Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Soda/Caffeine

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 25 Replies
Currently, I drink 2 Coke Zeros a day as well as 1-2 Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Peppers (a day).

I'm trying to cut back and not have any sodas a day.

I'm curious to know if that will make a difference in anything - both physically and mentally. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

I plan on weening myself off the caffeine and starting today I actually only had 1 Coke Zero (and no Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Peppers). I do get headaches if I don't have caffeine which is why I am weening myself.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akmaldo
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Well physically it will help with weight loss a lot since they're so bad for you, but you will get headaches from not having all that sugar. It's great that you're wanting to get off of them! :D I would replace them with water or green tea.
mamashley
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM

The diet sodas have aspartame which is often debated if it is healthier or not than sugar, or if it causes other health problems. If you search aspartame risks you get some good food for thought (just remember that aspartame was developed by a company that donates lots of money to researchers).

All in all, soda has 0 nutritional benefits. Even tea (hot in the winter, iced in the summer) is better. And water is the best.

I have quit drinking diet soda all together. I find that I crave sweets less often and snack less. Whether it's a side effect of being full from the water or because I am not dehydrated (from the caffiene), it's helping me. :-)

melner18
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Thanks for the information ladies! We shall see how my detox goes and what results I experience.

Thanks again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silvertears1275
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I actually feel more energetic since cutting way back on the caffeine.  I used to drink 2 cups of coffee and several sodas every day.  Now I drink one cup of coffee, some days none at all.  I don't need it to wake up.  If I happen to drink more caffeine, I'm wired for hours, but before when I drank it all day, I could drink a cup of coffee before bed without a problem.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Good luck Melissa!

she-ra2000
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I usually have a cup of coffee in the a.m..I stopped using the sweeteners too, and got back on reg.sugar. I wasn't losing anything w/swtnrs either and I was worried about the effects. Sometimes I'll have anothe cup at night, and still go right to sleep. I cut way back on the sodas, I rarely drink one. Mostly it's water,kool-aid,or juice,plus the fruit/protein drink from the grocery store isle near the oj.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

One issue with even diet soda (aside from the articifial sweeteners, acid, and coloring, which can be harmful) is that sweet flavors on the tongue stimulate insulin release.  When there's no sugar release, you tend to crave carbs to balance your blood sugar again.  It can also desensitizes you to sweet flavors.  As you get used to not having the soda, you may find that it takes less sugar to satisfy a craving, or that some foods are suddenly too sweet.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

melner18
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Interesting. I definitely find myself in general needing lots of sugar (and salt) to taste the sweetness (or saltiness) of things.

I'm excited to see the effect this will have! It's like a little experiment!!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

One issue with even diet soda (aside from the articifial sweeteners, acid, and coloring, which can be harmful) is that sweet flavors on the tongue stimulate insulin release.  When there's no sugar release, you tend to crave carbs to balance your blood sugar again.  It can also desensitizes you to sweet flavors.  As you get used to not having the soda, you may find that it takes less sugar to satisfy a craving, or that some foods are suddenly too sweet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ripemango
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM

well there is the whole thing they don't contribute to you beneficially in any way. i do think having tea, then going to green tea is an easy way to taper off caffeine. I like truvia in my tea, btw.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

melner18
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I am not a fan of tea (at all) so that won't "work". I do like some of the water flavor things you squirt in water.

As for the caffeine withdrawal, I think I can do it.

I know the soda has no nutritional benefit, but I do sometimes enjoy the Coke Zero so I might elimate all the soda except one of those a day - or I might cut it out too.

I don't like coffee so really the Coke Zero would be my only non-water beverage of the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN