Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Where do I start?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 14 Replies

I've tried to lose weight before. Right now I'm barely under 300 pounds. I'm 28 and already considering bariatric surgery. 

I've tried eating healthy, I've tried excersizing more. I feel like I've done everything I can to lose weight but it's just not working. What do I do? Where do I start?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
traceydc
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I was in the same boat. I started taking Omni HCG Drops. The diet is strict but it works Ive lost 8lb & 8inches in 18 days. Im not doing as well as others because I fell off the wagon on Fathers Day and ended up with a gain. But I did lose it again and Im doing good!
cad1972
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I am 40 5'1" and started out at 240 I am now 218... It is going slow but I am trying to go it healthy without "diet programs" hoping to make a life style change.

Have you gone and gotten blood work, is there a medical condition preventing you from loosing, since you said you've tried in the past? I have to say I also considered some type of weight loss surgery... I've been told that I was morbidly obese OUCH... LOL I am hoping to loose 80lbs at least get to 150-160... 

I just cut all fast food and drive thru's, we are grilling chicken and fish and veggies/fruits drinking only water and milk breakfast. Whole grains no carbs & starches.

We walk 3-4 times a week, first it was just more like strolling around the neighborhood till we built up our stamina to walk faster and faster... 

Good Luck to you!!! There are lots of wonderful supportive people on here with tons of advice and I think there is even an over 100 group in here, they have all lost over 100 pounds. 

ballerina18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we would all be able to better give you tips and suggestions if you were more specific. Could you tell us what you are doing for exercise? What you have tried in terms of eating healthy. What does a typical day of eating right look like for you?

Personally, I try to keep things simple. I don't count calories or constantly check the scale. Instead I try to eat healthy, break a sweat everyday, and I try not to drink my calories (aka- drink only water).

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting traceydc:

I was in the same boat. I started taking Omni HCG Drops. The diet is strict but it works Ive lost 8lb & 8inches in 18 days. Im not doing as well as others because I fell off the wagon on Fathers Day and ended up with a gain. But I did lose it again and Im doing good!

I wouldn't touch HCG if you paid me good money.

I hope you researched the side effects and problems people have using it- and I also hope you are getting it from a doctor as there is no way to know what is actually in the drops you can buy...

I had a friend who wanted to lose 15 lbs and was super excited to do it- followed everything up to and during using it (got shots from the doctor) and got so sick about a week or two after starting that she quit

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

What kind of exercise were you doing and how much?

did you count calories / what kind of dieting have you tried?

boshs1andonly
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

all this sounds like good advice. a few years ago i was really good about counting calories and tracking what i ate, but with a toddler, i'm lucky to eat much less write down every little thing lol. so i just make better choices, and drink more water. I haven't been as good with exercise but I'm getting back on the ball. 

Quoting ballerina18:

I think we would all be able to better give you tips and suggestions if you were more specific. Could you tell us what you are doing for exercise? What you have tried in terms of eating healthy. What does a typical day of eating right look like for you?

Personally, I try to keep things simple. I don't count calories or constantly check the scale. Instead I try to eat healthy, break a sweat everyday, and I try not to drink my calories (aka- drink only water).

traceydc
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM
This isnt the shots . Im sorry she got sick. Is working great for me.
rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

It can be hard to really get going, especially if you're not seeing results. While losing weight for me is super important (started at 242 and I'm down to 217), my *goals* don't have anything to do with weight loss. Right now, my main goal is to get stronger and perfect my form in kickboxing (I do classes twice a week). So far, that's working well. It's keeping me motivated and it's helping me lose the weight.

My best advice for you is to pick something you enjoy doing, and do it a couple times a week. Make a list of your favorite fruits and veggies, and keep them in the house all the time. Switch out your favorite unhealthy snacks for a favorite healthy snack. Small changes can really go a long way!

pregosngmom
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Have your thyoid checked. If that is ok.  Start with the food pyramid. It's all about portion control.  Your biggest meal should be breakfast, healthy breakfast.  Eat a healthy high protein snack every two hrs  Dont' eat anything a few hrs. befor you go to bed.  low to no sugar.  very little bread.  basically, go on a heart healthy life change.  very low sugar, salt, carb.  Remember anything white turns to sugar. Sugar your body can't process which equals weight gain.  I wish the best for you.  Stay safe and healthy.  You can do this ..It's a long road, but not impossible..

ami.jo1985
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I get my thyroid checked about once a year. I have some mental conditions and I'm on quite a few medications and I know that's part of the problem, but I can't exactly go off them. 

My daily routine is generally walking, I do pushups, crunches and squats. I also play roller derby, which is very trying on your body.

I eat a low carb diet, diabetes runs in my family (I also get tested for that about once a year), I usually have an egg sandwhich or just scrambled eggs for breakfast, coffee (2 cups with sugar no cream), lunch is usually our biggest meal of the day and again a mostly protien meal, for examply tonight we had steak, rotini in a light garlic sauce and mixed veggies. And dinner is usually a fend for yourself deal, I generally stick too something with protien and maybe some veggies, rice or maybe just soup. (also, we have a bit of a f'd up sleep schedule, we stay up late usually until about 2 and get up around 11) and after my 2 cups of coffee, I generally stick to ice water for the rest of the day.

It's only my fiance and I in the house usually and our daughter comes to visit everyother weekend. We try to stay on track as much as possible we're both obese and are trying to lose weight, we worked with a nutritionist for the past two months and neither of us lost any weight.

-Ami

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)