Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Question about pushups

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 25 Replies

Is there a good solid alternative for a pushup? Another move that will essentially do the same thing? I have noticed in all these workout vids that somewhere, some time in it there is always pushups and I was am like... seriously?

I cannot do a pushup. Even when I was my thinnest, in school, child, teen, adult, etc. etc. I have NEVER been able to do one, NOT even a modified one lol. This is no crap. And because of this, I hate them. I try so hard, but it doesn't matter.

So... is there something different I can do while these vids are on pushups? I don't even care if it's not exactly the same, just close lol.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Well I don't know if these count, but have you tried wall pushups? I did those a lot until I could do the regular ones. I can do at most 5 regular ones lol but I'm working on it.

Ptitchou
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Why not start out on your knees?

thatgirlNH
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM

That is a modified pushup. I've never been able to do those either, and if anything I hate them the most because they hurt my knees REALLY badly.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Tonya_Lynn84
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I use to do wall push ups as well, so I think that would be a good choice!

As for regular push ups I can do them now as well, but then I started crossfit about 8 months ago and wheres I was use to regular push ups(chest about 7in above the floor), crossfit requires who to touch your chest to the ground! Fun, Fun!

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

Well I don't know if these count, but have you tried wall pushups? I did those a lot until I could do the regular ones. I can do at most 5 regular ones lol but I'm working on it.

thatgirlNH
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Never heard of that, I will have to google :)

Quoting LalasMommy1125:

Ptitchou
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM
There are plenty of exercises that you can do instead. Here's the thing: push-ups work a handful of different muscles at once: pecs, triceps, delts, serratus ant, coracobrachialis and your core as a whole. So you probably would be replacing the push up with three or four different exercises.

Do you use a gym? Free weights?
Ptitchou
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Lol. I know what it is.

Quoting thatgirlNH:

That is a modified pushup. I've never been able to do those either, and if anything I hate them the most because they hurt my knees REALLY badly.

Quoting Ptitchou:

Ptitchou
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM
You may need to strengthen the muscles around your knees as well. Perhaps that would help with the knee pain.

Quoting thatgirlNH:

Quoting Ptitchou:

TheBookSiren
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I would say start lifting and start with wall push ups. At over 200lbs I used to not be able to even do a modified push up. After a few weeks of wall push ups and lifting weights I could do regular pushups. Doing planks also helps train your arms to hold you in that position. Once you get strong enough to do a push up they are actually fun. :)

thatgirlNH
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Quoting Ptitchou:

There are plenty of exercises that you can do instead. Here's the thing: push-ups work a handful of different muscles at once: pecs, triceps, delts, serratus ant, coracobrachialis and your core as a whole. So you probably would be replacing the push up with three or four different exercises.

Do you use a gym? Free weights?
Thanks. I think it's probably ok even if I can't get all the moves in one. I just don't see myself ever being able to do these!! I don't go to the gym, I have two 2 pound weight balls, that is it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)