Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do I stop drinking cokes?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm having serious issues with cokes. I can't seem to stop drinking them. I was wondering if any of you ladies have ever stopped the cokes and how you did it. It's not the caffeine I miss cause I will drink a cup of coffee and still crave them. 

I can't just not buy them cause my DH drinks them (he is a skinny little stick) and although I know they are not good for him I'm not going to make health decisions for him. I've tried telling my DH to take them to work and leave them there so I don't have access to them but he'll bring one home and ask if I want one. 

It gets to the point of where I will just not drink anything if I can't have a coke and will start to dehydrate myself. I tried just drinking water but can't stand it and would literally just be not interested in it enough to the point of where I was dying of thirst. 

I need help ASAP. please anyone that has gone through this, help would be most appreciated. I know they are not good for me at all and I need to stop but I just can't. TYIA for any advice! 

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirlNH
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM

What ways have you tried to quit? Cold turkey or weaning? I found the last time I quit soda cold turkey was the way to go. It's REALLY hard to give up an addiction to anything when there are people you know and love around you still doing it. Same happened to me when I tried to quit smoking. It probably would help you if you can get him to keep them in his car or at work or whatnot.

Good luck, I don't have any tips or anything =/ I am trying to quit soda again right now. I hate it, it gives me horrible migraines which weirdly have nothing to do with caffiene because I was using exederin with caffiene. ugh, it's a battle but you can do it!! Hopefully another mama has better tips :)

bloodytears1986
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I've tried both tactics, weaning and cold turkey. And any advice, to me, is good advice. I'll try to get my DH to keep them away from me and if he offers me one I'll slap him upside his head (lol). I'll try the cold turkey again. Thanks for your reply!

Quoting thatgirlNH:

What ways have you tried to quit? Cold turkey or weaning? I found the last time I quit soda cold turkey was the way to go. It's REALLY hard to give up an addiction to anything when there are people you know and love around you still doing it. Same happened to me when I tried to quit smoking. It probably would help you if you can get him to keep them in his car or at work or whatnot.

Good luck, I don't have any tips or anything =/ I am trying to quit soda again right now. I hate it, it gives me horrible migraines which weirdly have nothing to do with caffiene because I was using exederin with caffiene. ugh, it's a battle but you can do it!! Hopefully another mama has better tips :)

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I found cold turkey is the way to go.
ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I think your only options are cold turkey or weaning. You could try watering down your soda.

If water is not appetizing to you you could try adding lemon or lime to the water. I've read some people add cucumber or raspberries to water (which sounds tasty) but I've never tried it. One thing that really helped me to start drinking more water was finding a nice water bottle and carrying it around with me as much as possible.

Good luck!

tiffa5ny
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I was recently in the same predicament. I've always hated water, I'd be lucky to get one glass of water a week. I drank Pepsi 24/7. I'd tried to switch several times, but it never worked. Until I found the willpower inside myself to suck it up and do what's right, I never succeeded. I don't like water, but it's what my body needs, so now I drink almost nothing but water. About 70 ounces a day. I want to get pregnant and I want it to be a healthy pregnancy. It's the only thing that matters to me right now. I'm sorry I don't have any tips. 'If it's important to you then you'll find a way,  if not you'll find an excuse.' You can do this. Find your motivator.

haileys_mommy06
by Jenn on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never been a soda drinker. If I was and needed to stop, I would just stop buying them all together.

ASPENOPS
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Good Morning! Are you drinking diet or regular - just curious about the calorie and sugar intake as well.

While I've never had much desire for soda - I have to drink a TON of water daily which - honestly isn't that appealing. So what I found that works is adding things to my water. Loads of ice and fresh lemons sliced up and squeezed in (this also helps your metabolism...bonus) - also adding Crystal Light (powder form poured in to your desired taste) is fine. 

Hope this is some help :) You can do it!!!!

bloodytears1986
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

regular sodas, I know I know. I'm so ashamed! 

Quoting ASPENOPS:

Good Morning! Are you drinking diet or regular - just curious about the calorie and sugar intake as well.

While I've never had much desire for soda - I have to drink a TON of water daily which - honestly isn't that appealing. So what I found that works is adding things to my water. Loads of ice and fresh lemons sliced up and squeezed in (this also helps your metabolism...bonus) - also my trainer said Crystal Light (powder form poured in to your desired taste) is fine. 

Hope this is some help :) You can do it!!!!

Momto2boys78
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Cold Turkey is the way to go. It's what I did. I haven't had a soda since March 7th! I do drink 1 or 2 coffee in the mornings then water all day. As of last Wed, I have lost 34lbs. I still have a long way to go.

My husband still drinks sodas so he has a mini fridge for him with his soda to keep that away from me.. so it works! Now when I see him drink sodas, I'm like I don't care and it doesn't bother me anymore.. just knowing that I'm drinking healthier than him!

azn_ladie82
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I'd have to agree. The taste of soda is no longer good to me :-)

Quoting Noni2319:

I found cold turkey is the way to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)