Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I feel like I'm a lost cause...

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM
  • 29 Replies

Let me explain to you how I feel. I'm getting older. I'm getting fatter. I'm getting more depressed. I have all these great ideas and intensions to get off my butt and do better for myself, but it just doesn't happen. I even know I feel better once I get moving/exercising and I actually start to enjoy it. I degrade myself down and am so embarrassed that I don't even let my husband see my body. I start looking into trying new things and eating certain ways but then there's always something around the corner that contradicts what I planned. It's very frustrating and I just feel like being fat, but then there's these things inside of my head called eyeballs that have to look at my body everyday. I just can't get the motivation. It's like nothing I read, see, or hear is enough to actually get my butt in gear. I just don't know what to do (actually I do) but I feel horrible :( Anyone ever felt this way?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jess21608
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Yes! Its very hard to get the motivation..Change is HARD...for me weight never came off easy..its harder now after having my baby. He is 5 months old. Before I got pregnant I lost 50 pounds it was incredibly hard but I was so much happier with myself but after gaining some of that weight back and being tired with a new baby Im back into my old ways. I dont have the motivation to get back to the gym and work off this fat. Im 25 I tell myself I have plenty of time..haha I will be saying that at 40 I can feel it. I hope you find your answer...I too haven't wanted to look in the mirror and my intimacy level is at zero which isn't like me at all. You will get there and so will I just gotta suck it up and jump in with both feet!

alandou
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Thanks for responding. It feels a little better to know I'm not the only one to feel this way.

Quoting Jess21608:

Yes! Its very hard to get the motivation..Change is HARD...for me weight never came off easy..its harder now after having my baby. He is 5 months old. Before I got pregnant I lost 50 pounds it was incredibly hard but I was so much happier with myself but after gaining some of that weight back and being tired with a new baby Im back into my old ways. I dont have the motivation to get back to the gym and work off this fat. Im 25 I tell myself I have plenty of time..haha I will be saying that at 40 I can feel it. I hope you find your answer...I too haven't wanted to look in the mirror and my intimacy level is at zero which isn't like me at all. You will get there and so will I just gotta suck it up and jump in with both feet!

MrsOssiander
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:48 AM
2 moms liked this
It is very hard and you aren't alone! I just go 1 day at a time. I don't regret the yesterdays or worry about the tomorrows.
EiuGirl316
by Leah on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I totally felt that way after I had my son. I was actually the heaviest I'd ever been after he was born. For me, my low point came when a bitchy mom from my moms group posted a picture of my son and I walking. I was horrified by how bad I looked. I think some people do have to hit an absolute rock bottom before they decide to lose the weight once and for all. 

You could try doing it one day at a time and making small changes. I'd personally avoid a lot of the gimmick diets as they don't teach you how to eat in a healthy manner. Have you ever considered eating cleanly and counting calories? It helped me to see how much I was really consuming at every meal. 

cad1972
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

You are not alone, I feel the same way most days. I am turning things around and I have a very supportive husband who also needs to loose weight so we are doing it together. I still have bad day and I've learned not to beat myself up about having a bad day. I just move on and start over. Dont beat yourself up to start over even if it is everyday! You will be trying! Good Luck! 

azn_ladie82
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I remember feeling this way when I was at my heaviest. My husband tried to be nice hinting that I should lose the weight. I was trying to convince myself that I didn't need to. I would speed walk past the mirror to avoid seeing the mess that I created. No matter what I heard or read..it all boiled down to what I wanted for myself. One day I was at my oldest son's football game sitting on the side lines and noticed that I was the fattest mom there. It was a horrible feeling and from there I knew I had to change. I didn't want my kids to feel embarrassed by their mom. (My husband grew up embarrassed by his mom's weight- she was just over 300 pounds.) Like in any case whether it's smoking, cheating, drinking, over eating...no one will change unless they want to. I would definitely start small and work towards that goal. Good luck!

BethsB
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

please dont take this the wrong way.. im not being mean..

maybe you should go to your doctor and request some lab work, see where you are at health-wise. im just saying if you feel like your over weight maybe you should get things looked at. it may open your eyes and be enough of a reality check to get you motivated.

I did about 2 years ago and i had high cholestrol, plus diabetis runs in my family.

my test came back with slightly high cholesterol, so i made a change.. it was just enough to get me to pay attention to how much i ex and what i put in my mouth. there are tons of diets out there, but ultimately you just need to change your life style.

I hope your not offended, when your health is involved it will make you more motivated.

Hugs!!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I can TOTALLY relate.  I was there when I was at my heaviest.  I KNEW what I needed to do.  Knowledge was never the issue.  I KNEW I needed to eat less and move more.  I KNEW which of the foods I ate weren't exactly healthy.  I was hiding from cameras, couldn't fit down the slide when I took my son to the park, got winded going up a flight of stairs, had to keep an eye on weight limits, it was awful.  It was no way to live.  I was 29, and my blood pressure was 138/88 (with a family history of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc).  I also have clinical depression, and my weight didn't exactly help.  I had to hit rock bottom before I actually did much to change any of this.  I had to accept that I would never be younger, never have less pain, it would never be a "better time", I'd never have more time, it had to happen NOW.  It took getting pissed off at where I'd ended up and how I'd let myself get that far to get serious.  I'd started trying to clean up my diet a bit, but when my rock bottom happened, I went 100% clean, and got my portions under control.  I was weighing my food, measuring things, etc.  I logged my food to see where I was starting- I was eating several thousand calories per day.  No wonder I was ballooning up!  My portions were out of control.  I was eating to stuff every emotion- happiness, sadness, depression, boredom.  Because food was available.  Because I COULD.  Hunger had little to do with it.  I had to get USED to WAITING to eat until I was hungry, and I had to learn how to sense that I was GETTING full instead of eating until I felt stuffed.  After a few months, I started running.  My workouts got more streamlined.

With this work, my depression got better, too (not 100%, but it improved).  I felt better about myself.  I could keep up with my very active son (who I can finally outrun!).  I could fit down the slide and stop worrying about weight limits and enjoy seeing pictures of myself, instead of shuddering at my chins and how big my arms and stomach looked.

YOU CAN DO THIS.  You DESERVE to feel good about yourself.  You deserve MORE than this.

I just want to show you where I was and where I am now.  I'm happy to share the details, just let me know, and I'll post it (no gimmicks or products or anything).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

GoldenLinds
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel like this everyday! I haveny touched the scale in over a month and you know what... its helping. I actually had to get away from my goal in order to accomplish anything. I got so overwhw lemed with what I wanted that I felt defeated before I began and so I did nothing. Now I take it one meal at a time. I make some good choices and some bad but ultimately I'm working forward. I've lost 2 inches off my waist and that's the number that matters. I have no idea how much weight I've lost.
mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely! I've felt this way way too often. Just last week I had to take before pix for a new workout routine I just started. I despied the way I looked... I called my sister and cried. I've always had body image issues and have been doing very well accepting my body shape and flaws...until I saw the pix. I said, "that's it; I give up. My freaking shape (apple) is never going to change. It's worthless (I've been w/o and eating better for almost 5months). I cried. I Vented with my sis. She gave me a reality check. I remembered how great I feel after each workout. I bowed to keep pushing forward. I know it's going to take time, but I' ll get there. Just take it one day at a time. Make small changes; they count! And just do it!! Dnt think about it, do it! U can do this :)

Quoting alandou:

Let me explain to you how I feel. I'm getting older. I'm getting fatter. I'm getting more depressed. I have all these great ideas and intensions to get off my butt and do better for myself, but it just doesn't happen. I even know I feel better once I get moving/exercising and I actually start to enjoy it. I degrade myself down and am so embarrassed that I don't even let my husband see my body. I start looking into trying new things and eating certain ways but then there's always something around the corner that contradicts what I planned. It's very frustrating and I just feel like being fat, but then there's these things inside of my head called eyeballs that have to look at my body everyday. I just can't get the motivation. It's like nothing I read, see, or hear is enough to actually get my butt in gear. I just don't know what to do (actually I do) but I feel horrible :( Anyone ever felt this way?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN