Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eat Like This, Never Diet Again

MomofHDFandNWF
OK -- what is up with this white stuff AGAIN!?!? How the heck are we suppose to have an Easter egg hunt outside in 2 days with this snow?
Today at 10:53 AM
Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 4 Replies

Would be interested in what you thought... some of the recipes he mentioned...

• Good Morning Gorp
  • Toasted Coconut Pancakes
  • Pasta with White Beans and Escarole
  • Black Bean Fajitas
  • Bulgar Pilaf with Blueberries

Eat Like This, Never Diet Again

How one change can forever improve how you look, feel, and live

The case for being a part-time vegan

The case for being a part-time vegan

When my longtime doctor suggested I eat a vegan diet, I thought he was joking. Sure, I was up more than a few pounds, and my cholesterol and blood sugar readings were on the wrong side of normal. But me, not eat everything? I write about food for a living, and like most of us, I wasn't prepared to forever give up the foods I enjoy—even if I could.

That was 6 years ago, and though I ate my share of plants, the idea of avoiding meat, dairy, poultry, and even fish seemed impossible. As a compromise, I decided to take his suggestion—most of the time: I would eat vegan before 6 PM.

By day, I'd adhere to a superstrict vegan diet. I decided to go even beyond that: Until suppertime, I'd also abstain from hyperprocessed white bread, rice, pasta, and junk food. I cut out alcohol, too. Once the sun went down, however, I'd be a free man, eating whatever I wanted, usually (but not always) in moderation. I might have pasta Bolognese with salad; I might roast a chicken; I might stir-fry some vegetables. I've kept it up ever since.

It was a significant but hardly onerous shift, and my body thanked me immediately: I lost 35 pounds and had more energy, and my overall health improved. Most important, the change has been easy to sustain.

As you probably know, the Standard American Diet (that's right—it's SAD) is upside down. Half of the calories consumed in America come from "junk"—well-advertised, processed "foods" that harm our bodies and provide little or no nutritional value. But when you flip that balance and emphasize vegetables, fruits, grains, and beans, you begin to see treats properly: as occasional indulgences. You also dramatically change the kinds of calories your body has to process and how and where they're used (and stored!).

But it's also about more than losing weight. The more I read, the more I learned about food waste, the rising costs of obesity in America, and the greenhouse gas emissions produced by raising, manufacturing, storing, and transporting food. The food industry accounts for 10% of all fossil fuel use in the United States.

So what are the easiest steps to becoming a part-time vegan? First, realize this is not a diet of self-denial and monotony. Forget the idea that all vegan food is brown rice and tofu. Shifting from animal to plant foods does not mean you have to be either-or. The beauty of this diet is the variety it encourages and its emphasis on real, natural foods. Finally, it's about making smart choices and sticking to them—at least before 6 PM.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/food/food-remedies/vegan-recipes-mark-bittman#ixzz2XXNPkDTN

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Amberleigh81
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I pretty much do this already... I eat vegan/vegetarian weekdays and whatever I want on weekends. I weigh less than I ever have (since high school) and I maintain it!!!
TheBookSiren
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I don't know

I think it worked for him. I think it wont work for everyone. I don't understand why people keep trying to reinvent the wheel, exercise and eating healthy wholesome foods is natural and works. Why mess with a good thing? If changing the order in the day that you eat the exact same foods makes someone feel like they made a difference in their life then that's good for them.
Most people try a million different things before they finally get back to basics and make a dfference. Read any success story from someone who has kept the weight off for years and you see the same pattern, they tried fads and restrictions, then they did the work and ate healthy and viola.
MomofHDFandNWF
OK -- what is up with this white stuff AGAIN!?!? How the heck are we suppose to have an Easter egg hunt outside in 2 days with this snow?
Today at 10:53 AM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I already do the exercise and watching what I eat - and it is working for me.  But, I also thought it was an interesting approach and for those trying to eat clean I would think these recipes would be a good place to start.

Quoting TheBookSiren:

I don't know

I think it worked for him. I think it wont work for everyone. I don't understand why people keep trying to reinvent the wheel, exercise and eating healthy wholesome foods is natural and works. Why mess with a good thing? If changing the order in the day that you eat the exact same foods makes someone feel like they made a difference in their life then that's good for them.
Most people try a million different things before they finally get back to basics and make a dfference. Read any success story from someone who has kept the weight off for years and you see the same pattern, they tried fads and restrictions, then they did the work and ate healthy and viola.

Amberleigh81
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I just do the 80/20 rule... 80% healthy, plant based, whole foods diet and 20% whatever I want...

Because the 80% is healthy, I don't really crave anything unhealthy anymore, but the occasional burger and fries doesn't make me feel guilty, KWIM? :)

Quoting TheBookSiren:

I don't know

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)