Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Diet Problems -- Please help!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 20 Replies
I have some limitations to my diet. I can't eat any dairy or any meat that comes from an animal that produces milk. That means no beef or pork. I'm allergic to the protein casein. (There is much less in pork than beef, but it still makes me sick) I do eat some of the soy\rice\almond products. But for the most part I just avoid it. So when it comes to dieting, I have trouble finding recipes with healthy alternatives. I eat salads, but I dislike salad dressings so they get boring quickly (although no cheese and no dressing makes them super healthy). I can only come up with so many ways to prepare chicken, without an abundance of rice, pasta or potatoes. And my family doesn't eat fish, so I don't have any idea how to cook it. Any recipes without dairy or with chicken or fish would be greatly appreciated.
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Instead of salad dressing I dress mine with pomegranate seeds, mandarin oranges, strawberries or blueberries.

Quinoa is an excellent protein and cures my carb craving. I also peruse Pinterest for vegan recipes. I eat gluten free. Sweet potato fries are amazing! (I season mine with cinnamon or allspice).
mckinneymom918
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I love skinnytaste.com. Tons of yummy easy fresh chicken recipes. A personal favorite is the crockpot verde chicken. We eat it on tostadas or tacos, I smoosh black beans a little, add fresh spinach. So easy. Add a Mexican rice on the side.

Salmon is so easy! I add seasoning. We like webers new o'leans Cajun seasoning we use it on literally everything. But I like the simple fish seasoning (can't remember what it's called, but skinny bottle with an orange colored seasoning). I usually buy the flash frozen in the bag, the Kroger brand has the skin off both sides already. I put a little olive oil in the bottom of a Pyrex, put my frozen salmon in the pan, season both sides, bake just like the package instructs. My kids LOVE salmon.

Shrimp is also very easy, we season with the webers n'oleans and grill, like 4 minutes on each side. Should be a "C" when finished. So yummy. We do shrimp kabobs with fresh veggies, pineapple maybe.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Google for Paleo chicken (or fish) recipes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Lime Grilled Chicken

Posted By Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations On August 10, 2011 @ 8:37 am In All Recipes,Chicken,Civilized Caveman

Cooking Time: 20 Minutes

Serves: 2

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts
  • Juice of 4 limes
  • 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 Tsp Dried Sage
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste

From our friend George at http://www.civilizedcavemancooking.com/!

Combine all the above ingredients except your chicken in a bowl and mix well
Place your chicken breasts in a shallow dish and pour your marinade over the top and cover. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours but up to 48 hours
When ready to cook, pull your chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature
Place chicken breasts on a plate and pour your marinade into a sauce pan
Heat your marinade on the stove and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes until it thickens up so you can baste the chicken while cooking
Preheat your grill on medium heat and then go cook your chicken breasts, should be about 10 minutes per side
While your chicken is cooking keep basting them with your marinade reduction
Your chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 Degrees
Enjoy :)

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/lime-grilled-chicken/

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Chicken Taco Salad

Posted By MellowMomma On May 24, 2013 @ 9:14 am In All Recipes,Chicken

Cooking Time: 15-20 min.

Serves: 2

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 2 cups cooked chicken
  • 3 cups of spinach
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 tomato chopped
  • 1/4 sweet onion chopped
  • 1/4 cup cilantro
  • 3 T taco seasoning

Preheat oven to 400. Using the slicing disc on the food processor, slice your sweet potato. Spray a cookie sheet with olive oil and spread the sweet potato chips out on the cookie sheet. Spray with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 15-20 minutes or until the chips start to brown on the edges and become crispy.

While that is cooking, prepare your taco seasoning. You will need 3 T of this mixture. The rest you can store in an airtight container.
4 T chili powder
2 T onion powder
2 T garlic powder
2 T coconut flour
2 T cumin
4 t paprika
4 t oregano
1 t red pepper flakes
1 t sea salt
Shake these ingredients to mix well.

Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and add to a small skillet along with the broth and 3 T of the taco seasoning mixture. Heat on medium for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is heated thoroughly and the broth is absorbed.

Combine the chopped tomatoes, onions, and cilantro together. In a separate dish mash the avocado. Once the sweet potato chips and chicken are done assemble your taco salad however you choose. I like to start with the chips, then put spinach around the chips in a circle, followed by the pico. Then I put the chicken in the middle on top of the chips with a big dallop of guac followed by a few more chips. Yum!

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/chicken-taco-salad/

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM

These ladies have some great ideas...good luck!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Baked Tuna Steaks with Chimichurri Marinade

• 1 c. packed flat leaf parsley, or 1/3 c. dried parsley flakes
  • 3 - 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • Juice of 2 lemons (about 1/2 c.)
  • 1/2 c. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
  • Tuna steaks (we had 4 and had plenty of marinade)

Rinse the parsley and remove leaves from stems. 

In a food processor, blend parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic.  Pour into a small mixing bowl and add salt and peppers.  Mix well.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350°.  Rinse tuna steaks and place in glass baking dish.  Pour marinade over tuna steaks.  Bake for 25 - 30 minutes (it doesn't turn out dry.)

from www.primal-palate.com

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I've used other white fish fillets with this recipe and they work just as well

• Flounder in Lemon Dill Sauce (from www.cdkitchen.com)

• 2 lb. flounder fillets
    • 6 Tbsp. margarine or butter
    • 1 1/2 tsp. dill weed
    • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 1 good sized onion, thinly sliced

Over medium heat, heat all but the fish in skillet until butter is melted and onions are tender. Add the flounder; cover and cook 8 - 10 minutes until flounder flakes easily; baste occasionally.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Salmon with Hoisin Glaze Photo by: Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie Clark

Salmon with Hoisin Glaze

This five-ingredient salmon recipe requires just over 15 minutes to prepare and is guaranteed to please friends and family. Enjoy garlicky-spicy snow peas on the side.

Cooking Light AUGUST 2009

• Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet)
  • Prep time:20 Minutes

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless wild salmon fillets
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
  • Lemon rind strips (optional)

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish. Add fish to dish, turning to coat. Marinate at room temperature 8 minutes, turning occasionally.

3. Remove fish from marinade; discard marinade. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle fish evenly with sesame seeds. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Garnish with rind, if desired.

Garlicky-spicy snow peas: Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 pound snow peas and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon sugar; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat; drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:41 AM

This is a family favorite, and I love how easy it is to make:

Spicy Roast Chicken: (can be made in oven or crockpot)

• 1 whole chicken
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Combine spices and rub all over chicken, being sure to get under the skin wherever possible and the inside cavity. Bake in oven (covered) at 325 for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on size of chicken OR place in crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN