Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

My first 5K!!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this

I ran my first 5K on Sunday.  It was the Chicago Women's 5K and half marathon.  It was a beautiful run along Grant Park, along the lake front to the museum campus, then back to Grant Park.  I finished in 43:07 and am very happy with that time.  I am a 50 year old girl, in therapy for a hip problem, so I'm tickled pink that I finished!!!  :)   It was a beautiful run and sunny morning, with lots of sign waving supporters along the way.  It couldn't have been more perfect. 

I do have a question...I walked around for about 45 minutes afterwards, cooling down, rehydrating and visiting the many vendor tents.  Everything was going great.  I interval run about 3 miles every other day, so I was feeling good with no problems, just a tight hip, which I expected. 

One of the vending tents offered post-run stretches from sports medicine physical therapists.  I told the therapist about my hip, so he did a lot of hip flexor stretches.  At one point, he pushed my knee up to my chest, then twisted my shin inward, towards my other shoulder.  It was very tight.  On the way back to my car, that knee started hurting.  By the end of the day (and still today) I couldn't walk on it.  Has anyone had this happen before?  I am about to make an appointment with the orthopedic doc that takes care of my hip, but I don't want to run to the doctor for something that is common in newbie runners and will go away in another day or two.

Overall, I had an awesome time!  I'm signed up for a 10K in September and looking forward to it!  If I can just get this old body to cooperate.  ;)

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats that awesome! I run my first 5k on Saturday.

I'm not sure about the knee. Personally if I couldn't walk on it I'd go to the dr.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Yay on your first 5K!  What a huge accomplishment!! =)

I would say with your history, I'd check in with your ortho.  They'd be the best ones to see, anyway, and if you already see one, there's no harm in getting checked out.  I hope it's better soon!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

zen-o-matic
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you both for your input and support!!  It means more to this old girl than you think!  :)  After this weekend, I'm looking forward to longer runs.  10K. definitely.   half?  full?  Someday!  :)

I went ahead and made an appointment for tomorrow.  Better safe than sorry.  

BEST OF LUCK on your 5K Noni!!!!  I'll be cheering for you!

Thanks again!!!  :D

3Xthelove
by Heather on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats!

I'm looking forward to the Hot Chocolate 5k...I think??? it is Grant Park??

I am from a suburb of Chicago. :)
jesusfreak769
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

WAY TO GO!!!!  THATS AWESOME!!!!!!

you rock

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM
How's your knee?
mkmommy0406
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Way to go!!  I'm getting ready to register for my first that is on July 20th!

zen-o-matic
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Noni, I'm still limping around. lol  I had an MRI yesterday and see the doc for results this afternoon.  Fingers crossed! Thanks for asking.  :)

MKmommy.  You go girl!  It's more fun than I expected.  Have a great time!

mckinneymom918
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Great job!

I'm running my first 5k Thursday. Pretty stoked!
zen-o-matic
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Awesome!!!  Have fun!!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)