Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

husband issues

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 8 Replies

so i've been losing some weight and just started maybe a month ago. I know what my body needs and doesnt need, pretty much i don't have to count calories/fat, just watch my sodium intake and i'm good. i've lost about 4 pounds so far.

The problem is, my husband eats everything in his way ever since he quit smoking, always going out to eat and its a struggle for me when i'm around him. He is lazy and that makes it hard for me too. When he's gone, i'm fine, i can control what i eat and do. I can lose more in this month and i have even regretted some of the things i stuffed in my mouth but if you say that i should eat what i want to when he's around - easier said then done.

is there anyone else with this issue and how do you deal?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
My hubby is less than supportive when I'm trying to loose weight as well. I'll only buy "treats" for dd's lunch and then he will eat 1/2 of it in one sitting and complain that there is no food to eat.
But heaven for bid if he wants to loose weight, I get yelled at for buying dd's treats.
There is no winning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I can sort of understand where you are coming from. My SO has great eating habits, but he likes to have 1-2 glasses of alcohol every night. =/ It's really hard for me not to join in. I work out in the evenings around 5-7pm so when I get home we will eat dinner & put dd to bed. Afterward I take some time to myself to re-focus on my goals. Usually that means taking a bubble or detox bath and this really helps me. After that I feel so refreshed and I've been reminded of my goals so I can go spend time with SO and not join him in drinking.

jteffs
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I'm so sorry about your situation, my husband is, in general, very supportive. We've given up night time snacks because they are my weakness (think ice cream and chips) and only occassionally will he take the chips out to eat. I usually make him sit in the chair across the room so that I can't just absentmindedly reach into the bag.

itsm3
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM

what you eat is YOUR DECISION.  he doesn't force you so you must find the strength in yourself to resist the temptation.

walk away if you need to; just do something to NOT eat the bad stuff. 

or make him healthy meals/only have healthy stuff in the house.

Quoting americansugar80:

so i've been losing some weight and just started maybe a month ago. I know what my body needs and doesnt need, pretty much i don't have to count calories/fat, just watch my sodium intake and i'm good. i've lost about 4 pounds so far.

The problem is, my husband eats everything in his way ever since he quit smoking, always going out to eat and its a struggle for me when i'm around him. He is lazy and that makes it hard for me too. When he's gone, i'm fine, i can control what i eat and do. I can lose more in this month and i have even regretted some of the things i stuffed in my mouth but if you say that i should eat what i want to when he's around - easier said then done.

aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I agree. If he chooses to eat junk let him. He needs to get his mind right since he stopped smoking. Which I'm sure is VERY hard. If it's hard to have junk food in the house stop buying it. Sit down and talk to him.

You control what you eat. I have that same problem around certain people. It's hard as hell not to eat junk. But If I do I eat it , it's in moderation.

Quoting itsm3:

what you eat is YOUR DECISION.  he doesn't force you so you must find the strength in yourself to resist the temptation.

walk away if you need to; just do something to NOT eat the bad stuff. 

or make him healthy meals/only have healthy stuff in the house.

Quoting americansugar80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

My husband never exercises and always eats what he wants too. He'll sit and eat an entire bag of chips while I work out! It doesn't make it any easier but I just think about my goals and what I want and need. I wish I could get him to be motivated to improve his health and fitness.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I'm sorry your husband isn't more supportive of you.  It can be hard when the person you live with is like that.

Think about it this way though - what you eat is YOUR choice.  YOU can CHOOSE to not eat like your DH and instead eat healthy.  If he says something, ignore him and re-state your goal to yourself.  Let him eat himself silly while you go ahead and become healthier and more fit.  Let him see the changes that you have made and the results of them and eventually he'll cave and he'll start supporting you.  Also, as an extreme, go ahead and throw out all the junk food and don't buy it and just start cooking healthy - he'll have no choice at that point.  It's what I did and there haven't been any complaints.

In all honesty, as much as it would help for him to be completely supportive, sometimes that's not always the case.  That's why I always tell people that when it gets like that and the lack of support really gets to you, re-state your goal or take it out if you've written it down somewhere and remind yourself why you started this healthy journey to begin with.

azn_ladie82
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My husband's kinda the same way. He would sometimes eat Oreos while I workout. All I can do is shake my head and stay focus on what's best for me. Just recently he started running again, so I am proud of him for that. Now when he eats dinner..yeah, still eats for two people. Keep your focus girl! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)