Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Bridezilla Tries to Dictate What Guests Eat for 21 Days Before Her Wedding

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 1 Replies

Bridezilla Tries to Dictate What Guests Eat for 21 Days Before Her Wedding

by Maressa Brown

green juiceLike the expression "it is what it is," the term "bridezilla" gets thrown around way too often. But there are cases when it is completely, utterly appropriate. Like in the case of one Rainbeau Mars, who is reportedly a "health guru" to the stars ...

Rainbeau is marrying Hollywood business manager Michael Karlin, and according to Mars' publicist, wedding guests (like Melissa and Joan Rivers and model Josie Maran) will enjoy "unique activities ranging from breath work classes to yoga and horseback riding" during the "three-day summer affair on the island paradise of Kauai." Thus, in preparation for her Big Day Days, Rainbeau has requested that all of her attendees cleanse with a "vegan, and subsequently live food diet for 21 days," so that "everyone will look and feel their best for HER big day." She has to be kidding, right?

When guests are dropping an average of $539 for every wedding they attend -- and may have multiple weddings a season! -- you should just be happy that they even freakin' showed up. So, to then go way beyond what's reasonable and customary to ask them to go vegan and spend mucho bucks on a "live food diet" for almost a month? Wow ... just ... wow.

But, all right, maybe for most of her guests, money is no object. Still, cashola aside, why on earth does this woman think everyone attending her wedding wants to or should (medically!) try the cleanse that clearly makes her look and feel HER best? How presumptuous to assume that it should also make everyone else look and feel their best. As a health guru -- and the daughter of an Ayurvedic naturopathic physician (yeah, I read her website bio) -- she should know better. She should know not everyone fares the same on a specific diet. 

As a bride-to-be, I offered some wellness advice to guests and my bridal party who were working on their fitness before being Miami Beach-bound for my wedding. But it was never unsolicited and never much more than maybe some motivating words on avoiding processed foods and doing this or that weight training circuit. I also would never assume that something working for me would necessarily work for someone else ...

Before my wedding, my mom kept up the 90 percent vegan regimen that has helped her feel much more energetic and lose weight. My sister practiced hara hachi bu, the Buddhist rule of eating until you're 80 percent full. I found that I could fuel my hardcore workouts and keep my blood sugar stable and weight in check by focusing on whole foods, including organic meat and sprouted grains, while limiting sugar. And more power to us and anyone who does what works for them -- not the latest fad diet or what their "health guru" on-her-high-horse friend thinks is best.

Sounds to me like someone needs to shake and remind this Rainbeau chick that, as a bride, you definitely get to dictate what your loved ones eat ... for ONE meal. (Okay, two if you count cocktail hour.) Not three weeks' worth of meals. That's just not right.

How do you feel about brides making requests like this?

What healthy eating regimen works best for you?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Yikes! I can't believe she expects everyone to do a cleanse before her wedding.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)