Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Ask Ask Ask! Mom and Fitness Competitor Answers:)

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey All,

I posted this up in the intro section but thought I'd start my own thread here also.....

My name is Melanie and I just joined up today.  I've
been reading the forums for a while and this is a great place to chat
with like-minded mom's interested in getting and staying fit.

A
little about me....I'm in my late 30s and Married with one son Tyler. 
My pregnancy was pretty typical other than the emergency C
section.....little T just didn't want to be born right then:)  I gained
around 40lbs on my 5'1" frame and this became one of my #1 goals....to
get fit and stay there. 

While I've worked out and tried to stay
active most of my adult life, it became increasingly harder during and
after Tyler was born.  I went from "winging it" at the gym, to running
miles upon miles every day, to succumbing to the promise of a certain
large company that advertised on late night TV that if I followed their
DVD workout programs I'd be super thin and ripped.  After none of that
got me to where I wanted to be, I decided to take it upon myself and
invest in a real personal trainer.  This wasn't the cheapest option but,
as it turns out, was the best thing I could do for myself. 

(Unfortunately,
I wasn't able to start with the trainer right away.  I had been having
massive headaches for the last 2 years.  After many trips to the Dr. and
steroid injections, I had spinal surgery last year where they fused 2
of my vertebrae.  It was successful and no more headaches so far! I've also had 4 foot surgeries and am still in excruciating pain but that's another story:))

My
husband had been using the same trainer for a few months so I knew she
was good and could help me.  After a few weeks of a very specific
nutrition and workout routine, I started to see changes I had never seen
before!  After a few months I got interested in fitness competitions,
and earlier this year I placed first in the NPC fitness competition for
my category! 

Lately I have concentrated on helping friends and
family with their fitness goals.  So here I am and I'm here to help,
answer questions, and get you excited and enthused about dropping those
lbs, shedding the doubt, and becoming that fit mom that all the rest are
jealous of:)

Melanie

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
imacafemomer
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting ASPENOPS:

Quoting 3Xthelove:

Amazing!

What are your typical meals like?

Hi!

I eat 6 times a day.  Breakfast, snack, lunch, post workout drink, dinner, pre-bed snack.  I have 3 day-plans that I rotate the start over at day one.  It sounds like a lot of work but it's really very easy.  I can prepare almost all the food ahead of time and package it up for the next few days.

what is the plan? And how often do you prepare your food?

imacafemomer
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

nevermind. I see you already answered

Quoting imacafemomer:

Quoting ASPENOPS:

Quoting 3Xthelove:

Amazing!

What are your typical meals like?

Hi!

I eat 6 times a day.  Breakfast, snack, lunch, post workout drink, dinner, pre-bed snack.  I have 3 day-plans that I rotate the start over at day one.  It sounds like a lot of work but it's really very easy.  I can prepare almost all the food ahead of time and package it up for the next few days.

what is the plan? And how often do you prepare your food?

ASPENOPS
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I try to prepare everything during the weekend for the week ahead.  I put it all in zip lock storage containers....then as I need it each day....I portion it out into smaler containers to take with me

TheBookSiren
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM
You look Amazing! Congrats!
I have around 100lbs to lose. Its ironic, I just told dh last night I wouldn't mind being muscular since he was asking me what my goals were with lifting.
MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Wow, you are inspirational!

Ok, I am a runner who doesn't weight train. Training for a triathlon now. Can you give examples of a weight training session should be? 

ASPENOPS
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Hi!

First....it is quite an awesome thing that you have dedicated yourself to a triathlon!  Way to go!  Now, what are your goals?  I realize that one of them is probably "finish the dang tri" but what other ones do you have?  Is this tri a push to get you started with an overall fitness plan? 

Here is a good example of a Monday lifting session for me.  These are supersets and work your entire body (while also focusing on certain muscle groups).  Supersets means you do one set of the first exercise, then one set of the 2nd exercise until you go through the first 4, then go back and do another set of the first exercise...until you've done 4 sets of each. 

Use enought weight so that you are straining towards the end of each set.

BB Step Ups. 4 sets of 12-15 reps PER LEG (non-alternating).

Reverse DB Lunges: 4 sets of 15 reps per leg

Swiss Ball Jackknife: 4 sets of 25 reps

Seated Arnold Press: 4 sets of 12 reps

10 minutes rope jumping (or whatever intense cardio you like).

2(a) Bent Over BB Row. 4 sets of 8-10 reps

2(b) Incline Bench Press: 4 sets of 15 reps

2(c) Dumbbell Preacher Curls: 4 sets of 12 reps

2(d) Overhead Triceps Press: 4 sets of 12 reps

Another 10 minutes of jumping rope.

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

Ok, I am a runner who doesn't weight train. Training for a triathlon now. Can you give examples of a weight training session should be? 

Melanie (About me)

Defy Ordinary!

ASPENOPS
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Thank you!  You know, the awesome thing about having that much weight to lose....is the fact that if you really start in on a nutrition and workout plan, you will drop weight rediculously fast!

For my edification....what is a "dh"?

Quoting TheBookSiren:

I have around 100lbs to lose. Its ironic, I just told dh last night I wouldn't mind being muscular since he was asking me what my goals were with lifting.

Melanie (About me)

Defy Ordinary!

MamaCeleste0722
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Thanks! My overall goal is to become fitter. I have 40 lbs to lose, I've already lost 15 lbs. I enjoy running, and I've been enjoying training for the tri. I've been running on and off for a few years, but really have been training (tempo runs, intervals) for different races since September. I just enjoy exercise. Thank you for the strength training ideas!

Quoting ASPENOPS:

Hi!

First....it is quite an awesome thing that you have dedicated yourself to a triathlon!  Way to go!  Now, what are your goals?  I realize that one of them is probably "finish the dang tri" but what other ones do you have?  Is this tri a push to get you started with an overall fitness plan? 

Here is a good example of a Monday lifting session for me.  These are supersets and work your entire body (while also focusing on certain muscle groups).  Supersets means you do one set of the first exercise, then one set of the 2nd exercise until you go through the first 4, then go back and do another set of the first exercise...until you've done 4 sets of each. 

Use enought weight so that you are straining towards the end of each set.

BB Step Ups. 4 sets of 12-15 reps PER LEG (non-alternating).

Reverse DB Lunges: 4 sets of 15 reps per leg

Swiss Ball Jackknife: 4 sets of 25 reps

Seated Arnold Press: 4 sets of 12 reps

10 minutes rope jumping (or whatever intense cardio you like).

2(a) Bent Over BB Row. 4 sets of 8-10 reps

2(b) Incline Bench Press: 4 sets of 15 reps

2(c) Dumbbell Preacher Curls: 4 sets of 12 reps

2(d) Overhead Triceps Press: 4 sets of 12 reps

Another 10 minutes of jumping rope.

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

TheBookSiren
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Oh I'm sorry DH= Dear Husband. My husband is helping me train for a 5k, and we talked about if I ever lose the weight what my goals are for my body besides being healthy. :)

I had an un-treated/undiagnosed medical issue that was hindering my previous weightloss attempts along with being ignorant about real nutrition and the way my body works.

I'm definitely taking notes on your meal and workout plan, thank you so much for sharing!

Quoting ASPENOPS:

Thank you!  You know, the awesome thing about having that much weight to lose....is the fact that if you really start in on a nutrition and workout plan, you will drop weight rediculously fast!

For my edification....what is a "dh"?

Quoting TheBookSiren:

zen-o-matic
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Wow!   Great information.  Thank you very much.  You are very sweet to offer your help like this.  :)

I am surprised at how much food you eat!  Probably because you work out so much and have such great muscle mass.  You look aaahhhhmaaazing!

I think I will post some sticky notes around my kitchen, with motivating messages to fight my inner saboteur, along the lines you suggested. 

It looks like a personal trainer is a big key.  I'll have to save my pennies for that one, as we're a one income family.  But I think it will be worth it!

Thanks again!!!  Keep up the awesomeness and inspiration.  :)

Quoting zen-o-matic:

Congratulations!  You look wonderful!  I'm not a competition type, but I would love to look like that! 

I do have many questions, if you don't mind.

1)  Can you give an example of what you eat in a typical day?  I have 3 meal plans I follow, each with varying degrees of carbs.  This is one of my high carb days....

Breakfast:  6 egg whites, 1/3 cup steel cut oat meal with 1 tbsp Raw Honey, 5 strawberries

Snack:  Protein Shake with 1 bananna

Lunch:  5oz lean fish, veggies, large apple, tbsp raw almond or peanut butter.

Post Workout:  Torrent (or similar) post workout shake.

Dinner:  5 oz protein (red meat, salmon etc), veggies, a pear, 5 strawberries

Snack:  Omelet (3 whole eggs, 2 egg whites), 1/3 cup steel cut oats, 5 straberries.

2)  How often/long do you work out?

5 days a week and I take Sat/Sun off completely.  Each workout lasts anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours.

3)  Do you have a 'voice of sabotage'?  How do you deal with it? (I sabotage myself regularly and not sure why)

Don't we all?:)  If you are paying for a personal trainer it's sorta like going to college....why pay for it if you aren't giving it your all?  If you don't have a trainer, it's the same feeling.....why do all that work in the gym only to sabotage all your effort by cheating on your diet?

4)  How much $ is a personal trainer (about)?  All of them vary.  I've had trainers that were $150 for 5 weeks, and others that were $325 a month. 

5)  What good characteristics and/or red flags should you look for in a trainer?  Communication is key.  Us girls like to chat back and fourth.  Your trainer should give you their phone number and email address so you can hit them up whenever you need with questions....and they should get back to you promptly.  Also, the trainer should have clients that have at least placed in competitions (even if that's not your goal).....it shows they really know what they are doing.

It's a lot of questions, I know.  Feel free to just answer the ones you want to answer.  ;)

Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)