we can redo it for you.  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM

These ladies have some great advice...welcome and good luck!

azn_ladie82
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

You've gotten some great advice :-) Myfitnesspal is also a free calorie counter site. I'm on there :-)

wahmx3
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Walking is great...pushing 2 kids is both a strength and cardio workout....walk faster every few days and increase your time out there as you get in better shape. Count calories as it is important to eat enough....I love MyFitnessPal.com to take care of that. Drink lots of water every day. Set realistic goals....you can lose the 20-30 pounds by end of the year if you stay focused on your goal....reward yourself for accomplishments along the way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)