Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

GMOs

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hey ladies,

Does anyone know how to tell from the food label if it contains GMOs? Are there specific chemicals I should look out for? I want to buy some veggie burgers and I just want to make sure they are non-GMO but I didn't see any that said that specifically.

Thanks!

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Unless the label specifies that it's non-GMO, you'll be taking a big risk.  Corn and soy are two of the biggest villains when it comes to GMOs in our food, and corn and soy are found in MANY, MANY food products.  Food producers are not required to label foods as GMO in the good ol' USA, unlike other countries.

Check out this site for more info (it's very helpful!): http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

mhaney03
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

download this app called fooducate.  you can scan the bar code and it'll tell you the risk of GMOs.  It doesn't do this by default, you have to change the settings.

Another app called Buycott can help you avoid anything that puts money into Monsanto's pocket.

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Got them thanks!

Quoting mhaney03:

download this app called fooducate.  you can scan the bar code and it'll tell you the risk of GMOs.  It doesn't do this by default, you have to change the settings.

Another app called Buycott can help you avoid anything that puts money into Monsanto's pocket.

LalasMommy1125
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for that link it was helpful!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Unless the label specifies that it's non-GMO, you'll be taking a big risk.  Corn and soy are two of the biggest villains when it comes to GMOs in our food, and corn and soy are found in MANY, MANY food products.  Food producers are not required to label foods as GMO in the good ol' USA, unlike other countries.

Check out this site for more info (it's very helpful!): http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, anything certified organic is non-GMO.  That can be helpful!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN