Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Ask Ask Ask! Mom and Fitness Competitor Answers:)

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey All,

I posted this up in the intro section but thought I'd start my own thread here also.....

My name is Melanie and I just joined up today.  I've
been reading the forums for a while and this is a great place to chat
with like-minded mom's interested in getting and staying fit.

A
little about me....I'm in my late 30s and Married with one son Tyler. 
My pregnancy was pretty typical other than the emergency C
section.....little T just didn't want to be born right then:)  I gained
around 40lbs on my 5'1" frame and this became one of my #1 goals....to
get fit and stay there. 

While I've worked out and tried to stay
active most of my adult life, it became increasingly harder during and
after Tyler was born.  I went from "winging it" at the gym, to running
miles upon miles every day, to succumbing to the promise of a certain
large company that advertised on late night TV that if I followed their
DVD workout programs I'd be super thin and ripped.  After none of that
got me to where I wanted to be, I decided to take it upon myself and
invest in a real personal trainer.  This wasn't the cheapest option but,
as it turns out, was the best thing I could do for myself. 

(Unfortunately,
I wasn't able to start with the trainer right away.  I had been having
massive headaches for the last 2 years.  After many trips to the Dr. and
steroid injections, I had spinal surgery last year where they fused 2
of my vertebrae.  It was successful and no more headaches so far! I've also had 4 foot surgeries and am still in excruciating pain but that's another story:))

My
husband had been using the same trainer for a few months so I knew she
was good and could help me.  After a few weeks of a very specific
nutrition and workout routine, I started to see changes I had never seen
before!  After a few months I got interested in fitness competitions,
and earlier this year I placed first in the NPC fitness competition for
my category! 

Lately I have concentrated on helping friends and
family with their fitness goals.  So here I am and I'm here to help,
answer questions, and get you excited and enthused about dropping those
lbs, shedding the doubt, and becoming that fit mom that all the rest are
jealous of:)

Melanie

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
ASPENOPS
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM

To momto3boys85 and armyvet06....

Keep going!  I have been detailing the necessity of lifting heavy in other threads and this applies to you also.  Kettlebells are great....but you need to have someone that is a pro teach you how to use them.  You can injure yourself pretty badly if you don't know what you're doing.

I'd suggest sticking with the tried and true hand weights you've been using...but up the weight and decrease all the cardio you are doing.  Here is a post I made yesterday in another thread about why...

"Of course!:). You need to lift enough weight so that your muscle fibers break down. The amount of weight varies for everyone. There are different theories on reps etc....but generally, try to find a weight that will have you seriously straining towards the end of 10-12 reps in a set. For lower body exercises....increase that to 12-15 reps.

We ladies tend to get scared of "heavy weights" because we don't want to get all big and bulky. I'm here to tell you that won't happen! When you lift heavy, you break down your muscle fibers. Your body then works to rebuild them. THIS is how you shape and tone your figure....with lean muscle mass.

Focusing lots of effort on cardio this and cardio that is all for not. You might lose some weight, but since there is no lean muscle, the weight will come right back. Muscle destroys/burns up fat (even while your sleeping)"

Quoting momto3boys85:

You look amazing, I have more weight in my thighs and butt, I know you can't spot train but I would love to slim them down as I feel very self conscious of my legs and thighs and rear end. I also wanted to know what is a recommended eating plan, I have lost about 30 pounds so far, but have another 50 to go and though I'm not looking to be as muscular as you are I would love to have toned and leaner looking muscles and lose more inches. Right now I workout on my elliptical and have my aerobics DVDS I just started back doing with hand weights. Also are those kettle bells really better at toning muscle, I have heard a lot hype about them and was curious about buying a set of them and a workout dvd, thank you so much for letting us ask you questions. 

Melanie (About me)

Defy Ordinary!

ASPENOPS
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Thank you:) 

How about you.....how are your goals coming along?

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Oh WOW!  What a transformation! 

Melanie (About me)

Defy Ordinary!

Silvertears1275
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Slowly, but surely =)  I've lost 40 lbs over the past year.  I walked a half-marathon in March and then started running and am now training to run (at least most of) a half in October =) 

Quoting ASPENOPS:

How about you.....how are your goals coming along?

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Oh WOW!  What a transformation! 

kiwimom74
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM

You look amazing!!! Fantastic effort.

I have been using a trainer now for 8 weeks, I can see how I have progressed with strength but my downfall is still my diet.

Initially I started using  a traiiner because I wanted to be able to run faster ( lol I had little strength) in my next half marathon but now that I am doing weights I am actually really enjoying using them so I find myself in  a bit of a conflict about what I want. my goals to be.

question - how long did it take from when you started working out to get to the competition stage?

Congrats again on an amazing job...if you could bottle your dedication I would surely buy some  :-)

ASPENOPS
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no conflict:)  If you build lean muscle, the fat will melt away and your energy/stamina will go through the roof.....what could be better for being a great runner and looking great at the same time?

So many runners....well, they just run.  This is so wrong on so many levels I won't go into in here. 

My journey to the stage is hard to determine as I've worked out for a while.  I'd say it really started when I hired the trainer.....from that point it was about 6 months for me.  I could have done a show earlier in say around 4 months time, but there weren't any shows to do!  So I waited and kept working out.

Quoting kiwimom74:

You look amazing!!! Fantastic effort.

I have been using a trainer now for 8 weeks, I can see how I have progressed with strength but my downfall is still my diet.

Initially I started using  a traiiner because I wanted to be able to run faster ( lol I had little strength) in my next half marathon but now that I am doing weights I am actually really enjoying using them so I find myself in  a bit of a conflict about what I want. my goals to be.

question - how long did it take from when you started working out to get to the competition stage?

Congrats again on an amazing job...if you could bottle your dedication I would surely buy some  :-)

Melanie (About me)

Defy Ordinary!

audmom1218
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Here here! I've already wasted over 2000 on bad trainers! I'm so gun shy to try again! I'm tempted to hire my bro to help me train. He has been an athelete and a coach almost his whole life!

Quoting ASPENOPS:

Quoting BeAmour:

Working with my trainer has been the best decision of my life!!

Good trainers are worth their weight in gold.....the trouble is finding a good one.

Glad you've had success! What are your goals?

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Mobile Photo

Here's one of my progress pics. My ideal would be to have some muscle definition in my lower body and abs along with arms and back. My plan for now is very slow cut and perhaps eventually a bulk because I want more mass in shoulders and leg muscles especially. But we will see where I am in 6 months and a year. :)
I'm very happy with my training and pretty happy with eating loads so not so motivated to cut the fat any faster ;)
ASPENOPS
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

WOW! What a transformation - way to go. That is dedication at its best. Starting a cut phase slowly is the right way to go about it. Let me know if you have any questions about it :)

ps - adding mass to your shoulders and back helps streamline your body's look!

Quoting Stefanie83:

Mobile Photo

Here's one of my progress pics. My ideal would be to have some muscle definition in my lower body and abs along with arms and back. My plan for now is very slow cut and perhaps eventually a bulk because I want more mass in shoulders and leg muscles especially. But we will see where I am in 6 months and a year. :)
I'm very happy with my training and pretty happy with eating loads so not so motivated to cut the fat any faster ;)

Melanie (About me)

Defy Ordinary!

ASPENOPS
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Good Morning! I've addressed your questions below :)

Quoting ballerina18:

Aww, you look beautiful. Congratulations on all of your progress and keep up the great work! You must have incredible dedication and focus.

Okay, I have a few questions.

1.   Currently, this is my weekly workout routine (below).  I am wondering if this schedule has enough variety or if I need to mix it up even more? I do have access to a gym and I was jogging on the treadmill/elliptical once or twice a week, but I've cut back on that lately. I'm also wondering if I need to include weight training at the gym in my schedule (would prefer not to..just not something I really enjoy) or if the lunges, squats, planks in yoga class will be enough? YOU MUST LIFT!! Building lean muscle mass burns fat......and helps maintain weight loss. In my opinion you are doing way too much cardio. If you work out 5 days a week (for example) that should include 3 lifts and 2 cardio sessions (maybe 30 min max).

****I forgot to add that right now my goal is to lose weight. So far I've lsot 10.5lbs since May 17th so I feel like I'm headed in the right direction. My current BMI is 22.2 (within normal weight range). I would like to lose ~26 more lbs

• Zumba: 40min 2x a week
  • Yoga: (45min) 4x a week (yoga classes are the same each week, but I take different classes throughout the week)
  • Mommy+Me yoga/ zumba for kids (1 hour): I take my 5 yr old to these classes so it's a light workout

2.   Is there a place for alcohol in any diet? I'm always so scared that I'm going to ruin my progress if I have a few drinks when I go out w/ friends...ect. Oh the dreaded alcohol question!! I stick to having drinks once a week during my cheat (treat) meal. But I'm human and have had drinks more than that but I generally stick to once a week.

3. I'm SO Pale. I would love to hear your thoughts on how to safely get a nice tan. Do you recommend any tanning creams or is it best to get a spray tan? I'm not interested in using tanning beds. Tanning beds are awful! I just use Jergens self tanning lotion. I'd consider a professional spray tan (like that place called At the Beach or something like that) if you want color all over. I think they last a few weeks.

4. Just out of curiosity. How do they judge those fitness competitions you are in? Do they look at how big your muscles are?  Do you have to move into different positions on a stage? I competed in the Physique category - so they were looking for muscle definition and symmetry. Yes, I had to move into different positions on stage - my trainer helped me with those poses :)

THANKS! =) It's so nice of you to offer to answer questions!    

Melanie (About me)

Defy Ordinary!

3Xthelove
by Heather on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Holy crap Stefanie! Even your back side is awesome. Can you please give me some food pointers; I am really struggling with this.

Quoting Stefanie83:

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)