Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Hi ladies, I'm new!

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm one month PP and am starting a slow weight loss plan this week. My problem is, I've never been in the position to have to lose weight, so I'm clueless.

I need to know what's healthy to eat, if calorie counting is worth it, and what types of exercises are good for post csection :-/

I'm 5'4 and 161 lbs right now.... The heaviest I have ever been! I've always been about 115-125 until I had my 3rd (4 weeks ago)

So please, help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boxerfever
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Hey! First of all congratulations! I'm not sure about post csection but once your healed I'd try the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Until your ready for that I would start with walking - eat an access bar 15 minutes before each workout it burns the fat off first and they taste really good :) Good Luck! You'll be back to your old self before you know it :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  Congratulations on your new little one!

I had a c-section, too, and I started walking (GENTLY!) a couple of weeks post-partum, and waited to actually work out until the doctor had cleared me.

You can start now with how you eat, though!  Are you breastfeeding?  I'm a big fan of eating clean (I have a journal with the basics here), and it's 100% safe if you are.  It's important to eat enough calories (always tough finding that balance), and counting your calories can really be helpful, even if you only do it periodically.  If you'd like, we can calculate your calories needs based on your BMR.  We'll just need your age and whether or not you're breastfeeding (everything else is in your post).  We can redo it for you when you start working out, and it's good to redo every 5-10 lbs.

I had a c-section, too.  My stomach doesn't look great, but I was also over 100 lbs heavier than you are now.  I'm really hoping my skin goes back.  If nothing else, I shouldn't be getting stretch marks next time I'm pregnant!  LOL

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jesusfreak769
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM

CONGRATS!!!!  Not sure of post c-section.  Make sure first off you have doctors clearance.  I would walk alot for now!!  Maybe if its taking the baby in a stroller walk.  I pray that you have good luck!!

hugs

goddiddlyumshis
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Oh I'm breast feeding !!!!! That's always helped me lose weight fast ;)
I'm 27, btw :)

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome to the group!  Congratulations on your new little one!

I had a c-section, too, and I started walking (GENTLY!) a couple of weeks post-partum, and waited to actually work out until the doctor had cleared me.

You can start now with how you eat, though!  Are you breastfeeding?  I'm a big fan of eating clean (I have a journal with the basics here), and it's 100% safe if you are.  It's important to eat enough calories (always tough finding that balance), and counting your calories can really be helpful, even if you only do it periodically.  If you'd like, we can calculate your calories needs based on your BMR.  We'll just need your age and whether or not you're breastfeeding (everything else is in your post).  We can redo it for you when you start working out, and it's good to redo every 5-10 lbs.

I had a c-section, too.  My stomach doesn't look great, but I was also over 100 lbs heavier than you are now.  I'm really hoping my skin goes back.  If nothing else, I shouldn't be getting stretch marks next time I'm pregnant!  LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

BMR: 1529+500( BFing)=2029

This is the least amount of calories you should consume while breastfeeding....

I will throw in another calculation for gentle walking: 2029*1.375=2789

To lose 1 lb per week: 2789-500=2289

Your ideal range while BFing and working out ( walking gently 1-3 days per week) is 2029-2289 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

Right now, I would just walk gently and wait for your physician to clear you. Concentrating on eating cleanly for right now. Suz gave you some great info with her journal post. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mandaboo99
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Hi!! welcome!! 1 month post section is too soon for anything too much, you need to wait till your dr says its ok (Im sure you already knew that anyway :) ) I had a Lady In one of my challenge groups at 8 weeks post section and the only thing that bothered her was the crunches so she modified. Its each individual for healing time and for program works :) Calorie counting does work, in the sence that when you work out you need to make sure you are eating enough and enough on the right stuff :) % meals a day and if your breastfeeding account for that as well, you are not eating for two but you do need enough calories to fuel your body.  Start SLOW and make sure you dont over do it :D I was 195, 8 months pp after my 3rd and got back down to 115, you can do it!!!! message me any time!!

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

I'm one month PP and am starting a slow weight loss plan this week. My problem is, I've never been in the position to have to lose weight, so I'm clueless.

I need to know what's healthy to eat, if calorie counting is worth it, and what types of exercises are good for post csection :-/

I'm 5'4 and 161 lbs right now.... The heaviest I have ever been! I've always been about 115-125 until I had my 3rd (4 weeks ago)

So please, help!

goddiddlyumshis
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Oh I wouldn't do anything until I was cleared because I busted myself open twice since having my son lol.
Pushed myself too much with our 5tr old and 16mo lol.

I go the 28th for my 6wk. So I'm hoping she'll say I can resume light/medium activity. I'm going nuts feeling like a blob.

Can someone in here help me with a plan? I'm clueless on where to start!

Quoting mandaboo99:

Hi!! welcome!! 1 month post section is too soon for anything too much, you need to wait till your dr says its ok (Im sure you already knew that anyway :) ) I had a Lady In one of my challenge groups at 8 weeks post section and the only thing that bothered her was the crunches so she modified. Its each individual for healing time and for program works :) Calorie counting does work, in the sence that when you work out you need to make sure you are eating enough and enough on the right stuff :) % meals a day and if your breastfeeding account for that as well, you are not eating for two but you do need enough calories to fuel your body.  Start SLOW and make sure you dont over do it :D I was 195, 8 months pp after my 3rd and got back down to 115, you can do it!!!! message me any time!!

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

So please, help!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandaMommyof2
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Welcome and good luck wave

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I would start with your food (here's the link to that journal), cleaning up your food choices, and working on proper portion sizes.  Start logging your food, aiming for the calorie range Claire calculated for you.  For now, just focus on that part. 

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

Oh I wouldn't do anything until I was cleared because I busted myself open twice since having my son lol.

I go the 28th for my 6wk. So I'm hoping she'll say I can resume light/medium activity. I'm going nuts feeling like a blob.

Quoting mandaboo99:

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

So please, help!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

wahmx3
by Shelley on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I would do exactly this and be sure to drink lots of water. Enjoy some nice walks with your family but don't worry about the speed yet.

Quoting musicpisces:

I would start with your food (here's the link to that journal), cleaning up your food choices, and working on proper portion sizes.  Start logging your food, aiming for the calorie range Claire calculated for you.  For now, just focus on that part. 

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

Quoting mandaboo99:

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

So please, help!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN