Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

treadmill help

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 30 Replies
How do you stay motivated?? I had my first workout on my new treadmill today (30 whole minutes). It nearly killed me lol. Anyway my friend is more than 50 pounds heavier than me and has done it for 16 days straight now. 11 pounds already!

That motivated me to start, but when I finished the workout I lost motivation. Everyone says you'll love it, but I just don't. How do you bring yourself to do it every day, I already can see myself making excuses and thinking negatively about it and I hate that.

I feel like everyone around me is on some kind of weight loss plan and I don't want to be the lazy one in the group who stays heavy.
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rebelmama85
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Music! You need really upbeat music
tiffa5ny
by New Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

What she said. Without music while I run I have trouble pushing through. Also, I've been compiling a wall of motivational quotes in front of my treadmill from movies and stuff. It sounds like you're only running to be like you're friends, because you don't wan't to be 'the lazy one.'  It's a lot easier to get through when you're doing it for yourself.  :)

Quoting Rebelmama85:

Rebelmama85
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I also put a mirror down at my feet too. Like against the wall. It's just another thing to focus on when you run

Quoting tiffa5ny:

What she said. Without music while I run I have trouble pushing through. Also, I've been compiling a wall of motivational quotes in front of my treadmill from movies and stuff. It sounds like you're only running to be like you're friends, because you don't wan't to be 'the lazy one.'  It's a lot easier to get through when you're doing it for yourself.  :)

Quoting Rebelmama85:

muzzyh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Music or a tv show on DVD. I like to watch tv because the story pulls me in; before I know it 23 or 45 minutes have disappeared!
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I watch shows while i'm on the treadmill. I pick a couple of shows that I can only watch while I'm on the treadmill, then if I want to know what's going on in Glee, I better get to walking/jogging. Or get an upbeat playlist together.

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Honestly I couldn't have stuck with a treadmill without the couch 2 5k app on my phone. I have a tendency to push myself too hard too fast in the beginning and give up after 1-2 days. The combo run walk helps so much!

As for boredom I just finished watching arrested development on Netflix. That was an awesome series. How I met your mother is a great show but I can't quite get into it on the treadmill. I definitely need Netflix cuz I'm pretty sure commercials would drive me crazy on the treadmill!!
momof3jam
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Omg these are great ideas. I'm definitely going to start watching a show. With 3 kids, I never get my own TV time - and I never get a half an hour of free time (except now while I'm on the treadmill), so it's a perfect combination!!

mommy9518
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I force myself on it and once the music starts going I enjoy it. If I know I'm gonna give up ill take a walk outside bc I know I can't just jump off and be done at anytime.
momof3jam
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Running outside would be a great idea. But I wouldn't end up pushing myself as hard as a treadmill...

Although I guess if I run with my gigantic dog, that might work... Plus he'd love it.

Quoting flowrsgalore:

treadmills are hard to get excited about. If the weather is decent can you try running outside? Something about fresh air elevates my mood so much better than an indoor treadmill work out. I'm not saying don't use your treadmill, but you might like running more if you went outside & then use the tm for when you have kids, bad weather, etc. music & tv are definitely good distractions

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Ug, the DREADmill!  LOL

I'm a distance runner, but I avoid my treadmill whenever possible!  LOL  I'd so rather run outside.  I can go for hours outside (literally), especially if I'm trail running.

When I DO use my TM, I'll work it in with other stuff- I'll do 5 minutes on the TM at a good hard pace, then do a few strength moves, then another 5 minutes, then more strength, back and forth.  Or I'll do a lot of interval work.  If I'm just pounding away at the TM, I'll put on a TV show or movie, though I have to crank up the volume!  I have a hard time doing more than about 20-30 minutes straight without doing SOMETHING else.  I actually use it a lot for walking while reading my homework (I'm in nursing school, so I have TONS of reading to do).  If no TV, there is at the very least music, including when I do my intervals or mix it in with strength.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)