Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Protein Bars???

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

OK so this morning I went with a friend to a hip hop dance aerobic class and it was awesome!! 

So after class the instructor says ok ladies now go have a protein bar within the hour of working out... 

I went shopping after leaving the class and I was checking out the bars and I got overwhelmed LOL there are so many and some have a lot of carbs... Some have 6grams of protein and some have 15grams... 

So my question is which bar? Any suggestions? And feed back on tastes too please... I am pretty picky... I don't want to feel like I am eating cardboard... LOL

Thanks!!!

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TheBookSiren
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not just about protien it's about sugar content. I can say any bar with less than 10g of protien probably isn't so great.
Cliff builder bars have 20g protien.
My husband takes bars only because he lifts so much and it helps with appetite when he can't get to his protien powder.

I'd say drinking protien powder, pure protien powder is probably better than what comes in most of those bars.

I used to like Natures Valley chewy protien bars, cliff bars, and ones in a purple box with yellow writing lol dont remember the name. All of then tasted good and had at least 10g protien. In case you're set on bars :)
cad1972
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Thanks for the info! I looked at protein powder today too... My SIL drinks that and Whey but she seriously looks like she is being tortured when she drinks it LOL So now I am scared of it!! LOL

TheBookSiren
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband loves his, I don't. I'm good with plugging my nose, chugging, and doing alittle dance around the kitchen while it goes down. Then its over in 10seconds and Im dandy! :)
I don't care so much about taste when it comes to eating healthy since I know my taste buds are pickier than most. Besides my "Chuggin it" dance is fun. ;)

Quoting cad1972:

Thanks for the info! I looked at protein powder today too... My SIL drinks that and Whey but she seriously looks like she is being tortured when she drinks it LOL So now I am scared of it!! LOL

ASPENOPS
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Stay away from all of them.  Most are no better than a candy bar.  Protein powder is the way to go.  Try Nectar by Syntrax or Elite XT by Dymatize....blend with a banana or drink straight.

Fyi...there is no direct benefit to injesting protein directly after cardio.  You should be consuming protein all day long.

cad1972
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM

That's funny!! My SIL does this wiggle thing too LOL Yea I am very picky and also have issues with texture... I may try the bars, I think the one you were talking about with the yellow was peanut butter... 

cad1972
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM

ok thanks... so should you even eat after if your not hungry? i do get protein throughout the day... 

breakfast is usually 1 egg 1 turkey patty sometimes cereal cheerios 2% milk but that if 1-2x a week.

i used to do the blended fruit smoothies so maybe i should go back to that too with something blended in it?

lunch grilled chicken breast sometimes over salad or veggies

dinner grilled fish chicken and veggies

I also have fruit in morn for a snack and I drink lots of water all day!

ASPENOPS
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on your nutrition.  After a good workout, you should be hungry.  Especially if you are eating clean 6 times a day.  Your metabolism is ripping through all that good food.  If you truly aren't hungry...yes.....eat anyway.  Keeping yourself full of clean food helps to stave off cravings.

Quoting cad1972:

ok thanks... so should you even eat after if your not hungry? i do get protein throughout the day... 

breakfast is usually 1 egg 1 turkey patty sometimes cereal cheerios 2% milk but that if 1-2x a week.

i used to do the blended fruit smoothies so maybe i should go back to that too with something blended in it?

lunch grilled chicken breast sometimes over salad or veggies

dinner grilled fish chicken and veggies

I also have fruit in morn for a snack and I drink lots of water all day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)